• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wade Phillips vs. John Fox

fjblair

Head coaching involves a lot of things that coordinating doesn't. Clock management, challenge decisions, choosing when to bench a guy, penalty decisions, etc.

When you're a coordinator, the overwhelming majority of your job is Xs and Os. You call plays, but you're not generally called upon to be a leader.

Wade is a superior Xs and Os guy, but deficient in many other areas.

My opinion: He'll always be a better DC than head coach.

Head coaching involves a lot of things that coordinating doesn't. Clock management, challenge decisions, choosing when to bench a guy, penalty decisions, etc.

When you're a coordinator, the overwhelming majority of your job is Xs and Os. You call plays, but you're not generally called upon to be a leader.

Wade is a superior Xs and Os guy, but deficient in many other areas.

My opinion: He'll always be a better DC than head coach.

I agree with you 100%, but I am also not thinking that he is the worst HC in the league.

IMO he is a pawn, JJ wanted a high flying O, and a high risk/high reward D. He got the O part and needed the D part....hence Wade. If I had to guess, I bet Wade would like to tone down the O side of the ball, but JJ won't let that happen.

I agree with you 100%, but I am also not thinking that he is the worst HC in the league.

IMO he is a pawn, JJ wanted a high flying O, and a high risk/high reward D. He got the O part and needed the D part....hence Wade. If I had to guess, I bet Wade would like to tone down the O side of the ball, but JJ won't let that happen.

Worst HC would be a tough choice. If you were to ask me to name guys that shouldn't be head coaches right now, Phillips would be on the list. I'd also say...

Chan Gailey

Mike Singletary

Eric Mangini

Tom Cable

Norv Turner

Jack Del Rio

Gun to my head on the absolute worst and it's probably between Singletary and Gailey.

Not that big a fan of Marvin Lewis, Josh McDaniels or Brad Childress either. Lovie Smith has made some bad decisions of late too, but he's not on my list just yet.

Bum was his daddy.

And on the topic, Fox is actually a better head coach than Wade. Phillips' teams have never even sniffed the Super Bowl. He has exactly one playoff win on his resume' (the one with the Cowboys) in six postseason trips. And that's with four different teams.

Fox may not be my favorite coach, but objectively speaking, Wade's not in his class by a long shot :nonod:

Good DC? Yeah. But you don't want him as a head coach. He's just not built for it.

I always called him bum bc he looks like a Bum. didn't know that was his dad's name...lol. I knew he coached the Titans, but i forgot his name i guess.

Pretty sure Bum wasn't his given name :lol:

I'd have to look it up, though.

His given name was Oail Andrew Phillips... now you know why he went by "Bum." Oh crap, he's still alive! I was assuming he was dead, but dude is 87... He coached the Houston Oilers when Earl Campbell was a one-man wrecking crew RB there.

By the way, John Clayton said on ESPN this morning that John Fox is now a top candidate for the future vacancy in Dallas next year.

Archived