• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

No more DWill trade posts plz

Brokenbad

I remember one of the local beat writers asking DeAngelo about getting a contract extension after his 1500 yard season. He said that it was too early to talk about it, but he said that he is not all about money. He went on to say that he liked living here in Charlotte, and really hoped that he could stay here for a long time.

What I got out of this is this, he seems to be knowledgeable and knows that the lifespan of a RB is shorter than most other positions. He moved his mother here from Arkansas, or where ever he is from. I think that he may give the Panthers a discount on his next contract.

Now, the Panthers on the other hand, could be looking to get something for him. Still, if he has a clause in his contract to void any trade, he may exercise that option.

I do not think that DeAngelo wants to go, and if there were a trade it would have to be really valuable, to both the Panthers and DeAngelo. Like say a mid-first round pick and DeAngelo going to a competitive team.

I know both of them would demand huge contracts if/when they hit free agency. I'm not sure what kind of fantasy world exists where we can sign them both near their true market value and yet still keep our other key players.

Even giving one of them a big contract and letting the other walk it's going to be tough to keep guys like Thomas Davis, Beason, Otah, Kalil and other decent depth players. Unless one or both have serious career limiting injuries we're not going to be able to keep them both past their rookie contracts.

You do realise that teams are able to fit more than one big contract on the team, yeah?

By the time DWills extension would be up, Smith, Delhomme, Peppers, Brayton, Gross, Lewis, Kemo, Moose will either be too old to spend any money on, or no longer with the team, or retired.

I do not agree with keeping DWill at all costs, but to think we could not have DWill extended and Stew extended is a touch naive. Stew has 3 years remaining on his rookie deal. If you extended DWill for 3 years this off season (4 total years), then you can simply cut him if he declines seriously in Stews final rookie year contract.

One other thing to consider. Runningbacks are one of the lower paid positions at the top of the talent lader. An average of just over $8mil salary for the top 5. Westbrook and LTs contracts are soon to be torn up, so that figure will drop immensely. Bush's contract is also up in the air, so look for that to drop the average as well. So if you think an extension for DWill will be in lines of a Peyton Manning type deal, then you are sorely mistaken. If there is any position you can manage to have two decently paid players, it's at HB, however with Stew's rookie deal still having 3 years to go we will only have one decently paid HB.

I disagree with moving either one, not based on money though, but on longevity. Get as much as you can out of both on their rookie deals and thus always have a cheap insurance policy.

The lucky thing we have, is that all our young promising players, play in positions that are 'low value'. Centres are not exactly the big buck players, nor are LBs. If we had WRs, QBs, OTs, CBs or DEs to extend, then we would be in more trouble. As it is, Richard Marshall could be our only expensive extension we have to deal with and luckily he is a RFA and thus we can tender him for one more year.

Do not get caught up into the hype of extensions always equaling big cap hits. Often that hit only comes in the final year or two, so DWills potential contract would not have a big impact on the young guys. Once the production drops, drop or trade. Simple.

Archived