• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Exhibit A of why you don't draft Newton in the 1st round

unicar15

Look at all the great running QB's (Steve Young, Cunningham, Elway, McNair, Vick, etc) and they're pretty much always fighting through injuries.

Once out of the pocket, they are fair game. Many times, in the pocket they still are. Reid has a legit bitch that the refs don't call the same for pocket passers that they do for running qb. The refs simply don't know how to.

Vick's done much better in the pocket, but his big injury came through scrambling.

A lot of their points and drives are set up by him scrambling too.

Most of the QBs that are as effective as Vick are very, very good. So it's hard to find a replacement who is a pure pocket passer. It's not like you can just pull a Vick replacement off the street who will keep your offense as effective.

He's open to more injuries but it's a fair trade and it's not easy to replace him with a pure pocket passer who also is just as effective.

It's pretty much accepted fact that a running QB will get injured more and they also protect pocket passers more, but I don't see any reason to not choose Vick unless you can find a guy who is just as effective which isn't all that easy to do.

Now I will spring open the second phase of the argument...

The other problem with running qb's (being more oft injured) is, if you properly center the offense around them, you must find a decent running qb willing to sit on the bench to back them up, which is extremely hard.

The other problem with running qb's (being more oft injured) is, if you properly center the offense around them, you must find a decent running qb willing to sit on the bench to back them up, which is extremely hard.

i won't disagree with this.

Michael Vick is also 6', 215lbs and doesn't slide. The way his line played last night, it's a wonder he wan't killed.

Newton is listed at 6'6", 250lbs, I'd say he could take a few more hits.

um McNabb has weighed around 240 for most of his career and he's had more than his fair share of injuries

By "centering the offense" do you mean becoming dependent on their scrambling ability and/or conforming to their poor passing skills?

um McNabb has weighed around 240 for most of his career and he's had more than his fair share of injuries

like staying in the pocket has helped every qb. look at our own matt moore and jake tommy jone on that one. it really comes down to the individual for every mobile qb in the league that has gotten hurt, i can name you ten more pocket qb's that have went down simply because there are more of them. the running qb is still fairly new we haven't seen enuff of them to really put them all in the same boat.

And success.

I personally think Cam is a bigger risk than Luck easily, and I think he has the most to gain by staying in school and developing. He has a nice arm and all the tools you need, he just needs more seasoning.

I watched Tyrod Taylor go from a guy that would run way before he even thought to throw, into a legitimate passing threat that developed more and more as he stayed in school. Now I'm not saying he's the prospect Cam is, just saying he could learn a lot by giving it some more time, something I think a lot of guys should do...just not Luck.

I think Cam Newton could be what Vince Young should have been before he went to crazy town.

Archived