• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My Evaluation of Gabbert

Ricky Spanish

he went downfield like 6 times against Illinois... that was as many times as Clausen went down field all season... how is that Clausen like...? He runs an offense that (At least at that point of the season) was moving the ball almost entirely with his arm. They bring coverage down closer to the line of scrimmage, then take shots deep. How many times against Illinois did he sit there looking at 8 in the box?? Never - it limits his options going deep and he still got there more than our quarterback did all season, blech. He's not afraid to throw it deep.

You are right about not stepping up into the pocket when he gets pressure from the sides. He needs to be better at this. When he gets pressure up front he usually breaks the pocket and rolls out. It leads to sacks, but he can also extend plays this way as you noted.

He's not worth the #1 anyway so he's only a chance if we somehow trade down.

Also, what is it that you define Clausen with?

For me, it's his terrible throwing motion, release point, and inability to get the ball deep. I don't really care that he checked it down a lot, but I do that he didn't ALSO go deep, especially in this offense that is geared so heavily around that.

edit: should say, Gabbert would probably be mid first round other years. This year he's high because of the class. He's still a first round talent but he's going to take some time to bring along.

he went downfield like 6 times against Illinois... that was as many times as Clausen went down field all season... how is that Clausen like...? He runs an offense that (At least at that point of the season) was moving the ball almost entirely with his arm. They bring coverage down closer to the line of scrimmage, then take shots deep. How many times against Illinois did he sit there looking at 8 in the box?? Never - it limits his options going deep and he still got there more than our quarterback did all season, blech. He's not afraid to throw it deep.

You are right about not stepping up into the pocket when he gets pressure from the sides. He needs to be better at this. When he gets pressure up front he usually breaks the pocket and rolls out. It leads to sacks, but he can also extend plays this way as you noted.

He's not worth the #1 anyway so he's only a chance if we somehow trade down.

Also, what is it that you define Clausen with?

For me, it's his terrible throwing motion, release point, and inability to get the ball deep. I don't really care that he checked it down a lot, but I do that he didn't ALSO go deep, especially in this offense that is geared so heavily around that.

edit: should say, Gabbert would probably be mid first round other years. This year he's high because of the class. He's still a first round talent but he's going to take some time to bring along.

he went downfield a few times but he wasn't all that accurate. he did complete a few down the field, but those were the ones where he stepped up in the pocket and delivered a hard sexy strike to the receiver. my concern with his team's offensive scheme is that it involves a lot of dinks and dunks to matriculate the ball down the field. it might pad your stats, but it doesn't show what throws you are capable of making, or if you can recognize when to actually throw the deep post/deep out/streak. Mizzou ran a few too many quick slants and WR screens for my liking. it's the same stuff clausen did at ND that made him look like a better QB prospect than he really was.

he went downfield a few times but he wasn't all that accurate. he did complete a few down the field, but those were the ones where he stepped up in the pocket and delivered a hard sexy strike to the receiver. my concern with his team's offensive scheme is that it involves a lot of dinks and dunks to matriculate the ball down the field. it might pad your stats, but it doesn't show what throws you are capable of making, or if you can recognize when to actually throw the deep post/deep out/streak. Mizzou ran a few too many quick slants and WR screens for my liking. it's the same stuff clausen did at ND that made him look like a better QB prospect than he really was.

Understandable. Like I said, he's not a high first. The reason I don't see him as the same as Clausen is because of mechanics, release point, throwing motion, arm strength. He CAN move around the pocket and make things happen, he just needs to be coached to do it. He uses his legs to extend plays in typical college fashion but he does it with his eyes down the field, which I like.

I think you are slightly understating the number of times he went deep. At least two misses were PI calls, where the receiver got thrown down. He has one of the better deep balls and I like his arm. But I understand your concern with his offense - it does inflate stats. That's one reason I don't look at stats much.

If the reports on his intangibles are true he'll work hard and have a shot at being a great QB some day, because he has the physical tools. But that someday won't be next year, which makes it unlikely we pick him IMO.

Understandable. Like I said, he's not a high first. The reason I don't see him as the same as Clausen is because of mechanics, release point, throwing motion, arm strength. He CAN move around the pocket and make things happen, he just needs to be coached to do it. He uses his legs to extend plays in typical college fashion but he does it with his eyes down the field, which I like.

I think you are slightly understating the number of times he went deep. At least two misses were PI calls, where the receiver got thrown down. He has one of the better deep balls and I like his arm. But I understand your concern with his offense - it does inflate stats. That's one reason I don't look at stats much.

If the reports on his intangibles are true he'll work hard and have a shot at being a great QB some day, because he has the physical tools. But that someday won't be next year, which makes it unlikely we pick him IMO.

i agree with you. his mechanics and all are better than clausen's but his style of play reminds me of clausen quite a bit i guess. i think he'll be better than clausen, but i'm just not sure how good he'll be.

The only QB we take as the first pick would be Cam Newton and that isnt happening. so how bout we talk about something more realistic?

because those positions aren't nearly as fun to talk about... and they already ARE being talked about. :P I already put in my 2 cents... trade down, go with BPA... but I don't see that as a possibility so as I've said elsewhere I kinda expect us to take Fairley.

Archived