• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We should draft Randy Moss 2.0

CRA

9 hours ago, CRA said:

He started turning it on at the end of the prior year when you know….the Gameock QB actually started to throw the ball. 

Prior to that, a raw/developing WR player didn’t have much to a place on bad pass O.   Like I said that starts getting into the window they were pulling coaches to be the QB at Carolina. 

Everyone’s timeline is different.  2023 matters  way more than 2021. 

A lot of college teams have terrible passing games, that didn’t stop the other SC receivers from producing atleast a little. I would expect a 23 year old to beat out some teenager 

8 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

He’s another Mingo imo 

Far from it. And I still believe Mingo develops into a regular contributor for the team under better coaching and a non dysfunctional idiot staff who cares more about developing players than stabbing each other in the backs and protecting themselves if by chance that's what we have now.

People can say what they want about how he didn't play as much before or didn't contribute before etc etc but bottom line is he looked very good last year playing against quality competition. He has many tools and may be considered "raw" by some but not nearly as raw as many others and has a great attitude to go along with some impressive physical abilities and skills. He is very much worth taking a poo on. Hell, everyone is a risk. This guy is no Terrance Marshall who is just going to sit in the roster with a piss poor attitude and not contributing.

19 hours ago, CRA said:

I mean, did you watch the kid this season? 

Like I said, I’m a Gamecock hater.  So I’m actually bringing bias the other way into this.  But it’s hard to of watched this kid over the course of the year and not like the potential. 

and it’s hard to if liked a Mingo and not like this kid a lot more.  So yeah, 2nd or 3rd pick seems like a good pick.  We don’t need him to be a stud week 1.   We got short term band aid vets right now.  We need long term answers.  

my ideal draft was a Texas kid in the 2nd and Leggette in the 3rd.  Now we got another pick between those. Not sure he falls that far anymore.  But we have made way way way dumber picks than a Legette in that range 

Band Aid vets (with an S)? I find it interesting that you'd refer to DJ as a Band-Aid. He's a legit receiver more towards the beginning of his prime than not. He could be here one year, or could be here much longer. 

10 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

He played WR in HS also but his coach moved him to QB his senior year. So yes he was outplayed 

Outplayed? What in the world? He was made a QB his senior year in high school because the QB went down and the coach was in a pinch. As he was the best athlete on the team, the coach made him the QB. That's not being outplayed, it's being moved due to necessity. 

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 2

17 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Band Aid vets (with an S)? I find it interesting that you'd refer to DJ as a Band-Aid. He's a legit receiver more towards the beginning of his prime than not. He could be here one year, or could be here much longer. 

Yeah, I think playing the odds you look at Johnson as a short term answer.   Anything can happen but anything can happen isn’t the most likely.  He is a diva WR who wants stats and we got him for a year in a trade.

I think a prudent org would manage your roster decisions as if Johnson is short term aid to a struggling QB.   Obviously Theilen is a short term band aid.  TMJ and ISM just bodies.  

So I’m still in the camp we need to be building our roster and looking for long term answers.  It’s a passing league. 

11 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

A lot of college teams have terrible passing games, that didn’t stop the other SC receivers from producing atleast a little. I would expect a 23 year old to beat out some teenager 

I mean, an SEC team went 2 consecutive years without having a QB pass for 1500 yards.  Went 3 without having one throw for more than 11 TDs.   Like I said they were pulling coaches to play QB.  Hybrid WRs.   That’s not a lot of college teams.  Much less someone in the SEC

I mean, once Rattler got there and let him throw at the end of 2022…..Leggette emerged 

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Outplayed? What in the world? He was made a QB his senior year in high school because the QB went down and the coach was in a pinch. As he was the best athlete on the team, the coach made him the QB. That's not being outplayed, it's being moved due to necessity. 

Go back and read my first comment I said he was outplayed for snaps in college. Which he was 

4 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

Go back and read my first comment I said he was outplayed for snaps in college. Which he was 

He ain't the first and won't be the last. Sometimes, particularly under some coaches, players have to wait their turn. It's not uncommon as you should very well know. Just like you can make the most negative spin on it that you can, I can easily say that when he did get the opportunity, he outplayed everyone else, so much so that he put himself in a position to go probably in the second round (with an oustide chance to go in the first). So, there's that. How are you going to fault him for that?

Edited by top dawg
  • Beer 1

He ain't the first and won't be the last. Sometimes, particularly under some coaches, players have to wait their turn. It's not uncommon as you should very well know. Just like you can make the most negative spin on it that you can, I can easily say that when he did get the opportunity, he outplayed everyone else, so much so that he put himself in a position to go probably in the second round (with an oustide chance to go in the first). So, there's that. How are you going to fault him for that?

Who is faulting him?  I said I don’t know what to make of him. It wasn’t until he was 22/23 that he started getting a bunch of snaps and a lot of late college bloomers don’t translate to the pros that well

26 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Who is faulting him?  I said I don’t know what to make of him. It wasn’t until he was 22/23 that he started getting a bunch of snaps and a lot of late college bloomers don’t translate to the pros that well

I'm not sure that that's true. Here is an interesting chart spacer.png

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2023/8/16/23835071/are-players-drafted-at-age-21-more-likely-to-be-late-bloomers

Honestly, I don't think age really has much to do with their long term viability as a receiver.

I really can't find any information about your claim. I did see some things about late bloomers having an advantage in sports in general, but nothing necessarily about the NFL. I certainly wouldn't let that stop me from drafting a player if I thought he was the best available. That being said, Legette is intriguing. He needs some polish according to draft profiles, but he is not without talent. I can't wait to hear what we think about him.

• Pie 1

I'm not sure that that's true. Here is an interesting chart spacer.png

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2023/8/16/23835071/are-players-drafted-at-age-21-more-likely-to-be-late-bloomers

Honestly, I don't think age really has much to do with their long term viability as a receiver.

I really can't find any information about your claim. I did see some things about late bloomers having an advantage in sports in general, but nothing necessarily about the NFL. I certainly wouldn't let that stop me from drafting a player if I thought he was the best available. That being said, Legette is intriguing. He needs some polish according to draft profiles, but he is not without talent. I can't wait to hear what we think about him.

That chart has to do with age not WR who were late bloomers in college. I can’t really find a comp for a guy who did basically nothing 4 years in college was good one season then went on to be a good WR in the pros. And I’m not against draft him cause we need all the help we can get but I’m still cautious with him as a prospect 

10 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

That chart has to do with age not WR who were late bloomers in college. I can’t really find a comp for a guy who did basically nothing 4 years in college was good one season then went on to be a good WR in the pros. And I’m not against draft him cause we need all the help we can get but I’m still cautious with him as a prospect 

Until CJ Stroud I couldn't find much in terms of decent Ohio State QB's that stayed at Ohio State their whole careers and transitioned to a successful career in the NFL but he is changing that perspective for me quickly. Playing the odds is safe but there is always that one outlier that comes along and blows everyone away. If I were the Panthers, I would take two or three serious looks at Legette with the possibility that he may just be this outlier of a late bloomer that becomes something huge. Attitude/mindset first before everything will propel someone or set up their failure. The maturity and mindset is all there to go along with some great physical abilities, size and strength. Couple that with his direct desire to play for the Panthers to be close to home and whatever family he has left and you may have a recipe for one very committed player to his craft, his team and his development. All om saying is I would continue to look very closely at this guy. I do believe he has a very high ceiling and already has skills, physical abilities and an attitude/work ethic that would transfer very well to the NFL as well as set him up for continued development by being so coachable and such a hard worker in his preparation evidenced by his coaches and teammates reviews of him and what I have personally witnessed being around this guy the past few years but last two years specifically.

• Pie 1