• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Like Smith, Jarrett doesn't want No. 1 spot

A few days ago, Steve Smith made headlines when he said he no longer wanted to be a No. 1 receiver. Now another Carolina Panthers receiver is echoing Smith’s statement.

“Yeah, I heard Steve say that,” said Dwayne Jarrett. "And I don't blame him. I don't want to be a No. 1 receiver either."

This much is evident by Jarrett's tenure in Carolina, in which he has amassed 388 yards in three years with the team. In the last game of the season, Jarrett did catch his first touchdown pass from Matt Moore, inspiring hope in Carolina fans.

Jarrett, however, doesn't anticipate moving up the gameday roster any time soon.

"I've been here three years already," Jarrett said. "I've been the third receiver, the fourth receiver. A lot of Sundays I haven't even been activated. I don't want to be one of those guys who just can't let it go. Just like Carter and Colbert made way for me, I've got to prepare for someone else to come in and take my place."

Most analysts suspect the Panthers will indeed draft a wide receiver, possibly with their first pick. When asked who that might be, Jarrett wouldn't mention any names.

"You just never know who could come in and compete for the fourth or fifth-receiver spot," said Jarrett. "Maybe I'm a little biased, but I'd look at someone out of USC."

When you are Smitty, you can say things like that. When you are so bad that you aren't activated on game day, you better be a little hungrier than that. I had hope, but just lost almost all respect I had left for Jarrett. I hope this was taken out of context and I'm reading too much into it. I really, really hope. Colbert and Drew are the guys you're looking at as paving the way? How's about looking at Muhammed?!?! A guy with a great deal of success with similar attributes. Oh Dwayne, we hardly knew ye.

And if this is a 4/1 joke, VERY well played sir.

“Yeah, I heard Steve say that,” said Dwayne Jarrett. "And I don't blame him. I don't want to be a No. 1 receiver either."

Yeah, unlike Smith you don't HAVE the ability to be a #1--not even for teams like Cleveland or San Fransisco.

Archived