• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sad but true statement from NFL.com about the QB situation

Brokenbad

Matt Moore will be PISSED if Clausen starts. I thought Moore "proved" himself at the end of last season?!?! I think Clausen should hold the clipboard for at least a season.

why would he be pissed, he goes from making 300,000 a year to more than 3 million and he gets the chance to start.

Not necessarily pissed about the money...I would be pissed that I proved myself, only to be placed back where I started. Backup

then he needs to step his game up now and do all he can to keep clausen holding the clipboard as long as he can, but clausen won't just be handed the starting job he will have to earn it

that's not really true. the panthers pursued jimmy but couldn't get the deal done. they didn't just pick him because he happened to fall to them. they WANTED HIM, and made an unsuccessful attempt to get him. the fact that he then fell to 48th was just dumb luck.

but never the less, they did want him because they know moore is't a franchise qb. if he was, then one of the 32 teams would have drafted him. he just happens to be an undrafted FA who happened to have more talent than the entire NFL expected. he makes a great #2 who pretty much has one season to prove himself before the team makes jimmy the guy (if it doesn't happen sooner)

I'm glad all you guys can read the FO's mind and know exactly why they drafted these QB's... and I'm also glad that some of you think that the Panthers owe Moore something... this is not a multi-million dollar business based on performance, it's a pop-warner team where you have to do what's best for the players...

Seriously?

Sorry, but for me, it's hard to make the argument that Hurney trying to trade up for Clausen doesn't indicate anything about Moore.

When you look at guys the Panthers have traded up for (or tried to) in the past, you see a history of guys who were expected to make a major impact on the team, within a year at most. (Otah, Brown, Gamble)

As soon as I heard Clausen's name called my first thoughts were "If you're Matt Moore, what are you thinking right now?"

Moore will still get the start and I hope he does well. If Clausen doesn't look like he'll be as good as he should be, we can keep him. If not, then maybe we can move him for value to some team that needs a QB.

Basically, Clausen fell into our laps and we took him because no matter who is left standing after the QB battle we should still be able to decent value out of one of them.

That is such utter bullsh*t... so the Panthers were supposed to go into the season with Moore and Cantwell and no other QB, even though these two highly rated rookies fell to them at way below what they were rated in the draft, and this "proves" the Panthers have no faith in Moore???

Who wrote that?

While that may be true in the BPA aspect of things, if they did have full faith in Moore...they would not have drafted someone who is supposed to be a franchise QB in Clausen. Pike, yes, that's understandable. But if you don't buy into BPA (which I don't) with your first pick...drafting Clausen speaks VOLUMES.

That is such utter bullsh*t... so the Panthers were supposed to go into the season with Moore and Cantwell and no other QB, even though these two highly rated rookies fell to them at way below what they were rated in the draft, and this "proves" the Panthers have no faith in Moore???

Thank you for saving me some typing. I 100% agree with you.

How anyone can buy in to the nonsense that this was the PAnthers plans all along. Sit tight in round 2 & wait for a QB who everyone thought would go top 10 or 13 at worst....yeah...that makes sense! :eek:

Pike was the plan as a longterm developmental backup & I bet we thought we'd sign a vet after the draft. It didn't work out that way. We got lucky.

I think Clausen will develop into a francise guy, but this is Moore's year, IMO. No need to push the envelope & if they do...my guess is that it will backfire & hurt his development....let him sit & grow for a year.

Thank you for saving me some typing. I 100% agree with you.

How anyone can buy in to the nonsense that this was the PAnthers plans all along. Sit tight in round 2 & wait for a QB who everyone thought would go top 10 or 13 at worst....yeah...that makes sense! :eek:

Pike was the plan as a longterm developmental backup & I bet we thought we'd sign a vet after the draft. It didn't work out that way. We got lucky.

I think Clausen will develop into a francise guy, but this is Moore's year, IMO. No need to push the envelope & if they do...my guess is that it will backfire & hurt his development....let him sit & grow for a year.

I don't think that many people argue that this isn't Matt's year. But with a one-year contract only, drafting someone who is "supposed" to be a franchise QB pretty much says they're FINE with letting Clausen start...when the time is right. Had they had 100% faith in matt, Pike would be the back-up and we would've drafted Shipley with our first pick perhaps. But they saw the "franchise" QB dangling there...the very same one Hurney tried to get with the 33rd pick from the Rams but couldn't.

the panthers drafted stewart because there was zero running back depth.

if williams went down, who was going to carry the rock?

they didn't want to go thru 2005 again...some day people will realize this.

Ah, right. I forgot how often teams turn to the first round for depth.

It worked out for the best, but if the front office had wanted a back to spell Williams and fill in should he go down, they could have found him in later rounds. They drafted Stewart because they were not completely confident Williams could start at a high level for a full season, I think.

Archived