• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Five reasons we don't take Green #1

unicar15

CB in FA doesn't seem all too possible, just like WR...

Jonathan Joseph is the only one I would bring in, and he's a RFA (IIRC)..

Aso, going to cost a poo ton, if he even wants to come here..

Cromartie, he's an upgrade over Marshall, but I think our money can be spent elsewhere..

if we picked one up in the 3rd, that's an option.. about the only one I see possible other than taking Peterson.. which means we have to hope some DT's fall into the 4th, and if so, why was that?

FA in DT seems the most feasible of all positions via FA..

WR, you have guys like Holmes, BEdwards, VJax, M Floyd, etc.. but their respective teams will either go hard for them, or their character could be a major concern..

if we found a way to bring in Holmes, that would be nice, but I feel better with Green, draft a CB in the 3rd, bring in 2 DTs via FA.. (one being Cofield, poo, go hard for Mebane, lol.. chances are we can get a top tier DT in Cofield and a lower tier DT like Aubrayo Franklin..)

Can you just sign my name at the bottom of this post...I have duplicated this mostly in 85 threads. From the money DT is the way to go ..Mebane..and if Insane money and splash would happen.. Ngata(of course this isnt madden)..so Cofield is great...that would equal great success..hell even Everett Brown would be good with that push up he middle.

Not the guess on Glenn Dorsey jr- Fairley..

Agreed. If we can find a TE who is as important to our offense as Gates is to San Diego (which Chud should be able to do), then the need for another receiver is solved but not by a WR. I would like us to take a proven vet TE in free agency and develop the guys we have. No doubt Green has great potential and may end up being the best guy in the draft, but he isn't at a great position of need. Frankly BPA is fine as long as you are solid at most positions. Unfortunately, we have some gaping holes at several positions. WR is very deep this year so as you say, we can find a stud down the road. I just don't think it is high on the Panther's list as some other positions this year.

That in no way is a negative to Green at all. Green is the right guy but not at the right time.

man we are 2-14, no matter how we draft we still gonna need a good 2012 draft, no way all the needs will be filled in this off-season so may as well take the best player available with aj green or patrick peterson

man we are 2-14, no matter how we draft we still gonna need a good 2012 draft, no way all the needs will be filled in this off-season so may as well take the best player available with aj green or patrick peterson

yees...don't blow it on a QB you kind like....or a DT who will be suspended by week 9.

#6 and the most important, NO WR EVER has been or will be worth #1 overall. That is not how you build successful teams. QB, OL, DL is where it all starts and we have a glaring need at both DT positions and QB so...

lol never say never

i find it funny how you spoke on bulding successful teams, we drafted a 2 qbs and we still suck

if we pick fairley we will still suck

:thumbsup:

The only way I want to draft a QB (or sign one by any method) is if it's AJ Green. The other 5 may turn out well and all but as people have said, throwing 100 receivers at Jimmah ain't the answer. Getting Green is a move for the future for a potential future All-Pro, not just another "might be ok" or "potential to be pretty good". Get the best or get a different position.

I am going to have to disagree and point out that AJ Green and Julio Jones are the only top tier WR's. I think that their is a much larger gap in parity with the WR's than there is with the DT's or QB's.

I do agree we should try to trade pick (if possible, but highly unlikely)

what most people arent noticing is aj green is projected to be top 5 bound, the next receiver after him is projected to be from #12-20

only two receivers are projected to go into the first round (espn mock)

there's like 6-7 DT's going in the first

much more depth at DT than WR

and i see nobody at DT that will have the impact of a ndamakong suh anyways

No telling how much time Smitty has left, he may want to be traded, injury (as he has been injured more than once in the past few years), or just plain age (also goes with high probability of injuries). Green at best could be Smith's replacement (down the road), and learning form Smith. At worst, no better than Lafell or Gettis (with much more upside in time, if he is a "project").

Gettis has shown some potential, granted. However, Green has much more upside IMO.

Lafell, give me break, I don't see where he has shown THAT MUCH (where Green should not be seriously considered).

In any event, if we are stacked at WR and thay are worth anything, trades can and do happen in the in/off seasons.

My hope, is a vet QB brought in, draft Green and a TE, everything else can be addressed through free agency and draft. I trust our new HC (not so much wal-Marty)

Frankly, I don't see why we would draft another QB (since we just did Clausen and Pike). I'm thinking Rivera would prefer for a young QB to sit and watch, to start with. So, drafting another would be a stretch, I would think. I see a veteran QB in our future. Even if it's a stop gap, until our currents ones are sorted, better vets come available, or we end up with the #1 pick (either by losing or.....trading up....hmmm) next year. The defense was not that bad, considering how much time they spent on the field each game.

Offense was LAST in the league last year, it SHOULD be a top priority this year. A J Green is the best available offensive player with TONS of upside.

Hurney will do just that if he thinks that Green or Peterson are the best ways to improve the team. But it will have to be at a position of need. It is possible that he sees those guys as too good to pass up. And if Smith wants out or Rivera wants a guy like Peterson to shore up the secondary they might go in that direction. Still I have some doubts at this point.

As for a good 2012 draft, of course we need a good draft just like we do every year particularly if we are going to primarily build through the draft. But that hardly justifies not picking up the best player at a position of need to try and improve this year instead of looking down the road and ignoring immediate needs. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

AE getting drafted that high would most likely land in the top 5 if the NFLN did a Top 10: biggest reach in the nfl draft.

since that occurred, intelligent people will give Edwards the time he realistically needs to adapt to the NFL and see where the chips fall in 2-3 years more years.. fools will continue to be the over-dramatic, fly off the handle, highly irritating to listen to personalities..

so if you are implying we should take a QB #1 overall and it turns out there are NO QB's worth taking #1 overall and take 2-3 years just to turn out to be average at best, do you think you're example helps your case or hurts it?

are you asking me to tell you that reaching for a QB at #1 isn't going to get the same results?

are you telling me that any of these QBs are guaranteed to be the next Aaron Rodgers or Ben Rothlisberger?

as hard as it is to find a QB, and to HOPE that one of them is a home run that we ****** up at #1, then I'll say pass and let's build a team so that when we do find a QB, we are set..

if you're OPINION is that Newton or Gabbert will be that guy, then I respect where you are coming from, because if they are, I want them. But neither you nor I know that and if our scouting department and coaches feel different than you, I am laying out a path I hope they go because I am laying out a path that fills our holes with the most impact players and reasonably doing so in a very realistic way..

Actually, just look at my sig. I'm advocating trading out of the #1 and getting about 3 more picks in return...

Archived