• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

6 years ago today: Malice at the Palace

Dpantherman

No wonder the NBA is so hard on emotion and stuff at games, they want to avoid any PR incident like this one.

I'm not saying Artest was in the right, but if someone threw a bottle at me I'd be pretty pissed too.

The worst showing was from the rest of the Detroit crowd, throwing EVERYTHING onto the court. I don't think our fans here would do that.

And now people bitch about the NBA being too soft and not as good as the golden eras of the 80s and 90s. Well, this is why. Used to be guys would get in a fight, get suspended a game, maybe 2 games tops and it'd be over and done with. Now, a guy gets in a fight, its shown 40 million times on ESPN News and sportscenter for a week. It gets microanalyzed by the analysts and the fans today have more access to voice their opinions on these things than ever before. Different times, different era. But this incident should serve as a reference point as to when Stern really started clamping down on the physicality of the game.

I also agree with others man, we gotta take into account where this happened. The players were clearly outta line and went too far, but c'mon man, those fans were classless and out of their fuging minds that night. This was just one of those "Pulp Fiction" too real for TV moments that happens once every generation.

Stern is a terrible owner and went about this situation entirely wrong and only cared to please Pistons fans. Most sports fans saw this as being obviously incited by the Pistons fans. Stern wanted to put all the blame on the players.

This would not have happened in any other arena aside from in New York or Philadelphia imo.

Also they should stop serving alcohol at basketball games. If anything that had as much to do with it as Pistons fans.

Archived