• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Too many people not making sense here

PanthersPhan18

It's not like it isn't true though. Rookie qbs aren't known to have good numbers. Nobody thought Peyton Manning would be as good as he is now with the numbers he produced in his first 4 starts in the NFL.

Manning was selected first overall in the 1998 draft by the Indianapolis Colts.[2] In his rookie season, he passed for 3,739 yards with 26 touchdowns, set five different NFL rookie records, including most touchdown passes in a season, and was named to the NFL All-Rookie First Team.[41][42][43] Manning's first win came against fellow rookie quarterback Ryan Leaf, 17–12 over the Chargers.[44] Weeks later, Manning faced off against Steve Young; he threw three touchdowns, tying a Colts rookie record, but the 49ers kicked a late field goal to win, 34–31.[45] In November against the Jets, Manning threw for three touchdowns in a 24–23 win; he was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week for this performance. It was the first game-winning drive of Manning's career, as he hit Marcus Pollard with the game-winning TD pass.[42][46] Manning was certainly a bright spot in 1998 for the Colts, but he also threw a league high 28 interceptions as the team struggled to a 3–13 record, with a defense that surrendered more than 27 points per game. The Colts lost many close games, including five games in which they had led by double-digits at some point

You are actually hurting your case. Manning played for a 3-13 team but had flashes of brilliance. People could see he was something special.

Clausen is no freaking Peyton Manning

It's not like it isn't true though. Rookie qbs aren't known to have good numbers. Nobody thought Peyton Manning would be as good as he is now with the numbers he produced in his first 4 starts in the NFL.

In baseball they have the minor leagues to get better. This is the big show. If you don't want to be criticized and labeled then go play in Europe or Canada to perfect your skills then come here. There is no D League or AA here. You are expected to come in at least somewhat capable. Sure there are lumps but 3-4 years is too long. Bad analogy.

In baseball they have the minor leagues to get better. This is the big show. If you don't want to be criticized and labeled then go play in Europe or Canada to perfect your skills then come here. There is no D League or AA here. You are expected to come in at least somewhat capable. Sure there are lumps but 3-4 years is too long. Bad analogy.

Clausen has also been talked about as the most NFL ready QB in the draft.

You are actually hurting your case. Manning played for a 3-13 team but had flashes of brilliance. People could see he was something special.

Clausen is no freaking Peyton Manning

How am I hurting my case? Manning played for a 3-13 team, but is this year's Panther team any better than that team was? Second, I never said Clausen is Peyton Manning, nor do I think he'll ever be as good as Manning. I brought this up because I want you to understand rookies go through slumps before they actually play like people hope they would. You could ask Josh Freeman. Bucs fans called for the kid's head last season and was labelled as a bust by many of them because of how horrible he played. Look at him so far this season. And don't tell me he had "flashes of brilliance", because he was absolutely pathetic last season. If you don't want to give a qb some time to prove himself when that's been the case for most rookie qbs in the history of this game, then you probably would never found a good qb for your team.

I find 3-4 years to be very long for a rookie....

How am I hurting my case? Manning played for a 3-13 team, but is this year's Panther team any better than that team was? Second, I never said Clausen is Peyton Manning, nor do I think he'll ever be as good as Manning. I brought this up because I want you to understand rookies go through slumps before they actually play like people hope they would. You could ask Josh Freeman. Bucs fans called for the kid's head last season and was labelled as a bust by many of them because of how horrible he played. Look at him so far this season. And don't tell me he had "flashes of brilliance", because he was absolutely pathetic last season. If you don't want to give a qb some time to prove himself when that's been the case for most rookie qbs in the history of this game, then you probably would never found a good qb for your team.

Ugh we have been through this ad nasuem.

Nobody cares if the rookie is winning tons of games in his first 4 games. all we want to see is potential, development, and some play that makes you think this is the guy. We can go 1-15, but i would be a happy camper if Clausen looked like an NFL QB with some potential to be elite.

He doesn't he looks terrible. Yes he will get more time to develop but it will be an uphill battle

Manning played on a crap team but was Offensive player of the week, was setting records and looked like a stud. Bradford looked sloppy at times yesterday but rams fans have something to be excited about.

You stated that rookie QBs don't have good numbers. Actually lots of them do. Including manning. On a 3-13 team.

when a guy can't complete the exchange from center I'm going to go ahead and call him a bust.

Don't forget to tell the Rams that about Bradford. :rolleyes:

Clausen may not amount to anything, but anyone who says they know whether he will or not yet is bias one way or the other.

edit: Manning started out pretty terribly, to be honest. He made one or two nice plays a game for his first half dozen games, but he took off and "righted the ship" as things went on. The cumulation of his season was strong but early he was making many, many mistakes. We have not seen anything from Clausen to think he's going to be elite, but we have seen at least a steady performance against a great NO team, and a terrible performance against a good CHI defense.

Recent rookie QB success had a lot to do with the team the rookies were playing on, tbh. Yes, the rookies played a role in the wins, but this team isn't going to make anyone look good.

Don't forget to tell the Rams that about Bradford. :rolleyes:

Clausen may not amount to anything, but anyone who says they know whether he will or not yet is bias one way or the other.

edit: Manning started out pretty terribly, to be honest. He made one or two nice plays a game for his first half dozen games, but he took off and "righted the ship" as things went on. The cumulation of his season was strong but early he was making many, many mistakes. We have not seen anything from Clausen to think he's going to be elite, but we have seen at least a steady performance against a great NO team, and a terrible performance against a good CHI defense.

Recent rookie QB success had a lot to do with the team the rookies were playing on, tbh. Yes, the rookies played a role in the wins, but this team isn't going to make anyone look good.

NO isn't great. They aren't half the team they were last year. And the only reason that game was competitive is because they turned it over deep in our territory, twice I believe. It wasn't like Clausen had us in a shootout or anything.

I for one am more ped off at the Armanti pick than Clausen, I don't understand how people can look past that. Oh wait yes I do, he is very well known in this state from a college close by. A part of me thinks there is a conspiracy that JR made this move as a 'business' move just to get more viewers, more fans and more money.Seems like a decision that would fit in with the other season's 'business decisions' very well as well as bring in numbers to recover lost fans from said decisions just because their app state homers. Not to say he won't be good but I really think he would have been there in the 4th. Unfortunately this plan only works briefly as we all soon realize he isn't even good enough to be on the field returning punts. Oh wow listen to me getting pretty presumptuous and way out of line. I am reporting my own post. TROLL!

Archived