• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft and FA predictions influenced by today's hirings

Brokenbad

I hope we don't reach for Gabbert. It'll be JaWalrus Russell all over again. (I don't mean laziness, being a fatass, etc) A guy with all the physical tools who is going to go #1 simply because there's no other QB that's within 15 picks although his other traits are suspect

That said, No to Fairly as well. Yes we have a DT need. Fairly looks beastly, but with the #1 overall, you need more than a gamechanger. You need consistency. It's drafting Mario Williams over 3rd down back Reggie Bush. I don't see Fairly as an everydown player in the NFL. I also see him as the next Vernon Gholston.

Rivera has said he looks forward to our current young WRs.. I don't see us drafting AJ Green just because of that.

DE is set.

That leaves Peterson. If we get him, I hope we trade down. Someone will bite on the Fairley Hype Train.

I do see us addressing QB in the draft.. In Round 3. It'll be an athletic QB that can run a bootleg and play action fake to perfection but undersized.

I hope we don't reach for Gabbert. It'll be JaWalrus Russell all over again. (I don't mean laziness, being a fatass, etc) A guy with all the tools who is going to go #1 simply because there's no other QB that's within 15 picks.

That said, No to Fairly as well. Yes we have a DT need. Fairly looks beastly, but with the #1 overall, you need more than a gamechanger. You need consistency. It's drafting Mario Williams over 3rd down back Reggie Bush. I don't see Fairly as an everydown player in the NFL. I also see him as the next Vernon Gholston.

Rivera has said he looks forward to our current young WRs.. I don't see us drafting AJ Green just because of that.

DE is set.

That leaves Peterson. If we get him, I hope we trade down. Someone will bite on the Fairley Hype Train.

I do see us addressing QB in the draft.. In Round 3. It'll be an athletic QB that can run a bootleg and play action fake to perfection but undersized.

I think Peterson makes more sense than Fairley... so I could see that..

I hope we don't reach for Gabbert. It'll be JaWalrus Russell all over again. (I don't mean laziness, being a fatass, etc) A guy with all the physical tools who is going to go #1 simply because there's no other QB that's within 15 picks although his other traits are suspect

DE is set.

honestly Russel had great, great scouting reports. He was taken #1 for his potential. ultimately he didn't tap it. if Gabbert goes at #1 and busts it will be for a totally different reason than Russel imo.

honestly if the CBA is done before the draft there's a good chance we pick up a decent CB in FA to pair with Gamble...

I'd rather not go with Asomugha like many people want. A change of system and environment might be detrimental to his play. Instead, bring in versatile talent that you can still mold. We need a young guy, Gamble isn't getting any younger either.

Russell had an insanely good line at LSU. He was given forever to throw and could display his arm strength most of the time. His ability to read and carve up defenses was average. Gabbert is about the same. He's got the physical tools, but how much of his stats are physical tools and how much is ability.

DE is set.

Saying that Fairley is not an every down DT is crazy.

Also, comparing him to Gholston shows how little you know about Gholston. He was a workout warrior in the combine, that did not have the performance on the field. He was drafted on potential alone. Fairely has been dominant the entire year in the SEC.

Whether you think Fairley is worthy of the #1 pick or should be our pick is debatable....but absolutely not for the ridiculous reasons that you posted.

honestly Russel had great, great scouting reports. He was taken #1 for his potential. ultimately he didn't tap it. if Gabbert goes at #1 and busts it will be for a totally different reason than Russel imo.

honestly if the CBA is done before the draft there's a good chance we pick up a decent CB in FA to pair with Gamble...

would make more sense to get a CB in the draft and go FA for a DT..

Russell had an insanely good line at LSU. He was given forever to throw and could display his arm strength most of the time. His ability to read and carve up defenses was average. Gabbert is about the same. He's got the physical tools, but how much of his stats are physical tools and how much is ability.

Gabbert didn't have that great of a line this year. He took 23 sacks (Same number as Cam Newton). For comparison, Luck took all of 6, Mallett took 25 (statue), Locker took 19. Russel took 16 his last year of college, Clausen 24.

Aggressive defences are only as good as the guys covering the wide receivers...

that is true.

at the same time....a good pass rush is an average CBs best friend. Makes him look above average. SD has an absurd stat this year in regards to the huge number of different guys that registered sacks.

Saying that Fairley is not an every down DT is crazy.

Also, comparing him to Gholston shows how little you know about Gholston. He was a workout warrior in the combine, that did not have the performance on the field. He was drafted on potential alone. Fairely has been dominant the entire year in the SEC.

Whether you think Fairley is worthy of the #1 pick or should be our pick is debatable....but absolutely not for the ridiculous reasons that you posted.

I'm comparing him to Gholston in that it took 1 productive year for him to shoot up the charts. They're comparable in that they've used their athleticism to get penetration but they can be exploited in similar ways. Gholston was a sack machine, but he would get taken out of plays constantly. Same thing with Fairley.

The dude has 12 sacks as a DT.. you just don't see that in the NFL. It just seems too easy..

Archived