• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I Hate to Burst Your Bubble (Fairley)

Catalyst

3. Glenn Dorsey...

The last non-Suh DT to have the hype that Fairley does was LSU's Glenn Dorsey in '08 and he's been a bust in KC. Sure, he's playing out of position as a 3-4 DE, but even when Herm Edwards was there running a 4-3 he wasn't playing well. He's a bust and is VERY similar to Fairley in SO many ways. In fact, Dorsey was probably a better overall prospect than Fairley in '08. History shows that taking a DT with a top-5 pick is VERY risky; perhaps the most risky pick you can make, even moreso than a QB.

5. Steve Smith...

Isn't getting any younger. Even if he doesn't want to be traded, it's the right decision for the franchise for many reasons. First off, it's going to help Clausen's development. He never gelled with Smith for whatever reason; they just don't like each other or get along. Clausen can't focus on making his reads if he's worried about how Smith is going to blow up on the sidelines/in the huddle if he doesn't throw the ball his way enough. On top of this, Smith's contract expires in 2 years and we all know he won't be re-signed then regardless. So we can trade him now while he still has some value and draft his replacement or we can go defense and stick with Smith, which will stunt Clausen's development and put us in the position of desperately needing a true #1 WR in a year or two when we really need to be using those picks to trade up for a franchise QB.

2 things I couldn't ignore, even though I agree with your overall assessment to draft Green.. (if we can't trade down)

Glen Dorsey was just a rookie playing with Edwards as coach in the 4-3.. "him not playing well" is what every rookie DT/DE will have tagged to them the 1st year, if not years 2-3 as well.. just sayin.

Which, BTW, THE SAME WILL APPLY TO FAIRLEY as well..

Also, I want to squash this thing people have fabricated that Clausen and Smitty don't get along. It's absolutely not true, if you have seen them on the sideline before games, Smitty is right there pumping Clausen up.. Trying to get the rookie to clear his head and get ready for the game..

THE SMITTY AND CLAUSEN HATE IS NOT TRUE....

now, I agree, we should get Green and sign McNabb or find a way to trade for Orton..

You people that are concerned about him being a dirty player are crazy. I want my DT to be dirty, I don't care if he has a personal foul penalty every now and then as long as it doesn't cost us games. We need a guy on our defensive front that the rest of the league hates.

Dorsey is like 6'1", how come he's drawing so many comparisons to Dorsey but everyone laughs when you bring up Suh. His size is a lot more comparable to Suh's, not Dorsey's.

You guys are honestly making me laugh with some of these replies, as a Panther fan can any of you honestly say we need Green worse? I know the offense blowed last year, but so did us getting pressure on the QB. I don't see why you guys are shying down the chance to take someone who would adress a huge need to take someone who - yes he is gonna be good, but so is Fairley - is just gonna fill up the depth chart with talent at one position.

How does drafting Green make any kind of logical sense when you there's a beast like Fairley you could take too?

KT was right about one thing...a lot of our fans would eschew talent and success for "good character," clean players who politely let the offensive lines push them around and say "Here is a lane good sir, I do hope you relish your touchdown. Good show."

Nick Fairley is going to be a Pro Bowl DT. If you don't want him here, you have some sort of aversion to winning.

I've talked to Coach Rocker, and Coach Chizik. Nick is not a lazy guy and he is certainly not out of shape. Some of you try to pass off your opinions as being valid by using other opinions on people you've never seen. Please at least try to respect yourselves by using facts, not biased ideas you got from other people on an uneducated message board.

Fairley scares me as a prospect. He just doesn't seem like a guy that is ready for the NFL. He's immature and has work ethic issues. DT is a MUCH riskier pick than a stud like A.J. Green.

I really do think Fairley is going to be a bust.

Find any reporting proving this. What you are going on is forum rumours started because of the dirty hits.

My 12 cents.

Nick Fairley has potential as a SOLID disruptive DT. AJ Green has the potential to be a ELITE go to receiver. I think Barry Coefield would love to come play for Ron Rivera. We aim for him or Brandon Mebane and our DT problems will be a lot less pressing. There are also 2nd and 3rd round prospects i like. Marvin Austin, Mike Blanc, Jarvis Jenkins, Jerrelle Powe, Sione Fua, and Drake Nevis.

A 3rd or 4th round WR is not gonna fill the spot we need. With Smitty's impending contract issue we NEED to groom a replacement. Love Gettis and LaFell but they are NOT numero uno material.

curious if this satisfies everyone need for DT?

Seriously, the work ethic issues = bullshit. I just re-watched the entire National Championship game this morning and all I did was fast forward to every snap when Auburn was on defense. Yes it is but one game, but all I did was focus on Fairley and removed everything else that goes along with watching a game of that magnitude. He was phenomenal! A few plays he did overplay on and got burned on a delay or a counter that was run to perfection. Though he didn't make the tackle, he caused that safety. He had 2 sacks and a forced fumble. He was in the Oregon backfield so much against a team that was averaging over 300 yards ON THE GROUND. A player that hasn't played a game snap in almost 40 days showed up in beast mode. A lazy player does not. Again, one game, but if you say he is lazy, please back it up with some evidence. It seems more to me that one of Kiper's minions or a couple of guys on message boards through out the "lazy" tag and it has stuck, without any true proof to back it up. If there is evidence to Fairley's laziness, please show it or point me in the direction that I can find it, and I will gladly eat crow on that.

Archived