• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who is the core?

NJPanthers12

Looking at this roster right now, what players do you consider to be the core of this team. If we were to be in the Super Bowl a few years from now what players on the current roster would you expect to be there? Just have been taking an in depth look at our roster, and looking through stats and using personal opinion of what positions I think we are good at and who I want this team to keep. Wanted everyone elses opinion as well.

Considering how long they have been with the team, the likelihood of remaining with the team for a long period of time, and they're in game presence: Beason, DeAngelo, CJ, & Thomas Davis are honestly the only ones that come to mind for me.

Depends how many years from now, because some of the guys might be up there in age.

I would expect a large part of our offensive line to be in tact; Kalil, Gross(depends on how long we're talking again), Otah (hopefully!), Wharton... after that, kinda not sure. Depending on how many you mean by a few, I would expect Steve Smith to be here, and honestly, Gettis and Lafell the way they've managed despite our offense. I would expect Goodson to be here in 3+ years, but I'm not sure on the others, again, depends on how long (this is no knock on Stew or Dwill, just a comment on running back age).

Kasay will probably have retired. :(

On D, I would expect our linebacking core mostly intact as long as we stick with a 4-3; Anderson, Beason, Davis could be a beasting linebacker group. I also would expect Captain to remain in some capacity and Martin to take on a bigger role. Charles Johnson will likely be an old man on the line by then, and I would expect Hardy to be contributing majorly by then because I think it's clear he has the potential.

Many other big names we have today I wouldn't expect back because of 3+ years means a lot of contracts will come up by then and I would expect us to go in different directions for some of them.

Considering how long they have been with the team, the likelihood of remaining with the team for a long period of time, and they're in game presence: Beason, DeAngelo, CJ, & Thomas Davis are honestly the only ones that come to mind for me.

Interesting, I would have never put CJ as part of our core. Maybe I am in the minority, but I have never been that impressed with him. Seems to just be a place holder to me.

ok i did word this thread wrong, over the next 5 years who do you expect to be our core starters year in and year out. who is going to be our Mike Minter, Mike Rucker, Julius Peppers, Chris Gamble, etc. Players you know will be our starters year in and year out no matter what.

the way i look at it our -line is pretty set for the next 5 years with Gross-Wharton-Kalil-Otah. We do need a RG, but see how the rest of the year plays out with Schwartz.

We are pretty set at RB and hopefully will be set at QB with Luck. After that we will get a better idea next year of how big of an impact Gettis, Edwards, and LaFell will have in the future. It is unfortunate but it doesnt look like Smith will be here when we can make a run. I also love Rosario and hope a new coach finds a spot for him next year.

On defense I see Johnson, Hardy, Beason, Davis, Anderson, Gamble, Martin, and Munnerlyn strictly at the Nickel.

Right now this team still needs 2 DT, offensive line depth, Safety, cornerback, and a WR.

I can see him on our team for a long while.

Forgot about Khalil, but was hesitant to put Gamble in there...maybe Wharton but I dunno (he sometimes looks gfreat, sometimes meh)

I'm hoping Martin, Munnerlyn, Anderson, and Gettis can all emerge to become long term solid players here too. They could be real good assets down the road.

??? hes leading the team in sacks

Leading this team in sacks holds the same weight as leading this team in TD receptions. I personally would not list CJ as a core player, but that is my opinion. If we had a better option at that position, I bet he would go back to a situational player like he was before. Just my two cents.

QB: Andrew Luck 22

RB: DeAngelo Williams 28

FB: Tony Fiammetta 25

WR: Steve Smith 32

WR: David Gettis 24

WR: Brandon LaFell 24

TE: Dante Rosario 26

LT: Jordan Gross 31

LG: Travelle Wharton 30

C: Ryan Kalil 26

RG:

RT: Jeff Otah 25

DE: Charles Johnson 25

DT:

DT:

DE: Greg Hardy 23

SLB: James Anderson 27

MLB: Jon Beason 26

WLB: Thomas Davis 28

CB: Chris Gamble 28

SS:

FS: Sherrod Martin 26

CB:

This is a list of the players I want to be starting next year and how old they will be going into next season. That is a very young and talented team if Andrew Luck is as good as advertised. That is a core that could definitly make a run in the near future.

Leading this team in sacks holds the same weight as leading this team in TD receptions. I personally would not list CJ as a core player, but that is my opinion. If we had a better option at that position, I bet he would go back to a situational player like he was before. Just my two cents.

My view of him is that he's been here, showed promise, and if we can finally get a huge f'n DT, he could become a 8+ sack a year type. If not, I still see him staying here a long while eventually becoming an Al Wallace type.

My view of him is that he's been here, showed promise, and if we can finally get a huge f'n DT, he could become a 8+ sack a year type. If not, I still see him staying here a long while eventually becoming an Al Wallace type.

I dont agree with that I believe that Charles Johnson has a lot more potential than the Principal. I loved Al Wallace rotating with Ruck and Pep but he was not as good as Johnson. I honestly think that Johnson can be as good as Rucker IF we cant get some DTs and if Hardy can create pressure from the other side.

Archived