• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who is the core?

NJPanthers12

and? look around him. situational pass rushers? are sacks the only measure of a DE? do you realize how foolish you sound?

People asked my opinion so I gave it. When I think about the Panthers core, CJ is not on my list. He is having a decent year, but I don't think he is the long-term answer. Seems like we waited for a long time for CJ to have his coming out year. I guess this is the year, but it isn't as "coming out" as I would imagine. I am not saying he is not talented, but just not part of "my core." That was my point. You are certainly entitled to your own opinion.

And yes, there is more to what a DE does than just sacks. Having said that, pressure has to come from somewhere and typically DE's are the ones tasked with this duty. It isn't the only thing a DE must do, but it is certainly one of the most important. Part of the problem our D has had this year is the lack of pressure. People jump on our corners, but the reality is no one can cover a pro receiver forever.

Is CJ doing fine for now - Yes. Will he be the long-term option for the Panthers - time will tell but I think not. Do you really think opposing teams are game planning against CJ? Do you think opposing teams are game planning against Beason, DWill, TD (when healthy), etc? Of course they are. Those are the types of players I consider "core."

Clausen - Hard to judge his abilities behind our line. But he will be kept if only as a backup

Williams

Goodson

Kalil

Gettis

Rosario

Barnidge

Johnson - He hasn't quit playing, I once thought he was a wasted pick.

Beason

Conner

Anderson

Godfrey - Yes he takes bad angles and yes he gets beat sometimes, but look who he's playing behind.

Martin

Gross - should be moved back to the RS or traded.

OL - Needs help

T. Davis - Great athlete but injury prone, would it be wise to invest a huge contract on a player who has had, what 3 knee surgeries?

Marshall - Gone

Gamble - This guy made over 14 million last year? Dear god, is Cecil Newton his agent?

Kasay - Love ya and thanks for the memories.

Lloyd - No comment!

DT - Big concern

Brayton - Gone

Matt Moore - Depends on new coach, probably gone.

QB: Andrew Luck 22

RB: DeAngelo Williams 28

FB: Tony Fiammetta 25

WR: Steve Smith 32

WR: David Gettis 24

WR: Brandon LaFell 24

TE: Dante Rosario 26

LT: Jordan Gross 31

LG: Travelle Wharton 30

C: Ryan Kalil 26

RG:

RT: Jeff Otah 25

DE: Charles Johnson 25

DT:

DT:

DE: Greg Hardy 23

SLB: James Anderson 27

MLB: Jon Beason 26

WLB: Thomas Davis 28

CB: Chris Gamble 28

SS:

FS: Sherrod Martin 26

CB:

This is a list of the players I want to be starting next year and how old they will be going into next season. That is a very young and talented team if Andrew Luck is as good as advertised. That is a core that could definitly make a run in the near future.

agreed. not sure i would call that the "core" of the team, but it ins't a bad team at all. you consider that this team also has one of the best RB corbs an LB corps in the league as is and that is pretty dynamic. holes are appropriate. huge question marks at SS, CB (though i like munnerlynn), RG, and DT. RG and DT can be fixed in FA. SS and CB...i don't know. that might be something i would want to make a couple trades for.

Are you serious?!

Charles Johnson in 10 starts (pre-Browns game)

*578 snaps (273 against run plays, 288 against pass plays, 17 plays in coverage)

*33 Tackles - 2nd amongst 4-3 DE's in NFL

*5 sacks - Tied 18th amongst 4-3 DE's in NFL

*3 QB Hits - Tied 36th amongst 4-3 DE's in NFL

*33 QB Pressures - 6th amongst 4-3 DE's in NFL

*32 Defensive Stops - 2nd amongst 4-3 DE's in NFL

*1 Batted Pass - Tied 14th amongst 4-3 DE's in NFL

His cumulative pass rush amounts to generating pressure once every 7 pass plays, which is 8th in the NFL for 4-3 DE's (14.2% of his pass rushes results in pressure).

What this is essentially saying is that he is playing in the top 10 of 4-3 De's when pass rushing AND in the top 10 when playing the run. Combined he is having one of the most complete seasons for a 4-3 De in the NFL.

The sad thing is he is constantly beating his blocker, but due to lack of pressure across the rest of the line, when he forces the QB to move there is no one taking advantage of this. If we can get any form of consistent pressure from the RE spot or the DT position, then Johnson's pressure will either result in him completing more sacks as the QB has no where to move, or someone else taking advantage of his good play.

Note - Pressures constitute forcing the QB to move in the pocket, however this does not count when the QB simply 'steps up' into the pocket

well said/argued.

Archived