• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Those who want Cam Newton First overall...

Ricky Spanish

true. young would never have lasted through the storm that newton has already weathered. imo, if newton can handle what has dealt with so far, he's already well ahead of where young was.

Yeah he actually seems to have the mental side of it

I would take Newton first if Luck doesn't come out. I think he's a more accurate Vince Young. Young would be a good player if he didn't go crazy and want to kill himself everytime he got booed.

i wouldnt, Newton is as ready to start as Clausen was when he took over for Matt Moore the first time. Newton wouldnt win anymore than 2 games in my book. he's not as athletic as Vick is, i dont think you pick a risky player like Newton with the number one overall pick.

I know it seems like i am just shitting on newton, but honestly, I'd rather take him than clausen.

i know i said newton doesn't have "it" but i'm pretty sure he has more "it" than clausen does.

at least newton would have an excuse for struggling in a pro style offense and he would be entertaining to watch run around.

Luck is pretty solid athlete. I want him. Have any of yall seen the hit he laid on a DB that recovered a fumble.
true. he's a lot more athletic than people think when they look at his cerebral qualities.

kind of the same way i think newton is a better passer and smarter than most people give him credit for. he isn't the one trick pony that many believe. as a passer i really compare him to big ben. i think he's that good.

what newton will need is an offense designed around his talents. mroe than likely it will be something like the pistol offense. newton in the pistol offense would be downright lethal.

the advantage that luck has is that he would be able to fit in any offense and be good.

I know it seems like i am just shitting on newton, but honestly, I'd rather take him than clausen.

i know i said newton doesn't have "it" but i'm pretty sure he has more "it" than clausen does.

at least newton would have an excuse for struggling in a pro style offense and he would be entertaining to watch run around.

agreed. the ceiling is a whole lot higher for newton than clausen.

I know it seems like i am just shitting on newton, but honestly, I'd rather take him than clausen. i know i said newton doesn't have "it" but i'm pretty sure he has more "it" than clausen does. at least newton would have an excuse for struggling in a pro style offense and he would be entertaining to watch run around.

honestly, i DONT. Newton isnt ready to start in my book and i think he's as much a risk as Clausen is, both on and off the field. I rather gamble on Clausen and get him AJ Green than gamble on Newton with Gettis, Smith and LaFell and have him starting on day one.

true. he's a lot more athletic than people think when they look at his cerebral qualities. kind of the same way i think newton is a better passer and smarter than most people give him credit for. he isn't the one trick pony that many believe. as a passer i really compare him to big ben. i think he's that good. what newton will need is an offense designed around his talents. mroe than likely it will be something like the pistol offense. newton in the pistol offense would be downright lethal. the advantage that luck has is that he would be able to fit in any offense and be good.

BUT that's my problem with him, you MAY have to change the offense, i think he is athletic, but not what people think. he's not Vick fast, and i dont think his arm is like Big Ben's. maybe a young Vick with his arm. I think Andrew Luck is another Ben or John Elway type though. That's who Luck reminds me of and THAT is why i think it should be either him and avoid Newton, i think Newton NEEDS to spend a year on the bench watching and learning (like The Golden Calf of Bristol did), i think (if he starts day one) he will run too much resulting in more sacks and i also see more interceptions too.

BUT that's my problem with him, you MAY have to change the offense, i think he is athletic, but not what people think. he's not Vick fast, and i dont think his arm is like Big Ben's. maybe a young Vick with his arm. I think Andrew Luck is another Ben or John Elway type though. That's who Luck reminds me of and THAT is why i think it should be either him and avoid Newton, i think Newton NEEDS to spend a year on the bench watching and learning (like The Golden Calf of Bristol did), i think (if he starts day one) he will run too much resulting in more sacks and i also see more interceptions too.

we'll most likely be changing the offense anyways. at least i hope we do.

the pistol wouldn't be that hard of an offesne to adjust to. much of what we have done already could be done easily out of that formation. you can do pretty much the same things you can with a QB under center, only it gives him the advantage of being three yards back.

i do think that newton has a big (and accurate) arm that is pretty equal to that of ben's. he can sit back and wait or buy time for things to develop downfield and already does a little reading of defenses. he watches the safeties and times his passes based on what they are doing. he's a lot smarter than what people think. i do agree that he may have to sit for a year while luck could probably start right away and do well, but if newton did start right away it wouldn't be the disaster that we have had with clausen. he's got some legs and can get himself ou of trouble. i also disagree with the idea that he wouldn't be able to pull off the type of running he did at auburn in the pros. he's got as much running ability and power as any RB coming out of college.

even if we have the 3rd or 4th pick I have a feeling the panthers will pass on drafting Cam Newton.

I think it's hard to say what they will do with no coaching staff in place yet.

You could be right, but I'm hoping that if we don't get Luck then we for sure get Newton.

we'll most likely be changing the offense anyways. at least i hope we do. i do think that newton has a big (and accurate) arm that is pretty equal to that of ben's. he can sit back and wait or buy time for things to develop downfield and already does a little reading of defenses. i do agree that he may have to sit for a year while luck could probably start right away and do well, but if newton did start right away it wouldn't be the disaster that we have had with clausen.

well, we will change offenses, but i dont think Newton has the arm Ben has. Ben's arm was NFL ready and he read defenses in college (not good ones of course). and you agree that he will have to sit, BUT if we draft him at number one, then it's either play him or play a backup and i KNOW if we draft Newton, Clausen is gone. he will be released or traded for a 5th round pick, so that means, they would win (likely) 2 games with him. Remember they play in a division with good defenses and a coach who blitzs (Gregg Williams) and Williams will blitz Newton and i dont think Newton would read them that well as a first year starter.

i also disagree with the idea that he wouldn't be able to pull off the type of running he did at auburn in the pros. he's got as much running ability and power as any RB coming out of college.

As for this, Newton's running is VERY similar to Vince Young's and Vince Young isnt running around like he did in college, he is now a passing quarterback who is immature. i dont see Newton running like he did in college. If Newton can run with power, so can The Golden Calf of Bristol, however, if The Golden Calf of Bristol can't, Newton in my book wont be able to. Newton will have to use speed to get by NFL defenses and i dont think he has that, i am a fan of Newton and think (in time) he could be good, but i am not a fan of starting him on day one.

You could be right, but I'm hoping that if we don't get Luck then we for sure get Newton.

i rather gamble on Jake Locker than Cam Newton and if you cant get Locker and Luck stays in school, wait a year and if Clausen still stinks it up like everyone thinks, than they should get Luck in 2012 and then they would likely have a better recieving corps for Luck too, I just dont think Newton is worth the risk at number one especially when he will HAVE to start on day one unless the panthers trade or sign McNabb which i also wouldnt do.

nobody is taking Newton top 10, we need Fairley or PP if we dont get Lucky

If we dont get Luck we should look at Fairley, Patrick Peterson and AJ Green and like i said, if the pathers stink in 2011 they will be in perfect position to get Luck again.

Archived