• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Go back to power running scheme..

Jmac

On 2/5/2024 at 9:54 AM, CRA said:

it's 2024.  Goal shouldn't be to hide your QB behind a dominant run game....especially a #1 overall QB you traded 2 first and DJ Moore for. 

Entire league is designed to take advantage of the pass attack.   It's so easy the short pass attack has supplement/replaced a lot of the run game.  We shouldn't be building toward a John Fox O because Bryce sucks.  You just replace Bryce.   

No run game would have been dominant last season given what the pass O was doing.  It's actually impressive our run game did what it did last season given at no point was an opposing D worried about the pass.  

You can act like a strong run game is antiquated, but 3 of the top 4 teams in the NFL this year (Ravens, Lions, 49ers) are top 5 in rush yards & rush TDs.

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, MasterAwesome said:

You can act like a strong run game is antiquated, but 3 of the top 4 teams in the NFL this year (Ravens, Lions, 49ers) are top 5 in rush yards & rush TDs.

Some people just want the NFL to turn into a glorified 7-on-7 drill.  Screw the trench players and RBs.  I guess we still need a center to hike the ball unless the QB picks the ball up himself from the turf.  The defense needs to count to five Mississippi before they can rush though!

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

Running the ball is fine.  You need to run. 

building an OL that runs blocks and sucks at pass blocking isn’t fine.  Being an offense that can only threaten with the run isn’t fine.   

If you have a good QB and a threatening pass attack….you can run with anyone at RB.  Rookies.  Cheap backs.    

• Pie 1

13 hours ago, CRA said:

Running the ball is fine.  You need to run. 

building an OL that runs blocks and sucks at pass blocking isn’t fine.  Being an offense that can only threaten with the run isn’t fine.   

If you have a good QB and a threatening pass attack….you can run with anyone at RB.  Rookies.  Cheap backs.    

All the guy literally said was "Young can benefit from a dominant run game" which is a pretty unobjectionable fact.  Every QB can benefit from a dominant run game.  It just seems like you're confused about the distinction between "Young can benefit from a dominant run game" and "let's completely ditch the pass and focus on being exclusively a run team".  The latter is what you're arguing against, which is something no one is proposing.

You do recognize that you can have a dominant run game without being one-dimensional, right?  Those same top teams I mentioned earlier are proof of that.  The takeaway being that a strong run game complements the pass, and vice versa.  They're synergistic elements to the type of high-functioning versatile elite offense we should be striving towards.  You don't want to be one-dimensional in either direction.

2 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

All the guy literally said was "Young can benefit from a dominant run game" which is a pretty unobjectionable fact.  Every QB can benefit from a dominant run game.  It just seems like you're confused about the distinction between "Young can benefit from a dominant run game" and "let's completely ditch the pass and focus on being exclusively a run team".  The latter is what you're arguing against, which is something no one is proposing.

You do recognize that you can have a dominant run game without being one-dimensional, right?  Those same top teams I mentioned earlier are proof of that.  The takeaway being that a strong run game complements the pass, and vice versa.  They're synergistic elements to the type of high-functioning versatile elite offense we should be striving towards.  You don't want to be one-dimensional in either direction.

generally speaking, if someone says we need a dominant run game and are referencing he team we just had.....I consider that implying we should build and use our resources to build a stand alone dominant run game that can exist even with the garbage passing of last year existing.  So to me, that would take big resources and commitment IMO to building a dominant attack and essentially a team from prior eras.  

Key is always going to be the QB and pass game for me.  That's what makes it all work in today's NFL.   Biggest problem with our run game last year, is the passing game was an utter joke.  Bryce and the O made us one dimensional and easy to stop....and they helped neuter our rush attack.   You got to fix the pass game to really fix the run game.  Outside of maybe short yardage try and stop us scenarios.   

• Pie 1

On 2/5/2024 at 10:02 AM, 45catfan said:

Lol, with the year.  Yes, the NFL is made to be pass happy now, but a solid run game game can take you far.

I mean let's make RBs go the way of FBs, scrap the trenches and make the entire League like the Pro Bowl game.  That looks fun!

If Tepper/Fittereer screwed the pooch with Bryce and can't turn into a legit #1 QB, he absolutely needs a running game to help him out.  I need that too in order for the games to be tolerable to watch.

A strong passing game and solid rushing attack are not mutually exclusive, even in 2024.

On 2/5/2024 at 10:35 AM, 45catfan said:

We can utilize a power running out of the gate without hardly any personnel changes.   Heck, Wilks nearly parlayed a dominant run game into a full time HC gig here and he did it mid-season.  Not only that, but our OL is suited to a downhill style too and no, we aren't replacing the  entire OL this season either, so work to their strengths.

On 2/5/2024 at 1:00 PM, 45catfan said:

A day 3 rookie isn't getting overpaid, not on his rookie deal anyway.  That's what I, and a few others, were advocating for.  We've already got Sanders to fit the bill you described, except the stud part.

2 hours ago, CRA said:

generally speaking, if someone says we need a dominant run game and are referencing he team we just had.....I consider that implying we should build and use our resources to build a stand alone dominant run game that can exist even with the garbage passing of last year existing.  So to me, that would take big resources and commitment IMO to building a dominant attack and essentially a team from prior eras.  

Key is always going to be the QB and pass game for me.  That's what makes it all work in today's NFL.   Biggest problem with our run game last year, is the passing game was an utter joke.  Bryce and the O made us one dimensional and easy to stop....and they helped neuter our rush attack.   You got to fix the pass game to really fix the run game.  Outside of maybe short yardage try and stop us scenarios.   

Instead of attempting to subjectively interpret what he said, why don't we just read it as it is written?  "A strong passing game and solid rushing attack are not mutually exclusive" does not mean "abandon the pass game and focus exclusively on the run game" as you interpreted.  "We can utilize a power running game out of the gate without hardly any personnel changes" does not mean "let's pump all of our resources into the run game and completely overhaul our offensive line to get players who are good at run blocking and suck at pass blocking" as you interpreted.  In fact, the only resource he mentions using is a Day 3 pick on a running back...which is exactly what you said smart teams do.  Otherwise, sounds like he just wants to adjust the scheme which is not a resource investment.

• Pie 1