• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Where Does the Panthers' Head Coaching Job Rank?

Carolina Husker

This job is the perfect situation for a Harbaugh type going from college to NFL.

I just have this bad feeling that we are in for a longer rebuilding process than we think. By the end of the season, things are going to be really bad in that locker room and we have a TON of meat sitting on the table left to resign. We are putting all our money on the opinion that our free agents will just resign with us because Charlotte is awesome and this is a great organization. We could end up with lots of holes because of the way this season played out. This type of season can sour a guy on an organization in a hurry.

This job is the perfect situation for a Harbaugh type going from college to NFL.

I just have this bad feeling that we are in for a longer rebuilding process than we think. By the end of the season, things are going to be really bad in that locker room and we have a TON of meat sitting on the table left to resign. We are putting all are money on the fact that our free agents will just resign with us because Charlotte is awesome and this is a great organization. We could end up with lots of holes because of the way this season played out.

I don't see why this job is any more perfect than another job. Other teams have just as many weapons, possibly weaker divisions, not as many free agents to be, and so on.

SF is just as young and talented. Minny has AP and a solid D. Dallas has weapons galore. SD has an established QB, young RB, the #1 O, the #1 D, and so on and so forth. Sadly we are going to get the coach no one else wanted.

But somebody like Harbaugh can come to Charlotte and work in relative annonymity while cutting his teeth in the NFL. He goes to a Dallas and loses, he might not last 2 years. He has a longer leash in Carolina IMO.

He could do that in San Fran or Minn as well. Only reason Minny is talked about now is Favre, once he is gone they will be back to obscurity.

Edit:

I also don't see Harbaugh as the guy to shy away from the spotlight.

I want to optimistic but you even said it, were just hoping our FA's sign because they like the city. Odds are we don't resign all of them and are filling more holes next year. Other teams are a lot closer to reaching the playoffs than us.

Minny and San Fran have a pretty big national following.

Either way, Carolina is the greatest job in the universe.

I guess but the media only talks about Dallas, NE, Indy, GB, and Favre so if he avoids those places he should be okay.

Edit:

And we've only listed NFL jobs. There will probably be a few high profile college jobs open and he will be highly sought after there as well.

San Diego is going to be the plum this offseason. With Rivers, all they need is a great defensive coach and they'll be elite.

Dallas is another good gig, just because you know Jones will pay whatever he can to get talent. But the expectations are sky high, and the GM is terrible. There's a reason that the franchise isn't really great any more, and it's the guy who signs the checks. No one in their right mind will go there without some control of personnel, and Jones won't give that to an up-and-comer.

San Fran is a good situation, they have some talent on both sides of the ball. But the ownership is bad, the players are immature, and there's no chemistry in the locker room. If Mike Singletary can't get their attention long enough for them to get together as a team, who can? But maybe a good defensive coach is what they need to turn things around.

Minnesota is promising, but they need a QB and they're aging on defense. Looks good on paper, but not poised to get better. I'm not even getting into their facilities issue. Who wants to live in Minnesota anyway?

Arizona is just... sad.

Cincinnati is a great place to go for those who are contemplating a career as a parole officer after football.

So where does Carolina rank among those teams? San Diego is a better place, but SLJ says that Fox has that job in the bag. Since the chin is going to Dallas, that leaves Carolina, San Fran, and Minnesota as the best of the rest.

In that group, I think there's a pretty good argument here. We've got a good group of young players, a good GM, good facilities, and an owner who may have made a mistake this year but who's usually among the best.

Tell me why we suck again?

Jerry Richardson is very well respected and this goes a long way. I think this in and of itself makes us more attractive then a lot of the other teams. In my opinion, you can rank the coaching opportunities based on the QB position alone. Whichever franchise has the best QB will be the most coveted opportunity. Let's face it, this is the most important position in the NFL and also the most difficult to find talent.

Assuming we are able to resign guys we want to keep, I think we are a DT and a QB away from being on top again. Not sure if one of the guys we have is going to be the answer at QB or not. Time will tell. The success of our franchise for the next couple of years will be dependent on this. I consider this team a lot like the Falcons after the Vick scandal. Good solid core but obviously lacking at the QB position. Look how fast Matt Ryan turned that franchise around. They hired Mike Smith b/c he was the only one brave enough to take that position at the time.

Archived