• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Potential Head Coaches

Mr. Scot

JIM HARBAUGH

Jim-Harbaugh.jpg

CURRENT JOB: Head Coach, Stanford University

HISTORY: Stanford Head Coach (2007-present) San Diego University Head Coach (2004-2006) Raiders QB Coach (2002-2003) Western Kentucky University Volunteer Assistant (1994-2001)

DOB: 12/23/63 (46)

STRENGTHS: Great offensive mind, comes from a coaching family (worked with father Jack at WKU, brother John is head coach of the Baltimore Ravens) Has been on the rise and gotten pro attention (Jets interviewed him before going with Rex Ryan)

QUESTIONS: Minimal pro coaching experience (with a bad team). College coaches haven’t had such a stellar record coming into the NFL lately, and while he’s had some success as a college coach, he hasn’t contended for a national championship just yet

PANTHER CONNECTIONS: Multiple. His defensive coordinator is Vic Fangio, the very first DC of the Panthers (under Dom Capers). Harbaugh also employs another coach from the early Panther days. Specifically, Greg Roman, who was a defensive assistant and assistant strength and conditioning coach from 1995 to 2001. And then there’s special teams coach Brian Polian. Three guesses whose son he is.

Harbaugh finished his 15 year pro playing career with the Panthers in 2001 (dressed for six games, no playing time). The salary cap manager at the time of Harbaugh’s signing was a fellow by the name of Marty Hurney, so you’d expect the two to at least be acquainted.

And make of this what you will. After a 2008 game between Notre Dame and Stanford (the Irish won 28-21) Jimmy Clausen went to shake hands with Harbaugh, but Harbaugh turned and walked away. Harbaugh later said that he didn't see Clausen whom, incidentally, he had recruited before Clausen committed to Notre Dame.

WHO HE MIGHT BRING WITH HIM: Fangio and Roman would be no shock. Polian would be ironic. Also, you have to wonder, if the Panthers had a high enough pick to nab Stanford QB Andrew Luck, would Harbaugh go for him and perhaps attempt to trade current starter Jimmy Clausen to whatever West Coast Offense team would give up a decent offer?

ODDS AND ENDS: Harbaugh once slugged former Bills QB Jim Kelly for questioning his toughness - he apparently called Harbaugh "a baby" - while Kelly was an analyst for NBC. He later apologized (sort of). Also had a bit of a dustup with Pete Carroll over comments he made about Carroll leaving for the NFL (turned out he was right). He's got a pinky finger on his right hand that doesn't quite go in the right direction, not that it means anything. Has a Twitter page (http://twitter.com/jimharbaugh) which is a bit unusual for a football coach. Also is co-owner of an Indy Racing League team called, ironically enough, Panther Racing.

ANALYSIS: Harbaugh’s definitely one of the more intriguing options, but it’s up in the air whether he’s really ready to be a pro head coach. If he were to be hired, he’d be the first primarily offensive-minded coach in Panther history. Some would say that’s a plus, since hiring offensive minded coaches are the hot thing these days. Throw in that, given what I've seen about his personality, there's a good chance he'd give the beat writers a lot more to write about than John Fox ever did.

harbaugh is definitely a rising star in the coaching world. imo, as far as harbaugh is concerned, it doesn't matter that he hasn't coached on the pro level. he'd be able to do it and he's going to do it. someone is going to steal him away from the college ranks. it's only a matter of time.

i also think that getting an offensive minded coach would make us a lot more competitive. at the very least it has to be a defensive coach that hires a great innovative OC and gives him free reign.

really, i was just looking for an excuse to bump this up. lol

why not?

His career path:

Offensive assistant, WR coach, QB coach, figurehead OC who doesn't actually call plays.

What on Earth has McCoy ever shown that would recommend him as a HC candidate?

pretty much.

it's been discussed quite often.

that offense isn't his in denver. mckid made the playbook. mckid calls the plays. mccoy just tries to make sure the offense knows what mckid wants them to do.

jake didn't fall apart because mccoy left. jake fell apart all on his own. QB problems we are having isn't because we got rid of mccoy. as bad as rip may be, rip has done a lot more work preparing the QBs for play than mccoy who's idea of training was throwing a ball into a barrel. no concentration on mechanics or footwork or throwing motion or anything. just take the ball, throw it into that there barrel.

sorry...seriously do not want.

His career path:

Offensive assistant, WR coach, QB coach, figurehead OC who doesn't actually call plays.

What on Earth has McCoy ever shown that would recommend him as a HC candidate?

..lots of future HC take the same path..John Harbaugh was Special teams coordinator and Defesive backs coach before his job with the ravens...Its more than just job titles..some guys just know football.

I never said we should hire him.I just said we should give him a look.

i also think that getting an offensive minded coach would make us a lot more competitive. at the very least it has to be a defensive coach that hires a great innovative OC and gives him free reign.

really, i was just looking for an excuse to bump this up. lol

whteher we go offensive or defensive, i would reaaly like the next coach to give his coordinator more leeway than fox gives either of his

Just as I believe that a terribly unfavorable contract was the primary reason that Richardson paid for Delhomme to leave in the uncapped year, I also believe the CBA is the primary reason that Fox's contract was not renewed. Though fans may have a negative opinion of Delhomme or Fox's performance, the Big Cat has other considerations in mind.

Assuming the CBA returns next year, Fox will likely get a competitive offer from the Big Cat, and it will be up to Fox to either accept or reject it. My vote says he will look at the other offers, but will ultimately accept the one Richardson will make.

If the CBA does not return next year, then it is anyone's guess what will happen.

Just to throw a name out there that I don't know if anyone has mentioned.....Charlie Weis.

He is doing a good, not great the defense is doing great, job in KC this year. Of course all thoes years with New England helps and he does have head coaching experience(in college). I know he is a good friend of Fox so I don't know if that would help or hurt his cause or his wanting to coach here. Oh yea and we have this player at qb I think that has played for him before I belive.

His problem at Notre Dame was always defense, his offenses always seemed to score but they could not stop anyone. Here we already have a defense the offsense is the problem and Clausen should know it by now.

Personally not the way I would go but just some food for thought.

btw, not a Notre Dame fan. I just wanted to say that.

Archived