• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Yahoo!: Who's that guy? Youthful Panthers hard to predict

GRWatcher

I really can't see how a player who toiled for years with absolutely no recognition at all could be considered overrated. If you had said popular. it would be closer to the truth.

Hoover was alot like Moose. They were very good in our system but not necessarily terrific in another one. Plus at their age they were not ideal to sign to a multiyear contract somewhere else. You could surely make an argument that they should be replaced just like you could have made a case to keep them and see what happened this year. After all you could have cut both of them in final cuts if they weren't cutting the mustard without spending a bunch of money. They weren't long term solutions but weren't necessarily washed up either.

But given Richardson's mindset getting rid of them made sense.

Yeah popular probably would have been a better choice of word.

However, I do think that his importance, even to our team, whose scheme admittedly did fit him better than most other teams' schemes would have, has been overstated by fans as well.

Honestly I agree with most of the cuts but we traded a 2nd for Armanti(and I like Armanti and think he's going to work out in the future) when the Ravens got Boldin for a 3rd and 4th rounder.

Do I think the cuts were made purely to cut payroll? no. but I do think they avoided free agency/trades/etc to avoid spending money even if it improved the team. being active in free agency/off-season does not mean you're Dan Snyder and you'll fail. Dan Snyder is just an idiot, that's why he fails.

As a fan, I can disagree with what Jerry Richardson is doing. As a businessman, I think he is genius.

1. Not extending Fox or Hurney - He can wait to see if they produce a winner. If they do, group hugs and resign. If not the cupboards aren't bare for the next incoming Coach/GM.

2. Not extending "core" - Why extend now when you don't know how the CBA is going to end up. There will be nothing to stop him from continuing to sign core after, plus he doesn't end up with a lot of "legacy" money contracts if the CBA ends up in the owners favor.

3. Going young - If this pans out to be a good team this year, you have a team that can contend consistently for years to come. A team that you built from the draft to fit the play-style you desire. Just like the Pittsburgh teams that JR admires. In 3 years you may just very well have a dominating team year in year out and not every other year. Maybe even a championship to hang your hat on. Then you can get the new/renovated stadium deal and more money. If it doesn't work, your not salary strapped or stuck into a bunch of long term contracts so you basically rebuild and try again.

As a fan, I can disagree with what Jerry Richardson is doing. As a businessman, I think he is genius.

1. Not extending Fox or Hurney - He can wait to see if they produce a winner. If they do, group hugs and resign. If not the cupboards aren't bare for the next incoming Coach/GM.

2. Not extending "core" - Why extend now when you don't know how the CBA is going to end up. There will be nothing to stop him from continuing to sign core after, plus he doesn't end up with a lot of "legacy" money contracts if the CBA ends up in the owners favor.

3. Going young - If this pans out to be a good team this year, you have a team that can contend consistently for years to come. A team that you built from the draft to fit the play-style you desire. Just like the Pittsburgh teams that JR admires. In 3 years you may just very well have a dominating team year in year out and not every other year. Maybe even a championship to hang your hat on. Then you can get the new/renovated stadium deal and more money. If it doesn't work, your not salary strapped or stuck into a bunch of long term contracts so you basically rebuild and try again.

There is the other side of the coin however.

BY not extending Fox and all of his staff you might have made them angry enough to all walk on you and you are left with no coach, GM, and no assistant coaches.

By not signing your core players they are free to go elsewhere with absolutely no compensation at all.

If the CBA is signed by March or April you may have shucked all your coaches and talent and end being the St Louis of the league for the next 5 years as you try and rebuild all your talent.

Should be intersting to see which side the coin lands on.

Y'all listen to P55. He predicted all offseason about how terrible our D Line would be without Kemo, Lewis and Pep.

I said we would be vulnerable against the run and would struggle to get a pass rush. So far they have been surprisingly better than I expected. It will be interesting to see what happens when they began playing for real and gameplanning. I hope I am wrong but it is still premature at this point.

If Tennessee plays like they did against Arizona it should be a good test to see how we do against Johnson and Young.

I've never seen a successful franchise that keeps the majority of their key players through much more than one contract.

Every Spring people bark about how short sighted and heartless the Eagles, Pats and Steelers are and every Winter they all 3 make the playoffs

I think any fan should be surprised on how well our Dline is doing, but it is only preseason. Kind of hard to tell if p55 was right or not after two preseason games...granted all of our preseason games are like the best olines in the nfl stacked up for some reason. How hard are the players trying is the question. Let's see our dline hold it up all year.

Hurney isnt working without a contract it was in the observer a few months back. He has a new deal but no details.

From what I understand, Hurney has a deal on the table that he said he will not sign... as of yet.

I do believe he said he would work without a contract as long as the Panthers wanted him around..

but I'm too lazy to go back and find it.. so consider it hearsay.. however, I'm 99% certain some beat writer reported this..

I've never seen a successful franchise that keeps the majority of their key players through much more than one contract.

Every Spring people bark about how short sighted and heartless the Eagles, Pats and Steelers are and every Winter they all 3 make the playoffs

exactly how we should run things.. great scouting ensures success for the future 10x over FA can provide..

as with our Olinemen who have left, we receive draft picks in the future, and spend the current picks on new talent..

and people are curious how the Pats have stock piled so many picks... (well, they do trade back as well)

All of which had 3 stud, long-term, franchise QBs.

just saying

I'm not certain our D-Line would be great which is why I didn't fill 6 threads up saying they would or wouldn't. In fact last year the Titans line looked stellar in preseason, and stunk it up for most of the regular season.

The only thing I can say with certainty is if we have minimum injuries we will make the playoffs.

Of course teams have to change. Otherwise they are like Dinosaurs who went extinct. The question isn't about changing but balancing between changing enought versus changing too much at one time. The Pats were a perfect example last year. They have always felt that they could change parts at will and not drop off. But IMO the lack of a pass rush and vulnerability last year were due to getting rid of too many core players. They were tied with us for 23rd last year.

Archived