• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Delhomme knows its over

Lilsmitty09

I imagine it would be hard to admit to yourself that you are no longer good enough. Especially when you held a job that only about 32-40 other people got to

do a year. To have to admit that you are no longer in that elite class of individuals would not be an easy thing. Especially with how hard he had to work to get to were he was.

Can you guys think of any other examples of a franchise quarterback that had been with a team for the better part of a decade willingly accepting being a backup going into a new season?

I'm absolutely convinced that Jake is going to be cut. With as much $$$ as he's due to make next year, he's going to start if he's brought back. Since that probably won't happen, he's going to be released.

Can you guys think of any other examples of a franchise quarterback that had been with a team for the better part of a decade willingly accepting being a backup going into a new season?

I'm absolutely convinced that Jake is going to be cut. With as much $$$ as he's due to make next year, he's going to start if he's brought back. Since that probably won't happen, he's going to be released.

I could see it going either way. We have to pay him either way and I dont think Jake has the ego where he wouldnt come back as a backup.

When Brady supplanted him, Drew Bledsoe was traded in the offseason.

Pennington was released when he was benched in favor of Kellen Clemens and then when Favre was brought into the Jets.

Leftwich was benched in favor of Garrard and was then cut before the next season began.

Jake Plummer was traded in the offseason when he was benched in favor of Jay Cutler.

Bledsoe was released after being benched in favor of Romo, although he was only with the Cowboys for two seasons.

I mean...this just doesn't happen. Every other situation like the Panthers are in currently has led to the quarterback either being released, traded, or retiring.

I could see it going either way. We have to pay him either way and I dont think Jake has the ego where he wouldnt come back as a backup.

It's not being egotistical. Who could blame him?

Think about your own job situation. You're a loyal company guy for the better part of a decade and even helped your company set sales records in the past.

Five years after you get there, the company brings in a young, upstart guy that you haze and that looks to you for advice.

A couple of years go by and your boss decides to dump you in favor of the young guy.

You can either stick around and have all of your old perks taken away from you in favor of the young guy whose presence everyday reminds you that your own skills have deteriorated or....

You can just ask to be released and get paid millions of dollars to sit at home. Or your boss says no and you could just quit and ride around on your horses all day for the rest of your life because you have enough money to do so already.

I mean, this seems like a no-brainer from Jake Delhomme's point of view. If he's not going to start next year, I don't see why in the world why he would want to stay.

Here's a football-related analogy: Jake Delhomme being benched is like if John Fox were removed from his head coaching duties in favor of Ron Meeks, but Jerry Richardson would allow Fox to stay as the defensive coordinator if he'd like. What do you think Fox would do?

Archived