• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trade Deadline

22 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Which prospect“s”… Niki, Pono, FUS, Nadeau, Morrow and Perets should be off the list in that order. But I have a feeling one or more of them wouldn’t be. I’d also consider Vondros on the NTL too. 

I disagree. We can’t keep holding on to prospects that haven’t even touched ice for us yet minus one Pono and Perets game.  We need to face it that if we get a big name trade, they are going to absolutely going to lose 1 or 2 of these guys. I’m all for it. ESP if it make us much better and they win a cup.  Can’t keep stashing guys and not winning cups. That formula ain’t worked yet.  

• Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

I disagree. We can’t keep holding on to prospects that haven’t even touched ice for us yet minus one Pono and Perets game.  We need to face it that if we get a big name trade, they are going to absolutely going to lose 1 or 2 of these guys. I’m all for it. ESP if it make us much better and they win a cup.  Can’t keep stashing guys and not winning cups. That formula ain’t worked yet.  

Ya. We all know you are willing to mortgage the farm for a 2 month rental. The issue that you aren’t really accounting for is 5 out of 7 of those guys won’t see nhl ice for a few years. Outside of Pono and maybe FUS(who I could see jumping the AHL from what we saw this pre-season), even Perets needs AHL time. They will become our core over time. 

We have plenty of other good prospects that are serviceable for a 2 month INJURED and Injury prone rental who will need time adjusting to our system. Not our high end prospects. Thats why I’d prefer Buch who I think we can get for a much more reasonable price and he’s got a year left on his contract. 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 3

Also we have to think, we only have 5 forwards and 3 blue liners signed next year. I’m not counting Staal because honestly if we win a cup I think he may retire, if we don’t I’m still not sure he’s gonna finish this contract though he’d probably stay around for 1 more year. Now is the perfect time to slot it in Pono and someone like FUS. 

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Ya. We all know you are willing to mortgage the farm for a 2 month rental. The issue that you aren’t really accounting for is 5 out of 7 of those guys won’t see nhl ice for a few years. Outside of Pono and maybe FUS(who I could see jumping the AHL from what we saw this pre-season), even Perets needs AHL time. They will become our core over time. 

We have plenty of other good prospects that are serviceable for a 2 month INJURED and Injury prone rental who will need time adjusting to our system. Not our high end prospects. Thats why I’d prefer Buch who I think we can get for a much more reasonable price and he’s got a year left on his contract. 

If it wins us a cup...heck I am!   Buch would be good too though.  Prob would be cheaper and have term.  

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, KingKucci said:

If it wins us a cup...heck I am!   Buch would be good too though.  Prob would be cheaper and have term.  

If we want to go “all in” I’d go for Buch and Vatrano. Issue with Vatrano or Zegres for that matter is the ducks have filled their allotment of retention so any deal for them would be at full price without a partner. I just don’t like what I’m hearing out of the Guentzel market, as cool as it would be to have him here for the run, floated about what Vancouver offered which is massive. Hoglander, 2x prospect and a first is the highest rumor I saw so far. 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I don't want to mortgage our future for Guentzel.  He is now "the top" forward, but I don't know if he gets us over the top.  He's good, but we also have to remember he's played with Crosby most of his career....

I like Buch better with term and probably a lower cost. 

I'd also look into what Vatrano and Reilly would cost.  Reilly just hasn't found his place in Pittsburgh, maybe he could here?

I think the Penguins would want Perets BTW - they are goalie needy too.

• Pie 1

I know some Canes fans think the "big" name forwards available are the key to a Cup, but let me just point to New Jersey last year who paid big for Timo, the biggest name available, just to lose to us in the playoffs and now are plodding through a miserable year.

Well thought out decisions are better than impulse all day, every day.  I have been happy that the Canes always seem to be in contention and I know there is a window for a cup, but I don't want stupid decisions destroying the Canes like what has happened to the Panthers. 

Give me a fair deal for Buch, kick the tires on Vatrano and Reilly, and see what you can come out with. 

Our D will be OK even if we trade TDA and we aren't getting a goalie.  We are rolling with the D and G we have.  It's all about the forwards.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Rocky Davis said:

I don't want to mortgage our future for Guentzel.  He is now "the top" forward, but I don't know if he gets us over the top.  He's good, but we also have to remember he's played with Crosby most of his career....

I like Buch better with term and probably a lower cost. 

I'd also look into what Vatrano and Reilly would cost.  Reilly just hasn't found his place in Pittsburgh, maybe he could here?

I think the Penguins would want Perets BTW - they are goalie needy too.

Disagree, Guentzel is a playoff performer.... we need to get it done IMO 

• Pie 2

15 hours ago, DavidEng said:

Yep, Mark Stone will miraculously recover off LTIR just in time for the playoffs, exactly like last year. That’s how they circumvent the salary cap at trade deadline.

I think Turbo could be heading to LTIR and recover come playoff time

Concussions are finicky like that 😉

• Beer 1

14 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

If we give up Morrow and a pick for Guentzel and we A) don’t win the Cup or B) he doesn’t re-sign, I’m going to be pissed.

You have to think Morrow and Unger-Sorum are the possible trades.... I'd give morrow.. Unger-Sorum I would begrudgingly trade.

• Pie 1

The Time is now with all the expiring contracts we have to get a guy that can push us over the top, this year is definitely our best chance to get a cup, we will still be in the playoffs next season regardless IMO but we are gonna lose some guys I don't think they will have the potential of this year's squad.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, CarolinaWillRise said:

You have to think Morrow and Unger-Sorum are the possible trades.... I'd give morrow.. Unger-Sorum I would begrudgingly trade.

No way in hell I’d give up FUS. I truly think we could fit him on the 4th line next season with Pono. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Harbingers said:

No way in hell I’d give up FUS. I truly think we could fit him on the 4th line next season with Pono. 

I wouldn't want to either but If we are already saying hard no to Necas/Nickishin he's the only one I think with the Juice to get it done....

If he's not traded I think he makes the roster (just doubt it's on the 4th line) he's a player maker and with Turbo likely gone next season my prediction his he makes the top 6 If not traded

• Pie 1