• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who do you NOT want?

firstdayfan

dont wants:

gilyard: aka ryne 2.0 but slower

taylor price: aka drew carter 2.0, but a higher pick (as 5th/6th rounder fine, but over valued)

thomas: stiff, slow, big project.

griffen: less talented pep, disappears

dunlap: see griffen

ed wang: human turnstile, cant block, but he's athletic, so fuging what.

any safety other than mays in the 1st 4 rounders (mays as a OLB is intresting otherwise a waste)

spikes: sloooooow ILB prospect only.

Mike Williams: USC mike williams 2.0

wants:

emmanuel sanders, antonio brown: aka a slot guy later in the draft

decker, blair white, riley cooper, dez briscoe: a solid #2 WR

joe webb, marcus easley, armanti edwards, stephen williams: a devolemental WR with #1 athletic ability

kam chancellor to convert to a long term WLB project or possibly SS.

there is 1 rb i would not mind: james starks, but we dont need him and he will likely go well before the 6th (where i would 1st consider a RB a remote option).

want/covet: brandon ghee. fix the returner and nickle/#2 corner with him. tremendous athlete.

Wow... If I were to compare Gilyard to anyone on the Panthers or in Panthers history, it would be Steve Smith... Most certainly NOT Ryne Robinson... I don't see how you can not want Gilyard, but want Eric Decker... Eric Decker is one of the most overrated WRs I have ever seen in my life, and shouldn't be drafted until the 5th round, at the very earliest...

If we don't take Gilyard in the second, the Bengals surely will... IF they don't take him in the first round...

I really don't get the criticisms of Gilyard... He is way more talented than folks like LaFell, Decker, Benn, and Price...

As far as my DO NOT WANT list:

The Golden Calf of Bristol

Demaryius Thomas

Taylor Price

Eric Decker

Jordan Shipley

Brandon Spikes

Dexter McCluster

any TE

Jacoby Ford

Brandon LaFell

Trindon Holliday

Mike Williams

Terrence Cody

Vlad Ducasse

Greg Hardy

John Skelton

Dez Bryant

LeGarette Blount

...to name a few...

Why Brandon LaFell?

lafell has baby hands

Gilyard was getting open against the Florida D last year, Pike couldnt get him the ball tho. Kid is a hard worker, good head on his shoulder, and a return threat.

Again will someone explain how he is Keary Colbert.

I would prefer a move up to get Tate...

The best thing to come of the Holmes trade is on two fronts...

Golden Tate was pretty much penciled in to the Jets at 29... Now they'll be looking at other needs... The second front is that they lost another draft pick... They now only own a first, a second, a fourth, a 6th, and a seventh...

I would gladly give them next year's first and swap picks in the second (giving them 48 and us #61) to get the #29 pick and snag Tate... That would allow us to get "our guy" if it is Tate, move down a little in the second where the talent dropoff isn't so bad, and keep the rest of our picks "as is"...

I'm not saying we want Tate that bad, or that WR is even the #1 priority right now that we would trade up for... But Gilyard is the best option at #48 at WR in my book... Sure, it is early for him, but he won't make it until our pick in the 3rd, and our options then will likely be guys that won't fit our needs at WR...

Perfect scenario IMO but I don't think the Jets would go for it.

I am indifferent to McCoy at this point... I actually think he is going to be a great QB in the NFL, and a lot of teams will regret passing on him...

I am starting to think that teams will make a jump at picking a QB earlier than later... especially The Golden Calf of Bristol and McCoy....

If the Panthers end up with McCoy, it will be because he was BPA at 48, and we didn't make a move to get another guy we wanted...

I don't think that will happen though, because I am 99.99999999999% sure we'll be picking before #48...

I agree on McCoy, his completion percentage is great and all he needs is some time to acclimate to the pro game. I don't think he'll be a perennial all-pro, but he has the leadership skills and the physical attributes to develop into a good one.

As far as your question on Gilyard, he's smaller than Colbert but otherwise they're somewhat similar coming out of college. They're within 0.01 on their 40 times, which calls to question how he'll get separation at the next level. Colbert wasn't considered a physical guy, although he was willing to make catches over the middle. Gilyard has concentration lapses that Colbert didn't have, and doesn't run routes as well. But the big similarity is that they were both weak.

To summarize up Gilyard; He doesn't run great routes, can't block, and worst of all, can't beat the jam. Once NFL CBs figure out that they can put him on his ass at the line and take him out of a play, he'll disappear just like Colbert did. I know he looks good against college opponents, but Colbert rewrote USC's record books and was considered a real playmaker. And please don't compare Gilyard to Smitty, he's never getting there. If you're going to be small, you have to be stronger than the bigger guys. Smitty is, Gilyard isn't.

I'll root like hell for him if we tag him, but I hope we don't. If we have to have a small guy on the roster, I'll take Holiday out of LSU--at least he has genuine speed. But frankly, I think both of them are going to get destroyed by physical defensive backs and wouldn't bet on either of them being in the league in five years.

Smitty wasn't the ripped beast he is today when we drafted him, either...

While I don't necessarily agree with your analysis of Gilyard's toolkit, with him for me, it is about his intangibles...

The dude has already basically had to face the lowest of the lows, and he bounced back with a force...

On the field, he gets separation and makes people straight up miss... Sure, let them jam him... But if we stick him in the slot, that means the defense is going to have to have three DBs on the line... That will spell trouble for them by allowing Smitty, Gilyard, or Jarrett to get in the middle zone between the safeties and the DBs manning up on them... That is the main reason we need a quick, not necessarily straight up fast, WR...

You know as good as me 40 times aren't nearly as important as they are made out to be.

I will conceed he needs to gain some strength, but most rookie WR's need to do that.

Difference in my mind is players like colbert were not willing to put in the effort to improve their game, where Gilyard is.

You are right in a way about Colbert not having concentraion lapses as he never concentrated on the game at all.

Steve Smith was faster than most of the other receivers in 2001, and weighed 184, he weighs 185 now. He was also considered a great route-runner, which Gilyard is not, and to have great skills at getting open, which I don't see in any of Gilyard's draft profiles. Finally, he was considered one of, if not the premier punt returner in the nation, which is why we drafted him.

And with all of that, he dropped to the third round. 48 would be a huge reach for Gilyard, IMHO.

lafell has baby hands

.[/quote

I dont care if he had infant hands. If his hands were such a big issue he wouldt be considered a 2nd pick. Lafell was a playmaker and while hes not my first choice (Damian Williams is, even tho he went to USC). Two of my favorite recievers people are knocking them because of really sill reasons imo

Archived