• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Wilks is a better coach than Frank Reich. And it's not even close.

Dorian Gray

Just now, GhostWhispah said:

Only a fool would put Purdy in the same group as JimmyG and SamD. 

Purdy is the BEST system QB to date to run Kyle's complex playbook since Kirk/Ryan. NOTHING wrong then being a system QB as long as you are efficient at it which Purdy is. Not sure WHY Kyle wanted a super raw QB like Trey who only real benefit is his strong cannon arm. Never liked that pick for them from day 1. Purdy is the right QB imho. Only someone as clueless as you think they need a Mahomes to win.

He couldn't win last year with a better D and he won't this year either. He is fun but he is also getting exposed, that is when he can stay healthy which is another of his issues. If Sam takes his spot then I am going to be laughing all the more at you and your endless crap takes on everything. 

4 minutes ago, Waldo said:

He couldn't win last year with a better D and he won't this year either. He is fun but he is also getting exposed, that is when he can stay healthy which is another of his issues. If Sam takes his spot then I am going to be laughing all the more at you and your endless crap takes on everything. 

Cause he was hurt in the playoff but since are as clueless on other teams other than our own team, you are just out of touch. Admit it, we will understand.

27 minutes ago, Waldo said:

He could make a killer living being the just interim option for teams with hot seats. He didn't have any problems not staffing in Arizona which is insane to me that they staffed most of that staff before hiring him. And I don't think he brings much on the personnel side either. 

Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily make him a personnel guy either, though I do give him credit for seeing through Josh Rosen when the Cardinals didn't.

To me, the more interesting comparison is between Wilks and Ejiro Evero as DCs. Wilks is a motivator, but Evero is more of a technician. He runs a complex scheme that requires smart players.

That's one reason why I think the defense has been a little down over the last several games. The personnel are at least decently suited to a 3-4 scheme, but picking up all the nuances of what Evero does might take some time.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I never jumped on the Purdy hype train.

31 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily make him a personnel guy either, though I do give him credit for seeing through Josh Rosen when the Cardinals didn't.

To me, the more interesting comparison is between Wilks and Ejiro Evero as DCs. Wilks is a motivator, but Evero is more of a technician. He runs a complex scheme that requires smart players.

That's one reason why I think the defense has been a little down over the last several games. The personnel are at least decently suited to a 3-4 scheme, but picking up all the nuances of what Evero does might take some time.

Personnel needs more healthy talent but I aagree. I just don't understand why they would choose to make a huge switch on the D and make such a big move for a rookie QB. Even if we had a decently suited roster for it that is still a 2 year process at best. They may look better towards the end of the year but their ceiling isn't looking great so far.

40 minutes ago, GhostWhispah said:

Cause he was hurt in the playoff but since are as clueless on other teams other than our own team, you are just out of touch. Admit it, we will understand.

And he is hurt now. Kind of seems like a trend you could see if your nose wasn't all the way up to his sternum.

If you want to play the local dipshit then find someone else to make a fool of yourself with.

4 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Personnel needs more healthy talent but I aagree. I just don't understand why they would choose to make a huge switch on the D and make such a big move for a rookie QB. Even if we had a decently suited roster for it that is still a 2 year process at best. They may look better towards the end of the year but their ceiling isn't looking great so far.

There are honestly some parallels between our new quarterback and the defensive changes.

Previously, the guy most would call our best quarterback was primarily a guy with great athletic skills and good brains. Now we have a guy with decent athletic skills and great brains. Each guy uses their superior skills in one area if they miss something in the other. Either way though, it's a very different approach.

Likewise, Wilks defense is best built with athletes. That doesn't mean Evero doesn't need that as well mind you, but it's more important for his guys to be smart and make good decisions.

So again, it's an adjustment.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

There are honestly some parallels between our new quarterback and the defensive changes.

Previously, the guy most would call our best quarterback was primarily a guy with great athletic skills and good brains. Now we have a guy with decent athletic skills and great brains. Each guy uses their superior skills in one area if they miss something in the other. Either way though, it's a very different approach.

Likewise, Wilks defense is best built with athletes. That doesn't mean Evero doesn't need that as well mind you, but it's more important for his guys to be smart and make good decisions.

So again, it's an adjustment.

That's where I disagree with you. Fritterer literally said they could drop a QB in and win. It looks like they gaged wrong. The oline doesn't fit their QB and the D needed more time with that switch. There is no way to spin that, he said it in Feburary and it's easy to find in a search.

34 minutes ago, Waldo said:

That's where I disagree with you. Fritterer literally said they could drop a QB in and win. It looks like they gaged wrong. The oline doesn't fit their QB and the D needed more time with that switch. There is no way to spin that, he said it in Feburary and it's easy to find in a search.

Remember he also was setting low expectations for this year.

I hardly ever pay attention to stuff like that either way though because it's what they're expected to say. Nobody's gonna go into a season downplaying how good it's gonna be.

The reality of a new coaching staff, new schemes on both sides of the ball and a rookie quarterback was always evident.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Remember he also was setting low expectations for this year.

I hardly ever pay attention to stuff like that either way though because it's what they're expected to say. Nobody's gonna go into a season downplaying how good it's gonna be.

The reality of a new coaching staff, new schemes on both sides of the ball and a rookie quarterback was always evident.

Low expectations don't explain how poorly the roster is built. New coaching staff doesn't explain why the Burns situation has been handled so poorly. It also doesn't  explain trading your best WR away to draft a rookie QB that they desperately need now. They made moves like they were a QB away and it shows. This was no rebuild, they were competing this year. All of that became the new angle when they fell on their faces the forst 1/3 of the season.

Yes there should be some improvement through out the rest of the year but it's not even looking good in that context.

• Pie 1

45 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Low expectations don't explain how poorly the roster is built. New coaching staff doesn't explain why the Burns situation has been handled so poorly. It also doesn't  explain trading your best WR away to draft a rookie QB that they desperately need now. They made moves like they were a QB away and it shows. This was no rebuild, they were competing this year. All of that became the new angle when they fell on their faces the forst 1/3 of the season.

Yes there should be some improvement through out the rest of the year but it's not even looking good in that context.

You're covering a couple of different things here that low expectations don't really have much to do with, but I'll try to answer.

Anytime you switch coaches, there's going to be some roster flux since you're going from one system to another. Sometimes that's only on one side of the ball. In our case, it's both.

You could also argue that it's probably a little more than usual because we're not going so much from an established pro-system to another. We're going from whatever the hell it was Matt Rhule had in place to actual pro schemes.

What did they think it was? Realistically, we don't know. We know what they said, but it's not reasonable given the situation we were in.

As far as Burns, that's no different than any other contract extension / franchise guy discussion that's had every year. Hell, we've had that before with Julius Peppers.