• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Any contractors/builders out there?

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

21 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I can't imagine he doesn't want to job. It should be pretty easy, straight forward work. It's easy enough to tell somebody you're booked out for the next three months if you don't want the job or if you're a one man crew just tell them thanks but no thanks that it's more work than you want to take on by yourself. You're not going to go through the effort of writing up a detailed quote if you don't want the job. That takes considerable time and time is money in this game.

At the end of the day, I don't know the local market. Could be that everyone is booked up and you can pretty much name your price and tell people to take it or leave it because there's plenty of work available. Honestly, it's largely still like that right now in WNC. If someone tells you they can get started right away you don't want them. There's plenty of work for people who are in demand.

Let me rephrase that.  He doesn't want the job for how little it will pay, but is willing to take it if you double or triple his hourly rate.

I'm in the biz, and while I don't do this type of work, I deal with LOTS of Subs, my father was an electrician, and my grandfather a framer/builder.

That was my Dad's phrase.  If someone called on a Saturday to go change out a ceiling fan, he would absolutely do it.  Cash, triple the going rate per hour.

This kinda reminds of that.

Let's kinda figure out what he actually is making to see if we are off or not?

2k for materials isn't All In.  You will still need nails, screws, etc....so add another 300?  Not sure, either way.

So 2,300 for materials, so 3,700 or so.  It will take the full 3 days, so that's about $150 per hour in labor, obviously he's paying taxes, insurance, etc. out of that, but to me that seems about 3X what it should be per hour.

Sounds like Saturday pay to me?

The more specialized the work the harder it is to get right now. I was talking to a buddy the other day who has been trying to get a mason for a stone retaining wall for over six months. Everyone is booked out to the point they're not even taking new jobs. He can't even get a quote. He reached out to me to see the guys who we worked with in the past and I rattled off some names and he's already called them. I'm like, man that's all I got. I don't know what else to tell you other than to start looking at non-masonry options. Stack some railroad ties or something. You can always do stone down the road if you want.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The more specialized the work the harder it is to get right now. I was talking to a buddy the other day who has been trying to get a mason for a stone retaining wall for over six months. Everyone is booked out to the point they're not even taking new jobs. He can't even get a quote. He reached out to me to see the guys who we worked with in the past and I rattled off some names and he's already called them. I'm like, man that's all I got. I don't know what else to tell you other than to start looking at non-masonry options. Stack some railroad ties or something. You can always do stone down the road if you want.

I’ve moved on to other parts of the project in hopes that the 5 dollars per block price comes down when demand declines, or if it declines.

The coolest demo find I've came across was an old wooden crate full of Civil War relics. That's a long story. I ended up being directly related to the people the items belonged to and the property owner gave them to me because she was wealthy and had no interest and she saw I had a huge interest. The appraisal surprised me. Let's just say I have an insurance rider for these items and other than my real estate they're my most valuable earthly possessions.  There are two specific items that are possibly the best known surviving examples of each.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, OHYO said:

It has Washington College wrote on it to. Its 2 mantels built by them in the late 1800’s I would assume.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_College_Academy

18D22A10-A627-4360-B7F3-C48D5B43AA5F.jpeg

3390790C-05DA-40DD-88D9-74E1B0C91AFE.jpeg

Yeah, definitely reuse that. I'm just an absolute sucker for history. Give me something old with a story to tell over the latest and greatest all day everyday.

23 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, definitely reuse that. I'm just an absolute sucker for history. Give me something old with a story to tell over the latest and greatest all day everyday.

I don’t want to high jack this thread. I’m a sucker for history also. We met one of the ancestors, he just showed up from Florida one day. His knowledge has cleared up lots of questions we had about the property. It has a hidden room only accessible from the attic.

Can you share some pictures of the treasure?

Edited by OHYO

Prices are just high. I'm an unlimited contractor and currently took an additonal job for another contractor out of Florida who's licensed himself in NC to build a summer home on Beech Mountain. I'm only providing him labor for the framing and decking and I'm charging him $75 per man hour, 25k up front start of construction fee and 7% total labor commission at completion or termination of contract. He's paying not even batting an eye because he can't find anyone else to do it within 6 months.

On my own projects I'm charging upwards of $300-$400 per foot on turn key custom home construction currently.

Edited by Floppin

14 minutes ago, Floppin said:

Prices are just high. I'm an unlimited contractor and currently took an additonal job for another contractor out of Florida who's licensed himself in NC to build a summer home on Beech Mountain. I'm only providing him labor for the framing and decking and I'm charging him $75 per man hour, 25k up front start of construction fee and 7% total labor commission at completion or termination of contract. He's paying not even batting an eye because he can't find anyone else to do it within 6 months.

On my own projects I'm charging upwards of $300-$400 per foot on turn key custom home construction currently.

Have you met Tommy Burleson yet? He was  the electrical inspector there. He played for NC State with David Thompson.

Just now, OHYO said:

Have you met Tommy Burleson yet? He was  the electrical inspector there. He played for NC State with David Thompson.

Yeah man. I'm from Boone originally. I've built in the mountains for 25 years, but I'm currently based in Mooresville.