• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Next Head Coach

Mr. Scot

Very well aware, everyone knows Reid makes the calls.

Zorn only called plays in Washington, and the owner took that away mid-season. But people are all about him.

I like Jim Zorn because he can help develop QBs. He helped out Matt Hasselbeck, and he even helped along Charlie Batch.

What happened in Washington was a fiasco, and he wasn't even meant to have the head coaching job.

oh, wow, Charlie Batch. Sign me up.

I mean, that's all well and good on Zorn should've/shouldn't have, but he still called the plays and it was still a disaster. Childress was at best a mediocre head coach but his play calling in MN was very good, as was the offense he ran. I really don't see why people are falling all over themselves for various failures and have concerns about Childress. Maybe not enough Charlie Batch type success stories in his resume.

oh, wow, Charlie Batch. Sign me up.

I mean, that's all well and good on Zorn should've/shouldn't have, but he still called the plays and it was still a disaster. Childress was at best a mediocre head coach but his play calling in MN was very good, as was the offense he ran. I really don't see why people are falling all over themselves for various failures and have concerns about Childress. Maybe not enough Charlie Batch type success stories in his resume.

I agree that Brad Childress had a great run as a play-caller in Minnesota. (If you go back a few pages, you'll see where I said something about it.)

The reason I pointed out Charlie Batch is because he had the Top 5 Passer Rating for a rookie ever while Jim Zorn was his mentor. So, yes, obviously his influence was significant in someway.

Did it last forever? No, of course not.

I just wanted to point out that fact.

i asked a buddy of mine in another forum has a pretty good ear for things his opinion of the gusy we are looking at and he said his two favorites for us were rivera and fewell, but even though he's a fan of rivera he thought that fewell might actually be better. i asked him why and this is what he said...

Every quote ive heard from players on the NY D indicates that they go to war for Fewell, not for Coughlin, who they all seem to hate.......he just seems more fiery than Rivera to me......he's done a hell of a job with that D considering what the front office there stuck him with (a washed up Bulluck, an overpaid and admittedly disinterested Antrel Rolle), and some bad luck (losing Kiwanuka was huge). He got Osi to give a damn again and got Thomas/Webster to play better than I thought they would.

Either one would be a good hire as Rivera is a good coach, I just think Fewell deserves a shot somewhere too.

i asked a buddy of mine in another forum has a pretty good ear for things his opinion of the gusy we are looking at and he said his two favorites for us were rivera and fewell, but even though he's a fan of rivera he thought that fewell might actually be better. i asked him why and this is what he said...

good stuff. That makes me feel better about Fewell.

I think people are just nervous about going with another DC from the NYG.

So really, Manusky is the only candidate that's a little off the map for me, but I'd be overall fine with any of the choices so far

I've heard a lot of people make the argument that Rivera would be a bad hire since he's been talked about as a candidate for years now each offseason but has never actually been hired for a head coaching job. I think this is silly. To me it's better not to rush with a coach. I think Rivera is at the perfect point in his career to move to the head coaching spot. He has proven all he can as a coordinator and he's ready to take his talents to the next level. Too many coaches are rushed into the head job these days and many of them fail miserably. I think Rivera would be excellent with us. I'm not saying we're going to have a winning record next year or anything, but we will be on the right track again with Rivera at the helm. We'll be an extremely competitive team and in 2 or 3 years here we can have aspirations to go deep into the playoffs again.

Here is a strange coincidence though about Rivera and the other 3 HC candidates...

Fewell was DB coach in Chicago for 1 year while Rivera was DC...

Rob Ryans father Buddy was DC when Rivera played for the Bears...

Greg Manusky preceded Rivera as LB coach in SD

I wonder, if he gets hired, was it predetermined this way on purpose or just by fate?

that's unique info on Fewell. Externally he looks like a very boring candidate.

I really don't understand why everybody is so dead set against Rob Ryan. It's not his fault that he would up in Oakland and Cleveland and never had the players that his brother did. Being a HC is not about where your offense or defense ranked in the past either. There have been some great coordinators that couldn't succeed as HC's and visa versa.

I really don't understand why everybody is so dead set against Rob Ryan. It's not his fault that he would up in Oakland and Cleveland and never had the players that his brother did. Being a HC is not about where your offense or defense ranked in the past either. There have been some great coordinators that couldn't succeed as HC's and visa versa.

There is no doubt that he is a great coach. He is just like his brother except his mouth isnt that big.His defense was pretty good in Oakland but word was when alot of stuff went down the team fell off overall.He never had a good defense in Cleveland they were always okay.

But what should make him a contender is how well the Browns played against the NFC South they beat the saints,they beat the panthers,the lose to the Buccs by two points and they lost to the falcons by 10 and they all were low scoring games except the Saints one because they beat the saints by twenty. Also there defense played great against the patriots when they beat them this season.

So Rob Ryan should be looked at.But most people have been saying between the Rob Ryan and Perry Fewell interview Perry was better.I dont know how true it is.? But that is the word. Its been alot of talk about Perry been the favorite.So IDK i like Ron Rivera as the best candiate.

Im sure all you guys saw this on the other thread, but Rivera is now the leading candidate to be our head coach next year and is having a 2nd interview today!

I'm really excited about this, but I love all the Candidates except Manusly!

Archived