• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Brown growing into job, literally

jbland

Yep. If he were in this class we could get him at 48 and still have our 1st. Any way you shake it we trade a 1st for a 2nd rounder. I don't mind if he can step up but purely from a draft value standpoint we got burned (and don't hide behind the "but we got Goodson too" argument we should have never picked him as well).

And Hilee Taylor might just not have the genetics to gain the extra muscle. My cousin and myself use to work out together. I would put on muscle very easily were he would get to a certain point and plateau. Your metabolism and frame can limit muscle growth. Or he could be just lazy as some have said.

While I see your point, would you not agree that he was worth a first in his own draft class? They felt he was needed then and did not necessarily know what the draft class for DE's would look like this year so... they did the best they could.

derrick morgan is considered a lock for the first round and is only an inch taller than brown and just about the same weight at this point.

he's less than 10 pounds lighter than JPP and 3 inches shorter.

2 inches shorter than griffen and about 10 pounds lighter

4 inches and only about 15 pounds lighter than a bum like dunlap.

i'm liking the build. height isn't going to make a differnece. he's still going to be one of the quickest DEs in the league and he's going to be strong/big for his height.

don't get so stuck on the height. he's still going to be good. all the evidence so far is that he is worth the pick we gave up for him.

I am not stuck..I just feel thats what NFL teams would have done..Do I think he is worth the pick today?? No..But maybe in another year or so it will pay off.

is derrick morgan a legit first round pick?

plus...who that was taken in the first round as far as DEs go has done as good or better than brown? where would those guys have gone in this year's draft? i don't see them dropping much below where they went last year.

While I see your point, would you not agree that he was worth a first in his own draft class? They felt he was needed then and did not necessarily know what the draft class for DE's would look like this year so... they did the best they could.

Not really no. In todays NFL, considering he is a much better fit at 4-3 DE (and a project there), he has 2nd round value. Especially not a 1st in this draft class. Also it was not like it was impossible for him to make it to our original pick.

I am only ok with them trading one again this year because of the huge amount of talent in this draft, the fact that we have no 1st in that talent loaded draft, and due to the uncertainty of there value next year. Like I said I'm alright with the move if he steps up but to be honest I see a good rotational DE good for 8-9 sacks a year. So IMO, no not at all worth the 17th pick

plus...who that was taken in the first round as far as DEs go has done as good or better than brown? where would those guys have gone in this year's draft? i don't see them dropping much below where they went last year.

yeah...But Derrick morgan is 6-3 and could play LE or RE and is solid against the run.Brown on the other hand is 6-1 and some NFL teams feel he could only play RE. Plus the rep of FSU DE..

I think brown would have been a 2nd to 3rd round player.

IDK about earlier but M. Johnson went later and 1/2 sack more (not quite as good as brown but could have been had at our original pick).

who knows really. Given the high percentage of DE that wash out, I'm really happy with what we have. If he continues to work as hard as he appears to, he's going to be a great player. High character, high motor, production can't ask for much more than that.

If Brown produces, who cares where he would have gone?

No one. I guess it just what you view as appropriate production and wheter or not he reaches is that. Considering we picked him at 17 overall he better turn out to be a probowler. But of course seeing as we are Panthers fans that accept medicority on a year in and year out bases most will probable say that doesn't matter. If he turns into a solid player thats all that matters.

Personally I think a 1st rounder is worth more then just a solid player. Look what we have been able to find there some of the best players in the league at the positions (Williams, Stewart, Otah, Gross, Beason, Gamble, etc.

To NFL teams..I think its very important..

I like Brown and think he will pay off in the long term..But I dont think he would have went in the 1st

considering how his production compares with the rest of the DEs taken ahead of him in the first i think he made a case that he should have been a first rounder last year.

i seriously doubt that more than one of the DEs taken in the first round will do more than brown did last year.

plus we know that he will produce and wasn't a big waste of a pick like so many taken in the first are. he is a sure thing and that makes him every bit worth the #17th next year. we aren't getting someone we hope does well. we got someone we KNOW is going to produce.

I know how Brown could have a monster year, we somehow land Brian Price. Browns best asset last season was the speed rush and if we don't get some pressure up the middle he is going to be seeing a lot of the QB's back as he steps up outta of the way.

Archived