• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Clausen's first game.

mav1234

I agree with you. I have been impressed though with some of the things I have seen out of him. Bottom line....He needs to get better

This is the main reason I believe we should have played Moore longer and allowed Jimmy to learn. The missed blitz pick up, blindside hit he had in the second half could have been avoided. Those are the types of things that cause happy feet in the pocket and can stifle development. I don't think its worth sacrificing a future QB to try to keep butts in the seat and money in the owners pocket. Anyone who thinks benching Moore for Clausen was John Fox's decision hasn't been paying attention.

Except he's not your typical rookie. He's been through the wars at ND - he set a team record for sacks in his freshman year. He's not scared to get hit.

Yes he needs to improve his blitz recognition a little bit, but that will come with experience.

So, let's try to look at it like this:

1) He is a rookie. No, he didn't post awesome numbers.

2) He looked fairly average most of the time, but showed flashes of great decision making.

3) He made many mistakes, some which you can blame on him being a rookie.

4) It was evident he really did not work with the starters a ton, because he had way more chemistry with Lafell, Gettis, and Goodson than anyone else on the team.

5) After that game, I am actually hopeful. While we're going to lose way more than we win, I actually feel pretty good now because I feel like I have something to watch over the season.

overall, I'd say he looked pretty good and he very well could be "the future," but it's way too early to tell.

ps: a lot of the loss today was on mental mistakes, lack of focus, and poor coaching. That fake punt that they converted early tells everything about this Panthers team.

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2687473&postcount=11

Except he's not your typical rookie. He's been through the wars at ND - he set a team record for sacks in his freshman year. He's not scared to get hit.

Yes he needs to improve his blitz recognition a little bit, but that will come with experience.

NFL hits are a bit different than college. Experience in the film room doesn't hurt as much and leave subconscious scars.

The f**k they do. I'll give you that Clausen looks better in the pocket, looks more confident, and has better mobility. But his throws DID NOT look good today. That's actually my biggest beef with him. His throwing was below average.

Like I said in the game thread, I don't know if it was the wet ball or because he had the jitters but his throws looked off the entire day. That drive was the only exception, deffinitely not the rule though. And on that drive he only seemed to be able to complete on the side lines. Was I the only one that noticed that?

I'm behind him all the way to start next week, but I certainly don't agree with anyone that's convinced he's the FUTURE OF OUR FRANCHISE based on what you have seen today.

That's really lowering your standards even for Panther fans.

Peyton Manning, (the guy who will go down as arguably the best qb to ever play the game) had 11 interceptions his first 4 starts in the NFL....

I don't care if he had 6 passing yards in the first half, you're arguing the wrong thing.

"He didn't look too hot in the first half. In the second half he looked alright; a whole lot better than Moore did last week."

This is the quote you're arguing. You really think that Moore's performance in TB was better than Clausen's 2nd half this week? ? You're crazy.

Clausen made a lot of mistakes, but his throws looked much crisper. The ball didn't seem to sail on him as much as it did Moore, and Clausen's deep balls were usually put in a place the receiver could make a play on it... He definitely overthrew a couple open receivers, you're right, and especially in the first half he seemed to have the jitters and wasn't setting himself for his throws.

He also had time to throw a few times, something Moore didn't have the entire second half.

If Moore has time to setup and throw, he is pretty accurate when throwing across the middle. His two td's to Steve Smith really threaded the needle.

Clausen appears to be much better at throwing on the run, and moving around in the pocket. With our problems on the offensive line, its clear that Clausen is the better choice, at least for now.

Being thru the wars at Notre Dame means absolutely nothing. It might help a little bit that he played in a similar style of offense, but blitzes by college players are nothing compared to NFL linebackers.

Archived