• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This is why you don't let your 16 year old daughter sail around the world alone...

Johnny Rockets

I hope she is ok.....

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/06/10/national/main6568712.shtml

Abby Sunderland, the California 16-year-old who recently set out to become the youngest person to sail solo around the world, may be lost at sea after losing contact with her land-based crew and activating emergency positioning beacons, according to an ABC News report.

Sunderland had been combating 20-plus foot waves and high winds in the Indian Ocean, at least 400 miles from the nearest ship and even farther from land.

I thought she we too young when she start this trip. She couldn't have gotten enough experience for a trip like that at just 16. Everyone who has attempted it has always run into major problems: broken mast, loss of auto pilot, hull breach.

It's never been an easy task even without breakdowns.

Very little sympathy here.

Hope she is ok, but it isn't like the ocean came in to her room in the middle of the night and took her, or some deranged Dutchman took a fancy to her on vacation.

The whole family signed up for this nonsense.

And I hope no public money is used for a rescue attempt. I really hate that. When tax dollars go to rescuing dumbasses. You should be required to carry "dumbass adventurer insurance".

Archived