• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wanna predict the hottest time of the year? Let LG plan to do deck work.

LinvilleGorge

Contractors started mine about 3 weeks ago. Removed the deck in 4 hours, 16x20 screened porch going up: Trex decking, vinyl sleeved posts, vinyl step railing, metal roof. The siding inside the porch will be a metal vertical board-on-board. 55" outdoor TV on the front wall between the windows and dog door.

Waiting on the siding, then ceiling can go in. Aluminum guy will wrap everything, install screen and 2 doors. Gables will be done with gray siding removed from the house. 

Day 1.jpg

Day 3.jpg

Day 7.jpg

Day 12.jpg

Edited by Anybodyhome

20 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'd deal with triple digits before dealing with NYC and I hate heat. But I hate big cities a lot more.

I live at the beach. 🙂

Still in "NYC" but basically a beach town. But yeah, before last month I was in Brooklyn for 12 years. Still WAY better than Manhattan though.

34 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Contractors started mine about 3 weeks ago. Removed the deck in 4 hours, 16x20 screened porch going up: Trex decking, vinyl sleeved posts, vinyl step railing, metal roof. The siding inside the porch will be a metal vertical board-on-board. 55" outdoor TV on the front wall between the windows and dog door.

Waiting on the siding, then ceiling can go in. Aluminum guy will wrap everything, install screen and 2 doors. Gables will be done with gray siding removed from the house. 

Day 1.jpg

Day 3.jpg

Day 7.jpg

Day 12.jpg

Looks good.  Not to be nosey but I am going to put a new roof on my place in the next year and wonder how much it cost to upgrade your porch roof from standard shingles to the metal?  Would like to do something similar over my front port.

Edited by Paa Langfart

41 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Day 1.jpg

Day 3.jpg

Day 7.jpg

Day 12.jpg

At first glance I thought that OSB was brick and was like what in the hell is going on here? 😂

2 hours ago, Paa Langfart said:

Looks good.  Not to be nosey but I am going to put a new roof on my place in the next year and wonder how much it cost to upgrade your porch roof from standard shingles to the metal?  Would like to do something similar over my front port.

Metal will run you about 2.5-3x more than a shingle roof. I have a workshop in the backyard that has a black metal roof and we thought it would be a nice upgrade.

It was originally priced with PT wood decking and a shingle roof start to finish at $34k. Upgraded to Trex decking, metal roof and added a second set of steps and a second doorway. Complete labor & material is $41k.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, toldozer said:

Last I looked the composite boards were about the same cost of the shitty lumber you can get.  Whenever I get around to redoing our deck off our sunroom and stairs off our kitchen it'll be composite.  Whatever I get the dogs are going to fug it up anyway

Trex runs close to triple the cost but doesn't require painting or staining so you save on the back end. Word of warning, that poo gets HOT in the sun.

If I was considering Trex I'd just make the leap all the way to Ipe. I'd love to do Ipe but I have nearly 1200 square feet of porch and deck. It would be brutally expensive for me even doing all the work myself. I'd be looking at close to $20k in lumber cost.

10 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Trex runs close to triple the cost but doesn't require painting or staining so you save on the back end. Word of warning, that poo gets HOT in the sun.

If I was considering Trex I'd just make the leap all the way to Ipe. I'd love to do Ipe but I have nearly 1200 square feet of porch and deck. It would be brutally expensive for me even doing all the work myself. I'd be looking at close to $20k in lumber cost.

I was looking at timbertech and I found a lumber calculator and it was coming out about 600 dollars more for the composite for a 20x16 deck but I'll take your word for it. I built a 16x16 floating deck at our old house but my architect father in law ordered all the materials I just paid the bill