• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gantt comments on a couple issues

Mr. Scot

Ready for a weekend

When Julius Peppers says it's not about the money, I believe him. When he says he wants to win a championship, I don't take that to mean he doesn't want to do it here.

I'm still not sure how his situation plays out, but I do think he's a principled man, and stay or go, will allow the Panthers to stay competitive. If it's stay, that means a deal with a small enough cap figure in 2009 (the last capped year under the current CBA) to add help. If it's go, that means enough draft picks to begin the attempt to replace him.

Obviously written before the statement from Peppers agent.

I think there are a lot of coaches on the Panthers staff whose future will be up in the air when they leave for Mobile, Ala., next week.

Will they fire guys? Will guys leave on their own?

As "Magic 8 Ball" Peppers might say: "Ask again later."

I do not, however, think Peppers' return is tied to the hiring or firing of certain coaches. I genuinely believe he isn't that kind of manipulator.

I also think that coaches are funny people, with handlers who'll put names out there to drum up interest and create markets.

I'd agree peppers isn't a manipulator, but that doesn't preclude Trgovac being a reason he wants to leave.

I think the Panthers QB depth chart in Spartanburg in seven months will be exactly like it is today: Delhomme, McCown, Moore, in that order. And I think they might still bring Basanez back, or some other kid of similar pedigree.

I don't think there's a passer available, in the draft or free agency or trade (unless a Manning or Rivers or Ryan or Brady's mysteriously available), who's better than Delhomme. I'm not even sure there's an upgrade to McCown out there on the open market, for what that's worth.

Echos what a lot of folks think.

In a related note, I think if KC coach Herm Edwards ever needs a soft place to land, his old pal "Crash" will help him out. He and John Fox played together in college. Edwards was the talented one.

Gantt is the first reporter I've seen comment on this, and he confirms what some of us have said.

I still don't think it happens, but I'd love it if it did.

Not one of the local guys (Observer, Gazette, or Herald) has so much as a single word about Peppers' statement or the departure of McCoy.

It's looking like they all took off for the weekend expecting nothing to happen and didn't take their laptops with 'em.

Not one of the local guys (Observer, Gazette, or Herald) has so much as a single word about Peppers' statement or the departure of McCoy.

It's looking like they all took off for the weekend expecting nothing to happen and didn't take their laptops with 'em.

To be fair, the ESPN story broke at 11:20 on a Friday night. I'm sure those guys have lives and aren't sitting around at a computer waiting for breaking news.

To be fair, the ESPN story broke at 11:20 on a Friday night. I'm sure those guys have lives and aren't sitting around at a computer waiting for breaking news.

Given Fox's usual MO, I can't blame them.

Bad timing, though. Maybe they ought to have an intern or an assistant hanging back at the office watching for such things.

What was the timeline when they fired Henning? Wasn't it 14 days after the end of the season? There could still be some major moves made over the next week or so. Like Ganntt I don't think firing any coaches will change anything with Pep but you never know.

Edit: If and when Edwards gets fired could also be a point when the front office/team makes some moves as well.

What was the timeline when they fired Henning? Wasn't it 14 days after the end of the season? There could still be some major moves made over the next week or so. Like Ganntt I don't think firing any coaches will change anything with Pep but you never know.

Edit: If and when Edwards gets fired could also be a point when the front office/team makes some moves as well.

If Samuel J is right, you could see movement early next week.

Whether or not his sources are good? No clue.

If Samuel J is right, you could see movement early next week.

Whether or not his sources are good? No clue.

I wasn't under the impression that he actually has sources. Did he say he did?

I'm not really sure what type of defense KC ran under Edwards, and I feel like that could be a problem. I'm not a fan of defensive schemes that don't have an identity. For example: Chicago has a ball-hawking cover two scheme, Steelers have a 3-4 zone blitz scheme, the Eagle mix up a lot of blitz packages from the 4-3 scheme... What did the Chiefs do? More to the point, what is our identity as a defense? All I can come up with is bend not break soft zone, and that sucks.

I wasn't under the impression that he actually has sources. Did he say he did?

I'm not really sure what type of defense KC ran under Edwards, and I feel like that could be a problem. I'm not a fan of defensive schemes that don't have an identity. For example: Chicago has a ball-hawking cover two scheme, Steelers have a 3-4 zone blitz scheme, the Eagle mix up a lot of blitz packages from the 4-3 scheme... What did the Chiefs do? More to the point, what is our identity as a defense? All I can come up with is bend not break soft zone, and that sucks.

He's certain that Trgovac will be fired and Pep will stay. Where he gets it, no idea, but reading his posts he sounds like he's getting the info from someone. You'd probably have to ask him.

As to Edwards, he cut his coaching teeth under Tony Dungy and Monte Kiffin.

The Observer and the Herald are owned by the same syndicate. Why they didn't just move Gantt to the Observer when Yasinskas left? Don't know, but it's an intriguing question.

With that said, Charles Chandler has been pretty good in his Panthers coverage too. I'd still name Gantt as the best of the bunch, but Chandler is no slouch and Reed has gotten a lot better.

I don't like the idea of pep leaving, but if he does I hope we get a few picks in return and we don't just let him walk. Makes Gross the focal point of the offseason though and he at least wants to stay a panther. I would actually love to see edwards here as either the secondary coach or the defensive coordinator. either one would work as long as trgovac is gone.

Archived