• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Where Does the Panthers' Head Coaching Job Rank?

Carolina Husker

Don't assume coaches will line up to coach under Jerry Jones....yea he spends money, but hes way more hands on than coaches such as Gruden and Cowher would want to coach under. see Al Davis in Oakland

well gruden worked for Davis and had a gm in tampa that was in charge of personel, so I disagree on Gruden. As I said earlier Schefter already ruled out the possibility of Cowher ending up there

well gruden worked for Davis and had a gm in tampa that was in charge of personel, so I disagree on Gruden. As I said earlier Schefter already ruled out the possibility of Cowher ending up there

Just about everyone knows how hands on Jerry Jones is. He the most hands on owner in the league. you can't compare him to any other owner in the league...except Al Davis, only less crazy. Jerry likes Yes-Men.

Just about everyone knows how hands on Jerry Jones is. He the most hands on owner in the league. you can't compare him to any other owner in the league...except Al Davis, only less crazy. Jerry likes Yes-Men.

Nor Parcells or Jimmy Johnson were yes men. They both had the most success in Dallas that I can remember.

Oakland might win their division for the first time in a long time yet their coach might get fired? That's a little early there bud.

We have to be last on the original list. We play in one of the tougher conferences and the other 3 teams in our conference are on the upswing and getting better.

Divisions like the AFC West can be won with 8-8 records and that might make Denver more appealing. Some of the other jobs don't need explaining as to why they are more desirable than here.

Dude we are dead last. Who wants to go to a team where the owner likes to lowball the players and have lameduck coaches? Ya, I know he will start spending again but who says something like this will never happen again?

this, and to a degree, JR likes yes men as well.

It'll probably be a lil tough to attract coaches, as well as, FA over here. Luckily, in the past, JR has been known to spend some money, so hopefully that works to our favor.

Weekly?

When has a reliable source talked about Norv's job security....never.

That being said:

I put Oakland on there, well becuse Al is running the show, and anything can happen.

AZ because they are god awful, and Wiz has made some strange moves lately.

And Cincy, because once again, under Lewis the Bengles are have a really bad year, and they imploded in the playoffs last year.

While I wouldn't rank Carolina as any of the others as a prime location for a coach prospect, except for Minny, I really think y'all have the inside track to getting Cowher. With the loss of his wife, Kaye, I can't see him going anywhere else, but I do think he needs to get back into it for his mental health. Kaye was a college friend that I wish I had been able to know better after NC State, but I do know what affect she had on Bill and the girls. He will stay nearby.

I would say #2 or #3 depending on each coaches philosophy. This team does have a lot of talent we just don't have the veteran experience. The next coach will have some good pieces to work with in Beason, Hardy, Conner, possibly Anderson, TD, Martin, and Godfrey. He will already have a drafted QB to work with and the offensive line will be back next year. If Deangelo comes back it would make the deal even sweeter.

The trick will be what coach will best fit the players we have on the roster. If we can get a 4-3 coach with a better offensive philosophy(basically a more aggressive Fox) then I think this ship can turn around rather quickly.

However if you get a guy with a totally different philosophy, especially a different system(3-4) then this team may have to be stripped down except for a few pieces. This is a fear I have of Cowher.

The new coach will have to have the sense to take advantage of the talent that's already here.

Check List:

The WR's will be better next year. There is no need to get rid of them. Just sign a decent vet WR to bring some stability opposite Smith and I think we should be good here.

We need to shore up the right side of the o-line through the draft. Otah will be back and we can kick Schwartz to RG again. Though we need to sign or draft a RG or Tackle in the off season. We can't have a repeat of this years o-line debacle.

Brown will be in his make or break year. Another year of strength training should finally make him better. Hardy maybe ready to start. Johnson should be resigned but not for big money. Get a stud DT, draft or FA. We're set at LB and both safeties. Draft a corner and another pass rusher.

Sign Vet QB

Actually use TE's

Actual efficient and deceptive playcalling

Bam we're back

The Panthers have the following:

• A GM who drafts well, and who usually gives the coach input into what players will be taken. We've got a roster that's full of talent and largely built through the draft. Don't think a coach won't notice that.
  • A history that shows demonstrably we *will* go after a free agent if necessary. Ken Lucas, Justin Hartwig, Sean Gilbert, etc... all show that we don't mind getting them if needed, but big name free agents rarely work out and it's obvious that Fox and Hurney like to develop from within.
  • An owner who traditionally spends every last dime of the salary cap, and a GM who knows how to stretch it.
  • An owner who's always paid coaching staffs well.
  • A load of talent on the defensive side of the ball. We need help at Defensive Tackle, and maybe Cornerback. But there aren't really any glaring holes.
  • A young receiver corps led by an all-pro. They'll have a year under their belt and will just be getting ready to emerge.
  • A lot of talent on the offensive line. This group needs better coaching but there's certainly potential there.
  • Two star running backs, and two very talented backups. One star can probably be traded for picks as well.
  • It's *possible* that we already have a franchise quarterback. All we need is an NFL-caliber offensive coordinator and QB coach to find out.
  • A top pick in the draft.
  • Great facilities.
  • A competitive division.

For a Cowher/Parcells/Gruden, this might not be the best place because of the market size. But for an up-and-coming coordinator who wants a shot at glory, I can't think of a better situation. With the right draft and a little luck, this could be a very, very fast and successful turn-around.

Archived