• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So how did we get it so wrong with Baker Mayfield?!? Coaching / Roster / Culture / Tepper?

TheBigKat

Its simple..........as a franchise the current ownership and front office of the Panthers represent the penalty box of franchises for aspiring NFL players. 

You go to Carolina its like going to Siberia during the USSR days.......and we ain't talking weather.  

Edited by PghPanther
  • Pie 1

17 hours ago, electro's horse said:

Baker was probably not fully healthy in Carolina. Not that he’ll ever be fully healthy, but he was hurting a little and I don’t think he really got back into shape until later in the year. 

bob Mcadoo ran a notoriously complex offense in New York when he was the OC. Just tons of option routes and stuff requiring the wr and qb to be on the same page. Like they both need to be able to read outside leverage and a safe drifting away and both knowing they need to throw the inside variant. 

this is a huge problem for baker for three reasons. The first is that Rhule split first team reps all through training camp and preseason for whatever goddamn reason. I think Rhule really thought have an open competition was more important than letting baker build up a rapport with the receivers.

People talk about Bryce and receivers not being on the same page every time he three hops a pass or tosses it into the front row. that’s just a qb being poo. Baker was very clearly throwing different routes than the receivers were running. After the first month of the season the wheels were falling off. And that leads to point number two….

Baker is pure vibes. Just the vibes-iest qb in the league. I cannot explain this but it’s just one of those things that you’ll agree with if you think about it. We all know people like that: great when things are going well, useless when things are challenging. When things are going good they’re good. When things are not they’re not. Imagine a dude like that on this team

Lastly baker isn’t exactly a cerebral qb, or person. This is a guy who drove an hour to cheat on his wife in a Cheesecake Factory parking lot. Mcadoos offense was probably the worst thing for him. Everyone was talking about how amazing it was he learned the playbook in LA on short notice, but McVay probably was telling him where to throw over headset. 

I think he would have done well in the second half of the season when Wilkes told Mcadoo to stop being fuging cute and run the damn ball. Baker excels when he’s making simple reads and just slinging it. He’s doing so well in Tampa because he’s got two wide receivers that can get open. He doesn’t have a hose of an arm; he’s more a poor man’s Joe burrow. But he can execute a simple offense and that’s what the bucs did. 

i don’t know what happens with baker moving forward. Bucs might be without Canales, their offensive coordinator, and Mike Evans who they didn’t extend. They’re probably gonna resign him. 

But that’s what happened in Carolina. Overly complex offense, not enough time with receivers because of Rhule, and bad vibes. 

I've never seen that video before - good lord, it's like they're about to visit the grim reaper.