• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

89's reaction to the Combine

Just a few spoilers (paraphrasing)

Smitty was surprised that receivers weren't better prepared. Speed was emphasized over technique.

Adonai Mitchell showed some inconsistency, as did Keon Coleman. They didn't do bad, they just didn't necessarily help themselves.

Troy Franklin? Nah, bro!

Legette may have helped himself a little.

Which team will over-draft Worthy to be a WR1?

Odunze helped himself the most.

Perhaps the most important nugget at ~12 minute mark: You armchair scouts trying to tell him that he didn't know what he was talking about in regards to Mingo need to chill (or STFU). Essentially 32 teams had Mingo rated higher than Tank Dell. One of the problems with Mingo is that our coaches didn't know what the hell they were doing, as Mingo excels at outbreaking routes as opposed to in-breaking routes which is how we were trying to use him. 

On an off note: The X is the speed guy. The Z is more of the route technician.

------------

My final thoughts:

Take it all FWIW. I'm still listening to what Smitty has to say with ears wide open. He knows more about scouting receivers than all of us. And, yeah, though AD Mitchell was inconsistent, I hope that he's still on the board when we pick. It's the coaches' job to polish him up. If still there, it's going to be between him and Ladd McConkey at 33...and maybe Xavier Legette. A lot of this stuff will come down to individual workouts.

• Pie 9

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, DJ feed me moore said:

Dont wanna go WR at 33. Just feels like your gunna draft a guy with major hole's in his game, we need football players at every level, get the BPA.

At this point, I just can't see how WR won't be the BPA. It's that deep. I mean, some weird stuff has gotta happen for WR not to be the BPA. And it's being said that the over-drafting of QBs is going to cause some of these quality receivers to slide down.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

I disagree.   On paper this is one of the best and deepest wr drafts there has been.  Its a perfect time to need a wr and not have a pick before 33.

Especially if you have 4 plus QBs go in the first.  One of those are probably dropping to pick 33.  

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, DJ feed me moore said:

and we will get the 8-9th best one. another jag who you pray can be a WR2

I doubt that happens, but, even still, what do you think that people mean when they say that the position is deep? It's not a bad thing.

3 minutes ago, DJ feed me moore said:

and we will get the 8-9th best one. another jag who you pray can be a WR2

Thats not how it works though.  There were lots of wide receivers last year that went much later than 33 and had huge holes compared to what we can get at 33 this year that contributed greatly to their teams last season.    Puka had one of the best receiving rookie seasons in history and went in the 5th round and had plenty of holes in his game.  

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

There ain't gonna be 7 WRs drafted in the 1st. 

I'd be surprised.  MHJ, Nabors, and Odunze will go early with Thomas probably middle of the first.  Outside of that it looks like a guessing game...  4 definite plus probably or or 2 more.  

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I'd be surprised.  MHJ, Nabors, and Odunze will go early with Thomas probably middle of the first.  Outside of that it looks like a guessing game...  4 definite plus probably or or 2 more.  

Same for the QBs. I think there are four 1st round locks with Williams, Maye, and Daniels probably going top 5 and potentially 1, 2, 3 with McCarthy probably going somewhere in the 10-15 range. Nix and Penix are total wildcards IMO and draft evaluations on them from team to team probably vary wildly if I was guessing. The medical evals for Penix are going to be huge.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Same for the QBs. I think there are four 1st round locks with Williams, Maye, and Daniels probably going top 5 and potentially 1, 2, 3 with McCarthy probably going somewhere in the 10-15 range. Nix and Penix are total wildcards IMO and draft evaluations on them from team to team probably vary wildly if I was guessing. The medical evals for Penix are going to be huge.

Penix cleared his medical.  Whoever gets Nix will be sadly disappointed.  I hope Denver drafts him!

23 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We have holes all over this roster. The only way we're gonna dig our way out of the substantial hole we've dug ourselves is to draft good football players. I don't even care about position, just get me good football players. 

Yep.  We're not a WR away from being competitive.  They need to take whoever they absolutely love at any position at 33.  And they need to be right. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1