• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting note on this year's defense

Mr. Scot

Perhaps Fox and Trgovac had different ideas on what needed to be "fixed" and that caused some confusion in the defensive backfield. In the attempt to correct the fix they had the DL injuries. Then some people began overplaying and freelancing trying to help other players and it all fell apart. Remember early in the season when the defense was playing so well you kept hearing guys talking about everybody knows their resposibilities and as long as everyone is where they are supposed to be and nobody is trying to help cover other peoples areas and freelancing like in the past it will work. Evidently they stopped doing it.

If I had to guess what caused Fox to "get more involved" it would probably be after the Arizona game when Beason said in an interview that the team did not prepare for 4 and 5 reciever sets. Facing the Cardinals and not preparing for 4 and 5 reciever sets is just ignorant and could have been what caused Fox to step in. I know if I was a head coach in that situation I would be pissed my DC didn't fully prepare for obvious sets.

Blaming Fox for screwing things up was one of the options I gave.

You did say that his involvement might have hurt but you covered it up with the "too many cooks" stuff. You have made clear statements that you think Trgo is at fault. Is he still at fault if the source of the D's problem was all Fox? Does Trgo deserve to take the fall for following his boss's orders?

If I had to guess what caused Fox to "get more involved" it would probably be after the Arizona game when Beason said in an interview that the team did not prepare for 4 and 5 reciever sets. Facing the Cardinals and not preparing for 4 and 5 reciever sets is just ignorant and could have been what caused Fox to step in. I know if I was a head coach in that situation I would be pissed my DC didn't fully prepare for obvious sets.

Don't you think that Fox should have noticed that the D was not looking at 4 & 5 receiver sets during practices leading up to that game? If he did but let it go, isn't he equally at fault? If he didn't notice, isn't he also at fault?

You did say that his involvement might have hurt but you covered it up with the "too many cooks" stuff. You have made clear statements that you think Trgo is at fault. Is he still at fault if the source of the D's problem was all Fox? Does Trgo deserve to take the fall for following his boss's orders?

"Too many cooks" was exposition, no excuse.

In my opinion, Trgovac is the problem, but I accept (based on the premise of this thread) the possibility that Fox deserves more blame then he's getting.

I don't agree with it, but I accept it as a possibility.

In my opinion, Trgovac is the problem, but I accept (based on the premise of this thread) the possibility that Fox deserves more blame then he's getting.

I not only think that Fox isn't being held to an appropriate level of accountability, I think Hurney is also getting to much of a pass.

I not only think that Fox isn't being held to an appropriate level of accountability, I think Hurney is also getting to much of a pass.

IMO, the Peppers situation has nothing to do with Fox, Trgovac, Hurney or the scheme. I think Peppers got his feelings hurt back in 07 when JR called him out and sence then hasn't been the same. I think the whole talk about the scheme is just talk so that people will put blame on Fox and company and not on Peppers for bashing a very popular owner that is in ail heath.

From Gantt: Future for Panthers coaches up in the air

About midway through the article...

Putting 2 and 2 together, John Fox began paying more attention to the defense around mid-season.

And when did the defense start to decline?

Around the latter part of mid-season :confused5:

Thus, you can take two possible conclusions from this.

A) Fox's input wasn't helpful. Perhaps it was just "too many cooks spoil the broth" or maybe their ideas just didn't mesh well. For whatever reason, it didn't help and may, in fact, have hurt.

or

B) Trgovac was annoyed, resentful, nervous or some other adverse emotion because Fox was sticking his nose in for the second year in a row. These bad feelings affected his job performance in the latter half of the year.

Which of these sounds more plausible?

The defense started declining when the competition got harder.

...pretty simple, I think....I could certainly be wrong.

The defense started declining when the competition got harder.

...pretty simple, I think....I could certainly be wrong.

IMO, the defense started struggling in the Detroit game. So at least in that game, the competition wasn't better. But overall, I agree. The defense struggled in the last 6 games against better competition.

Archived