• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Should coaches be "friends"?

Mr. Scot

Hypothetical question: How would you feel about coaches being off-field social friends with players that they coach?

Would this be a good thing for team chemistry, or is it better for coaches and players to have an arms-length, strictly professional relationship in the interest of objectivity?

Note: Knowing how some here think, I fully expect a response suggesting "Friend" Jennifer Aniston be hired as a coach. If you want picks of Jennifer, click here: Lovely Ladies Forum

(nimrods) :mad:

(now watch someone suggest Courtney Cox or Lisa Kudrow)

I think there is a much tighter community among coaches than the general working public, for obvious reasons.

edit - not enough coffee. I thought you meant coaching staff being friends with each other.

I was an enlisted Marine, then later an army reserve officer, so I've seen it from both sides. You can't work with people everyday in high stress situations and not become familiar and even friendly with each other to some degree. But there has to be a line that you do not cross to maintain the hierarchy of authority. There's a reason commanding officers are discouraged from fraternizing too much with their troops. I would think something similar would apply to the player/coach relationship dynamic.

I think it's why most coaches don't last very long in the NFL. They get tight with the first group that buys into their shpiel, but then when those players lose a step (see: Minter, Rucker, Foster, etc) you are still sticking with them and losing the respect of the younger players who should be in their place. You believe in them because they believed in you, and you are unable to separate loyalty from performance, or even potential.

I think it's why most coaches don't last very long in the NFL. They get tight with the first group that buys into their shpiel, but then when those players lose a step (see: Minter, Rucker, Foster, etc) you are still sticking with them and losing the respect of the younger players who should be in their place. You believe in them because they believed in you, and you are unable to separate loyalty from performance, or even potential.

Would you see that as less of a problem for longer tenured coaches, or more of one?

Archived