• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Say what you want of Steve Smith but at least he does most things behind closed doors

The Saltman

Steve Smith plays worse on the field, acts like a baby on the field, shows up his QB, talks sh*t about his QB to the media, and is known to not help out young receivers yet everyone acts like TO is so much worse. You guys act like SS has never questioned the coaches in public before.

It's funny how people try and blame TO for this season (Meat: "As for TO...you made that bed, Cincinnati. You sleep in it. My Rams needed WRs in the worst way this season. They said no thank you and they could be looking at 8-8 this year.") like Palmer completely sh*tting the bed Delhomme style isn't the reason they are bad. Or the fact that their top 5 defense from years past is nowhere to be found?

What about the other reports that TO helped diffuse other situations earlier in the year?

You guys are just haters and using TO to try and defend SS when it's really not even close at this point. TO by a landslide.

Steve Smith plays worse on the field, acts like a baby on the field, shows up his QB, talks sh*t about his QB to the media, and is known to not help out young receivers yet everyone acts like TO is so much worse. You guys act like SS has never questioned the coaches in public before.

It's funny how people try and blame TO for this season (Meat: "As for TO...you made that bed, Cincinnati. You sleep in it. My Rams needed WRs in the worst way this season. They said no thank you and they could be looking at 8-8 this year.") like Palmer completely sh*tting the bed Delhomme style isn't the reason they are bad. Or the fact that their top 5 defense from years past is nowhere to be found?

What about the other reports that TO helped diffuse other situations earlier in the year?

You guys are just haters and using TO to try and defend SS when it's really not even close at this point. TO by a landslide.

I wasn't defending SS. TO is a top five talent of all time at his position. Yet what should have been an amazing career has been ruined by his mouth. Happened in SF. Happened in Philly. Happened in Dallas. Not sure about Buffalo but it sure is happening now in Cincy. Everything started well in all of those places.

I think this is perception becoming reality. Steve Smith has said as many things and actually done worse things than TO but doesn't have the reputation of TO, partly because he doesn't put up TO like numbers year in and year out.

SS is my favorite player of all time with TO pretty high on that list as well but let's not pretend SS is an angel.

I don't think anyone has said SS is an angel. It's well known that he's had his issues. And comparing "numbers" between the two would be like comaring apples to oramges - TO has had played in several different offenses (playbooks, QBs, coordinators, coaches, etc.) than Steve Smith - who basically played under Jake Delhomme and John Fox for most of his career.

That said, there is a difference between having a bit of a temper, and being a locker room cancer. Smitty has not been the latter, whereas TO has - which is why his ass has been kicked off so many teams. That is the point that people are trying to make with you.

Would you consider breaking the nose of a fellow teammate locker room cancer?

No... I consider pitting team mates against one another and having no remorse about it a locker room cancer.

Smitty's temper and physical abuse certainly could have become a locker room cancer. But in the case of the "broken nose" he admitted wrongdoing, apologized, and asked Ken to forgive him. And what happened afterwards did more to bring the two, and the team, together than splitting it apart.

Smitty will at least take a hard look at himself when he's wrong. You don't see TO doing that - it's always someone else's fault.

You can believe whatever you want about the two players but the facts are facts. Smith has done and SAID just as much if not more than TO has to destroy a locker room but you give him a pass because you are a fan of the team he plays for whereas you are not a TO fan so you call him a cancer.

I understand the argument I just want you to realize you are making it. I personally don't think TO has deserved the rep he has gotten but oh well, he's still a monster on the field and not really a big deal off of it.

This is mild compared to TO's antics from his past...

That said...

Owens: 72 rec, 983 yards, 9 TDs

Smith: 41 rec, 515 yards, 2 TDs

Owens with the "most overrated QB in the NFL"

Smith with the worst QBs in the NFL

Yeah, Owens has had the ball thrown to him by Steve Young, Jeff Garcia, Donovan Mcnabb, Tony Romo, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Carson Palmer.

Smitty has had the good Jake Delohomme followed by the very bad Jake, all the while having #17's back. Also you have the likes of Rodney Peete, Vinny Testeverde, Matt Moore, Brian St. Pierre, and Jimmy Clausen.

Sometimes Smitty's self control is amazing.

Yeah, Owens has had the ball thrown to him by Steve Young, Jeff Garcia, Donovan Mcnabb, Tony Romo, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Carson Palmer.

Smitty has had the good Jake Delohomme followed by the very bad Jake, all the while having #17's back. Also you have the likes of Rodney Peete, Vinny Testeverde, Matt Moore, Brian St. Pierre, and Jimmy Clausen.

Sometimes Smitty's self control is amazing.

7 million dollars a year should buy anybody some self-control.

You can believe whatever you want about the two players but the facts are facts. Smith has done and SAID just as much if not more than TO has to destroy a locker room but you give him a pass because you are a fan of the team he plays for whereas you are not a TO fan so you call him a cancer.

I understand the argument I just want you to realize you are making it. I personally don't think TO has deserved the rep he has gotten but oh well, he's still a monster on the field and not really a big deal off of it.

Facts? The facts are that just about every team that TO has played for (with possible the exception of Buffalo (which was sort of a "go stand in the corner until you can play nice" thing), the team PLAYERS were glad to see him go. I don't hear that from any player with the Panthers regarding Smitty. Maybe Clausen has those feelings, but that is a story in itself.

As for my not being a fan of TO? Hell, I love to watch him play. He's an amazing WR. Love his TD antics too, and hate that the NFL puts a harness on his creativity there. But even with all of that talent, I wouldn't want him playing here - based on facts.

Archived