• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I Hate to Burst Your Bubble (Fairley)

Catalyst

But there's no way we draft Nick Fairley. Here are all the reasons why:

1. He has a reputation as a dirty player...

As well as an immature on. You all know as well as I do that when you're picking 1st overall it's not just a typical draft pick; Jerry's going to want someone who can represent the team in public and do public appearances and charity work and such and a guy with the reputation of Fairley just doesn't fit the bill.

2. He has conditioning issues...

This is a bigger deal than most realize. It means he's lazy - to add to that he has a reputation as a guy who takes plays off, which only confirms the fact. Sure, we can get the trainers to stay on his ass, but do you really think Hurney is going to use the 1st overall pick on a guy who has trouble staying in shape. Just look at Andre Smith in Cincy. He's about eaten himself out of the league and had the exact same reputation going into the draft in '09.

3. Glenn Dorsey...

The last non-Suh DT to have the hype that Fairley does was LSU's Glenn Dorsey in '08 and he's been a bust in KC. Sure, he's playing out of position as a 3-4 DE, but even when Herm Edwards was there running a 4-3 he wasn't playing well. He's a bust and is VERY similar to Fairley in SO many ways. In fact, Dorsey was probably a better overall prospect than Fairley in '08. History shows that taking a DT with a top-5 pick is VERY risky; perhaps the most risky pick you can make, even moreso than a QB.

4. We're 2-14 because of our offense...

Not our defense. This is key, especially due to the fact that there's a good chance free agency doesn't begin until AFTER the draft this year. Basically, we won't know who/if we can get to help the offense out until after we've made the pick. Depending on what the CBA says there would be very few options to improve the passing game available in FA and we simply can't go into 2011 with the same offensive roster in place as last year.

5. Steve Smith...

Isn't getting any younger. Even if he doesn't want to be traded, it's the right decision for the franchise for many reasons. First off, it's going to help Clausen's development. He never gelled with Smith for whatever reason; they just don't like each other or get along. Clausen can't focus on making his reads if he's worried about how Smith is going to blow up on the sidelines/in the huddle if he doesn't throw the ball his way enough. On top of this, Smith's contract expires in 2 years and we all know he won't be re-signed then regardless. So we can trade him now while he still has some value and draft his replacement or we can go defense and stick with Smith, which will stunt Clausen's development and put us in the position of desperately needing a true #1 WR in a year or two when we really need to be using those picks to trade up for a franchise QB.

6. A.J. Green...

Has been called the best WR prospect since Calvin Johnson. Nobody's calling Fairley the next anyone. Nobody's calling Bowers the next Peppers or Peterson the next Revis. Frankly, Fairley reminds me of Glenn Dorsey, as I mentioned already and - not to speak ill of the dead - but Bowers reminds me of another Clemson standout DE picked in the top-5 recently: Gaines Adams. The fact of the matter is Fairley jumped up draft boards during December while there weren't even any games being played. Then the Ducks forget to block him a few times in the championship and all of a sudden he goes from being a top-10 pick to 1st overall? He's no better now than he was 3 months ago, folks. Matter of fact, this was his first and only year that he produced at Auburn. Green's been tearing it up at UGA from DAY ONE.

-------

I'm sorry, but I just don't see Fairley being the pick. Even if I wanted him to be, he's not the kind of player that fits this organization very well. A.J. Green is and that matters with the 1st overall pick. This is the kind of pick the owner gets involved in. Not only is A.J. Green the best player available, but he's the best player in the eyes of ownership - an owner who has publically expressed his desire to open up the passing game and bring more excitement to the team.

A.J. Green is the pick. Whether you like it or not - and I know many of you don't - he WILL be our pick come April. There are just WAY too many question marks surrounding Fairley for us to risk using the top pick on him. Green has no questions; he's to the WR position what Andrew Luck was/is to the QB position. He's the only 'can't miss' player left on the board.

We have to take him. We will take him. Mark it down.

Hate to burst you bubble, but you don't have any more of a clue as to what this franchise and new staff will do in the draft than any other person on here....myself included.

A strong case can be made for any of the following:

Fairley

Green

Bowers

Petterson

Trade Down

At a minimum, it will make for interesting debate and a fun draft.

since 1997, 10 QB's, 2 DE's, and 2 OT's were taken with the #1 overall pick.

I know that AJ Green is a talent, but if there is one thing that JR does, it is stick with NFL trends. I agree that we don't need a DE, but i think we will end up with Bowers. He has been ranked the #1 player in his class since he was in high school and may not have the most upside, but is the safest bet of all the picks... IMO

We have just as good a chance as Newton being great as Fairley being dominate. Which position is more important QB or DT???????

Dominate, heh. And that's not true at all. I mean, with that logic, why don't we draft Andy Dalton #1 since all players have a chance to do something, so we clearly don't need Fairley. They all have an equal chance to succeed.

Oh wait, what's that? That's ridiculous logic? Oh.

I personally want A.J. Green, but I have no idea what the Panthers plan to do, and I have no idea who the Panthers might pretend to be interested to drum up some draft day trade. Please remember that players can't be traded until after the CBA's figured out.

...and I have no idea who the Panthers might pretend to be interested to drum up some draft day trade. Please remember that players can't be traded until after the CBA's figured out.

Completely agree... in past offseasons, free agents were scooped up prior to drafting and the draft was used to fill the remaining holes in the rosters. This offseason will be backwards in which you draft the best players available and use free agency afterwards to fill your needs. This is not to say you don't consider your needs while drafting, but it is not as important to fill all holes in the draft as it has been in previous years.

1. I think the dirty and lazy comments have been overblown the way any media/scout/fanboard/etc. do to find weaknesses in players leading up to the draft....especially for the top 3-5 players. Some hits have been "dirty", but to label the player's game as that of being a dirty player is a little stretch. Mean, fierce, persistent, hardcore would be more positive adjectives to use to describe his play. Some hits, yeah, I would say are bullshit and he will get fined in the NFL if he keeps it up. That is where Rivera, the DC and the DL coach step in to polish this passion and tone it down a hair. Every team needs someone like this in the trenches and creating havoc, so I look at it as a good thing.

2. As for the lazy part, I don't get this at all. I've seen message boards say it, but I don't see it. The National Championship was what, 3 weeks away from the last time the players took the field? He didn't gain weight, look lost, take plays off, or look out of conditioning. In fact, he was the one player that stood out the entire night on both sides of the ball and looked like he had just played a week ago. Totally dominated the game and created so much opportunity for the defense to make plays.

3. Glen Dorsey was lost in the 34 defense and just last year started making his move as being the player that the Chiefs drafted a few years ago. Yes he has underachieved but he has made huge strides in becoming a force on the interior.

4. Yes our offense is why we were 2-14, but AJ Green or Blaine Gabbert would not turn this team around. Gabbert is a 2-3 year project before he can start helping (much like Claussen) and Green is great, but I'd rather roll with Smitty, and two young promising wide receivers with a year of experience under their belt over adding Green to a cluttered receiving core. I wouldn't cry if Green is taken because he is wicked talented and a true #1 WR, but much like the QB position, I'd rather evaluate the WR's and QB's we have and see what they've got. Plus, our injury woes, coaching staff and lack of commitment from management is what led our offense to being so abysmal.

5. True Smitty is getting older and that is why I wouldn't be angry if we took AJ Green with this pick. However, at least we have WR's whereas we have no DT's. I know we can scoop up DT's in free agency, but you can do the same with WR's. There are also some solid #1 WR's not named Green in this draft, so we could always grab one of those guys.

6. I can't disagree with this comment. Green looks like the real deal.

But there's no way we draft Nick Fairley. Here are all the reasons why:

1. He has a reputation as a dirty player...

As well as an immature on. You all know as well as I do that when you're picking 1st overall it's not just a typical draft pick; Jerry's going to want someone who can represent the team in public and do public appearances and charity work and such and a guy with the reputation of Fairley just doesn't fit the bill.

2. He has conditioning issues...

This is a bigger deal than most realize. It means he's lazy - to add to that he has a reputation as a guy who takes plays off, which only confirms the fact. Sure, we can get the trainers to stay on his ass, but do you really think Hurney is going to use the 1st overall pick on a guy who has trouble staying in shape. Just look at Andre Smith in Cincy. He's about eaten himself out of the league and had the exact same reputation going into the draft in '09.

3. Glenn Dorsey...

The last non-Suh DT to have the hype that Fairley does was LSU's Glenn Dorsey in '08 and he's been a bust in KC. Sure, he's playing out of position as a 3-4 DE, but even when Herm Edwards was there running a 4-3 he wasn't playing well. He's a bust and is VERY similar to Fairley in SO many ways. In fact, Dorsey was probably a better overall prospect than Fairley in '08. History shows that taking a DT with a top-5 pick is VERY risky; perhaps the most risky pick you can make, even moreso than a QB.

4. We're 2-14 because of our offense...

Not our defense. This is key, especially due to the fact that there's a good chance free agency doesn't begin until AFTER the draft this year. Basically, we won't know who/if we can get to help the offense out until after we've made the pick. Depending on what the CBA says there would be very few options to improve the passing game available in FA and we simply can't go into 2011 with the same offensive roster in place as last year.

5. Steve Smith...

Isn't getting any younger. Even if he doesn't want to be traded, it's the right decision for the franchise for many reasons. First off, it's going to help Clausen's development. He never gelled with Smith for whatever reason; they just don't like each other or get along. Clausen can't focus on making his reads if he's worried about how Smith is going to blow up on the sidelines/in the huddle if he doesn't throw the ball his way enough. On top of this, Smith's contract expires in 2 years and we all know he won't be re-signed then regardless. So we can trade him now while he still has some value and draft his replacement or we can go defense and stick with Smith, which will stunt Clausen's development and put us in the position of desperately needing a true #1 WR in a year or two when we really need to be using those picks to trade up for a franchise QB.

6. A.J. Green...

Has been called the best WR prospect since Calvin Johnson. Nobody's calling Fairley the next anyone. Nobody's calling Bowers the next Peppers or Peterson the next Revis. Frankly, Fairley reminds me of Glenn Dorsey, as I mentioned already and - not to speak ill of the dead - but Bowers reminds me of another Clemson standout DE picked in the top-5 recently: Gaines Adams. The fact of the matter is Fairley jumped up draft boards during December while there weren't even any games being played. Then the Ducks forget to block him a few times in the championship and all of a sudden he goes from being a top-10 pick to 1st overall? He's no better now than he was 3 months ago, folks. Matter of fact, this was his first and only year that he produced at Auburn. Green's been tearing it up at UGA from DAY ONE.

-------

I'm sorry, but I just don't see Fairley being the pick. Even if I wanted him to be, he's not the kind of player that fits this organization very well. A.J. Green is and that matters with the 1st overall pick. This is the kind of pick the owner gets involved in. Not only is A.J. Green the best player available, but he's the best player in the eyes of ownership - an owner who has publically expressed his desire to open up the passing game and bring more excitement to the team.

A.J. Green is the pick. Whether you like it or not - and I know many of you don't - he WILL be our pick come April. There are just WAY too many question marks surrounding Fairley for us to risk using the top pick on him. Green has no questions; he's to the WR position what Andrew Luck was/is to the QB position. He's the only 'can't miss' player left on the board.

We have to take him. We will take him. Mark it down.

Amen to all of this. Why do people say "but we don't need a WR....". While that can be argued, it's the #1 overall pick, why in the f**king hell would you try and draft the position you need the most, that is just plain stupid.

At this point we aren't going to get 'fair' compensation but I am sure the option to load up on picks will be there which is what we ultimately need and should do. If not, AJ Green is too obvious. No one in the top five is expected to be the next ____, except Green. There have been around 5 DTs chosen #1 overall and only one kind of played out.

No position except a nice QB prospect could be viewed as going #1 overall, but it doesn't matter. Stop thinking every draft the same, things change, players/talent/teams availability changes every year. This year, in this draft and with this team, the smartest thing to do is trade down. Second smartest would be Green.

There is no reason to draft a player with the problems stated above, that wouldn't be top 5 for most teams when the FA will be full of DTs. A good WR is hard to come by especially for the Panthers and it could take a couple years to develop if Green makes an impact three years from now (two actual playing, given a lockout) Smitty will be close to 35.

how can somebody question a man work ethic after he played in a game at a high level after having a 3-4 week layoff. that makes no sense.against the number 1 offense in college football.

i get the risk factor in taking him number 1, but if he is the bpa than you have to.all these guys are risk.

My 12 cents.

Nick Fairley has potential as a SOLID disruptive DT. AJ Green has the potential to be a ELITE go to receiver. I think Barry Coefield would love to come play for Ron Rivera. We aim for him or Brandon Mebane and our DT problems will be a lot less pressing. There are also 2nd and 3rd round prospects i like. Marvin Austin, Mike Blanc, Jarvis Jenkins, Jerrelle Powe, Sione Fua, and Drake Nevis.

A 3rd or 4th round WR is not gonna fill the spot we need. With Smitty's impending contract issue we NEED to groom a replacement. Love Gettis and LaFell but they are NOT numero uno material.

Archived