• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Like it or not, Clausen isnt the reason.

chknwing

Well my intentions on this thread was to ease the Clausen bashing. Hes a rookie. Peyton Manning was completly horrid his first year. Remember Clausen played with mostly the 2nd string during TC because Matt Moore was the starter. he was given the reigns to the team with both hands tied behind his back. The God of Pro Football Joe Montana could not have done any better in the same siuation. Cut the kid some slack. 1 Season does not a qb make.

anyone who thinks peyton manning was "completely horrid" his rookie year was not paying any attention. he made a poo ton of rookie mistakes but he also made a poo ton of great plays too. with him there was bad, but there was good too. with clausen it's all bad. don't even compare the two, clausen is in a league of his own suckitutde.

peyton manning's rookie stats:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/4256/index.html

Clausen's rookie numbers:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/24023

Give me peyton manning as a rookie any day over jimmy clausen.

Truthfully if Clausen didn't roll out and he stood in the pocket without throwing it away there would be about 45.

Beuerlein was sacked 50 times in 1999 and still had 36 TDS to 15 Ints and a passer rating of 92. In 2000 he was sacked 62 times and still threw 19 TDs to 18 Ints with a passer rating of 79. He was a statue but still played much better than Clausen. The whole he doesn't have time excuse is old. Clausen doesn't know what to do with it and just sits and holds it until he get sacked or throws it away. He is awful just face the facts.

Beuerlein was sacked 50 times in 1999 and still had 36 TDS to 15 Ints and a passer rating of 92. In 2000 he was sacked 62 times and still threw 19 TDs to 18 Ints with a passer rating of 79. He was a statue but still played much better than Clausen. The whole he doesn't have time excuse is old. Clausen doesn't know what to do with it and just sits and holds it until he get sacked or throws it away. He is awful just face the facts.

Beuerlein was an experienced veteran though. You can't expect Clausen to be that poised in the pocket when he hasn't even had a half a season's worth of snaps yet.

FWIW, I do see some potential in Clausen, but he is nowhere near ready to be a full time starter yet. The good news is that he has a reputation for making big strides in his second season. That's what happened at ND, so hopefully it will happen here.

One problem is that fans keep comparing Clausen to 1st round picks that were being groomed to start as soon as they went to their 1st practice. This was not the case with Clausen at all. He was a 2nd round pick who the Panthers didn't expect to start until probably next year, because they had confidence in Matt Moore. He was definitely not taking the majority of the 1st team reps everyday in TC like Bradford was.

lmfao, Beurlein was not a rookie that year and also had reliable people to throw too Walls and Jeffers. Why would you even compare a vet to a rookie is beyond me.

No one Beuerlein had in 1999 or 2000 is as good as Steve Smith. PLus in 2000 Walls only had 400 yards and wasn't a big factor. Of the receivers, there were only 2 receivers- Muhammed and Hayes. Smith is better than Mohhamed was in 2000 and LaFell and Gettis were equal to Donald Hayes.

It isn't about being a rookie or not but sucking or not. The point is that you can have a crappy offensive line and not suck. Our receivers are every bit as good as in 2000 and the difference is that Beuerlein could throw the ball and did so down the field. Clausen doesn't, and makes everyone suck. he causes half the sacks by not knowing where people should be, changing plays, going to hot reads and not throwing the ball to diminish the blitz. Honestly there is no reason not to blitz. He gets sacked half the time and the other half he throws it away. He can't make the defenses pay.

Beuerlein was an experienced veteran though. You can't expect Clausen to be that poised in the pocket when he hasn't even had a half a season's worth of snaps yet.

FWIW, I do see some potential in Clausen, but he is nowhere near ready to be a full time starter yet. The good news is that he has a reputation for making big strides in his second season. That's what happened at ND, so hopefully it will happen here.

My point was simply that we have quarterbacks who had a bunch of sacks but still played pretty well. That is not an excuse for Clausen sucking so bad. The line is bad for sure but he still sucks and would suck even if the line is better.

SLJ VS RealDeal : The 2 posters not named fiz that think they know all about Carolina Panthers Football.

I don't know all of football, but I do know QBs

Well my intentions on this thread was to ease the Clausen bashing. Hes a rookie. Peyton Manning was completly horrid his first year. Remember Clausen played with mostly the 2nd string during TC because Matt Moore was the starter. he was given the reigns to the team with both hands tied behind his back. The God of Pro Football Joe Montana could not have done any better in the same siuation. Cut the kid some slack. 1 Season does not a qb make.

False, Manning had some good moments, so far Jimmy is just bad. Moore came in his rookie year without a TC at all and getting no reps with the starters until week 15 and played better than Clausen has.

I'd count 1 as his lone TD pass, plus

deep throw to LaFell for 44 yds against CIN

deep throw to Smith against SEA

deep throw to LaFell against CLE

3rd and 15 22 yds to Gettis yesterday

That's 5 moments. Still doesn't make me feel better about our pass game.

*cue TRD's know-it-all comments now

I'll give you 2-5 but we've been over the first one. A broken play where Stewart had to turn around and catch the pass like a punt is not a positive for Jimmy, I'm sorry.

My point was simply that we have quarterbacks who had a bunch of sacks but still played pretty well. That is not an excuse for Clausen sucking so bad. The line is bad for sure but he still sucks and would suck even if the line is better.

Yeah, he's looked bad, but he is a rookie. I just don't understand all the hatred for that kid around here. Most reasonable people had to know that he would most likely struggle as a rookie, especially when the plan wasn't to start him right away and he wasn't getting 1st team reps all along. Not to mention that our O-line has been horrid at pass pro this year, regardless of who the QB is.

Archived