• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

John Fox: Keep Delhomme, he still has it

NewEnglandAFChamps

Jake's arm wore out over the course of this season, imo. For the first 3/4, he was the same old guy as before, slightly above average, with a will that won most games. Toward the end of the season he lost zip, underthrew, and sometimes the ball just got away from him. I have always liked Jake, it hurts me to say it, but I just don't think he'll cut it for us for more than half a season. I could be and hope I am wrong, but if I'm not, consider: the run game carried us this season, not Jake. Don't expect it to work the same way next year with a tougher schedule and the heads up this year gave everyone.

KT, I would agree if we had a first round pick next year, but we don't. I think we have to bide our time with Delhomme/Moore/McCown and then the FOLLOWING season we're going to have to find a QB replacement. If it's not a solid FA pickup then we are going to have to boot McCoy's dumb ass and get someone here who can develop young QB talent and draft a first rounder then. The next few years for us will be interesting, thats for sure. It is purely possible that Delhomme has been humbled enough by his last two playoff games that he has gained a new veteran level of concentration. Regardless, he's likely going to be the man for the next TWO years just because of the situation that Fox and Hurney have put us into.

I have said it before and I'll be clear again just for the BDJSers who will raise hell at ANY thing less than 100% positive post about Delhomme: I am a Panthers fan. 12-4 or 0-16 for 3 straight years, I'm not going anywhere. I'm saying that we have neglected to plan for the future at the QB position unless Matt Moore is really the answer and we just don't know it yet.

I cried a little reading that.

Delhomme is not the biggest thing I'm worried about.

I just feel the coaching staff is lazy when it comes to QB development, and as long as Delhomme can hold up, that's one thing Fox doesn't have to worry about, which worries me.

He did not care to get any insurance in the event Delhomme's elbow doesn't hold up, or he re-injures it on a throw, or it just gets tired and sore to the point he can't make a good throw. Delhomme's elbow could've gave out at any moment this season, and our best insurance is, ..... Josh McCown?

Delhomme does not offer any long term guarantee here. And when he retires, we'll see how bad Fox misses decent QBing, because to be honest, if Fox is relying on Matt Moore or Josh McCown to engineer game winning drives and will his team to victory like Delhomme has done, he's seriously assuming some unlikely scenario.

I didnt say squat about transition. I said the only reason we have the luxury to dump a Lucas and or bench a Foster was because we spent draft picks on their positions. I also brought up Foster & Lucas to display the hypocrisy when it comes to Jake and how he's allowed to play like garbage while every other player on the Panthers is held to a standard of excellence.

drafting a quarterback is not the same as drafting a corner or a runningback. why would they draft another young player that takes years to groom when they already have a young quarterback who has shown he can run the system?

Do tell how sticking with a 34 year old QB who's gotten progressively worse year after year is gonna make your football team better?

you can't progress and get worse, first of all.

secondly, it might not make the team better, but benching him when there is nothing better behind him will certainly make it worse. and yes i know you want us to draft talent, but that's simply not possible this year, and the coaching staff will let moore take over when he's ready.

People are content with Jake. 6 TOs in a divional round playoff game? 6 TOs?

who is content with him?

I mean just 2 weeks ago we were laughing at Romo's pathetic performance in Week 17 and now we turn around and act like its not a big deal when our QB put up in an even worse one.

who is acting like it's not a big deal? honestly you seem to be arguing against things that no one is saying, or blowing small comments out of proportion because you have an axe to grind about foster.

Delhomme is not the biggest thing I'm worried about.

I just feel the coaching staff is lazy when it comes to QB development, and as long as Delhomme can hold up, that's one thing Fox doesn't have to worry about, which worries me.

He did not care to get any insurance in the event Delhomme's elbow doesn't hold up, or he re-injures it on a throw, or it just gets tired and sore to the point he can't make a good throw. Delhomme's elbow could've gave out at any moment this season, and our best insurance is, ..... Josh McCown?

Delhomme does not offer any long term guarantee here. And when he retires, we'll see how bad Fox misses decent QBing, because to be honest, if Fox is relying on Matt Moore or Josh McCown to engineer game winning drives and will his team to victory like Delhomme has done, he's seriously assuming some unlikely scenario.

Your right about that, the staff has dropped the ball pretty bad in that department.

I also don't think Delhomme is the biggest issue, the defense is much worse off, but then again that is because of the coaches.

So our coaching is the worst part of our team..............(yet everyone loves fox for some reason)

Do tell how sticking with a 34 year old QB who's gotten progressively worse year after year is gonna make your football team better?

People are content with Jake. 6 TOs in a divional round playoff game? 6 TOs? I mean just 2 weeks ago we were laughing at Romo's pathetic performance in Week 17 and now we turn around and act like its not a big deal when our QB put up in an even worse one.

Progressively worse? Not bein a BDJSer here.. But how many players could come back from TJ surgery and post a 12-4 regular season record? The guy could be considered by some to be comeback player of the year. I don't know if you watched the game, but the ENTIRE TEAM was out to lunch for that playoff game. I don't remember a playoff coach being so "out of it", especially one favored by so much. With his 1/2 smile, 1/2 inquisitive this was not in the plans look throughout the game. The staff obviously thought that this game would go like the last, no questions asked, and played that way. Jake SHOULD NOT have been given the opportunity to turn the ball over 6 times!!!! If we had an OC that sat up in the booth, or a HC with a pair, he should have been pulled after pick 2-3, after his obvious tunnel vision/throwing into coverage and forcing it. No questions asked.

You can throw Jake out to the wolves all you want, but the main reason for that loss is the coaching staff. If you think otherwise, you are out of your mind. The sense of urgency/preparedness that has been with us throughout our previous playoff appearances was not there that night. Most likely because we had lost to most of the teams we've played in the playoffs in the regular season. (Bears, Eagles, Cowboys).

I find it funny that Fox can pull Rodney Peete for Jake Delhomme down 17 at the half versus Jacksonville in 03, but can't pull Delhomme for McCown (Moore was inactive) when down by 20 at the half in a divisional playoff game. Explain that!

Who's acting like the 6 TOs weren't a big deal?

Jake is Jake.

The Offensive playcalling and the defense lost the game. Until Fox, Davidson and the great mighty turd's balls drop we will continue to have bad games, putting more and more pressure Jake to do something. So please put the blame where it belongs.....On Coach Fox.

Stop using a false argument to attack people who think we should look to replace Jake. Not everyone who wants Jake gone is hellbound on replacing him with a lesser QB.

Things I don't want:

Moore/McCown to replace Jake.

A random FA who is no better than Jake to replace Jake.

A draft pick who is no better than Jake to replace Jake.

IF there is a better QB than Jake available in the draft or upcoming FA, THEN I would like to replace Jake with that QB. <- Don't change this to try to defend Jake. How realistic are the conditions I listed? Will we find a better QB? Can we afford a better QB without crippling the team? That remains to be seen and is open for discussion.

If we can get our D shored up then I would have thought it would be the perfect time for a new young QB to come in. We have a fantastic running game, a great OL who take it personally if the QB gets hit and as I said a D, which COULD, ne explosive.

As many have said we really do not need the QB to do much in our scheme, just avoid mistakes. So surely that is the perfect time for a young guy to come in? when there is no need for him to 'make plays'.

Those who do not think McCown is a good back up are crazy, name one team who has a better back up. The guy has started a fair few games in the league and performed at an average standard, you generally do not get that in a back up.

Despite this Jake should be starter. There is no one better and although I do not think he suits our scheme anymore, I would need proof our D will not call on our offense repeatedly before chucking Moore in. Need the kid to have it easy to begin with before being asked to win games week in week out.

Archived