• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Screw Cam Newton

chknwing

2 whole games? really? not sure you saw my point other than you want to be a smart ass.

how did i miss your point? you said that The Golden Calf of Bristol and mccoy had teams that supported and developed them. i dont know how more plain you could have made your point! that statement tells me you dont feel that clausen got ANY help whatsoever. you missed MY point1

i said joe webb because it really is embarrassing when a 6th round rookie who was drafted to be a wr and a emergency third qb can come in and have a good game on a national stage against a tough team and our 2nd round "most pro-ready QB, surefire top 5 pick" barely beat the Cardinals. Thats all!:D

Sure, if they feel he is by far the best QB they should take him #1 but I don't think that will be the case. I don't think many people will disagree, scouts/owners/coaches/fans/anyone, that Cam has the most potential out of this year's QB class. That's pretty much a foregone conclusion now. But you don't take someone #1 because they have the potential, you take someone #1 because you see more than just potential, you see the closest thing to a sure thing available. So, in my opinion, you mitigate some of the risk by picking up an extra pick or two JUST IN CASE he busts, the pick won't have been a complete waste of a #1 overall (we woulda gotten an extra pick out of it).

If the Panthers agree that Cam is the by far the best QB, one with most potential and can be the guy..... then they should take him #1. You dont trade down to 5 or something and risk not getting him. Escpecially when this team needs a QB. If he is good enough to pick at #5, then then the Panthers need to take him #1 and not mess around.

In what Newton says and the fact that he is in shape, I do not see him as 'Jemarcus Russell the second'.

It is true tape does not lie.

Accuracy is key in the NFL. I believe I saw on Playbook one evening where there is basically a 6" to 10" square that NFL QBs have to hit in the passing game due to the speed of the NFL defenders. I guess that will be the big question. Can he read, react, and with accuracy hit the 1st, 2nd, 3rd read of the defense and get the throw into that small space.

I am not hot on anyone, I just look at it objectively. The key position on the field is the QB. The Panthers have passed on 3 QBs over the past 12 years that could have made a huge difference to them and here we are.

Bowers and Farley would most likely be instant stars; but, finding a QB in rounds 2 forward is pretty hard to do.

As for Clausen, and I liked him in college, and I think he didn't get a lot of help anywhere here, he can't grow 5-6", he can't develop arm strength he doesn't have, and he can't be a runner he isn't. At best, he is a game manager if he has a strong cast around him in the NFL. Newton, is the better athelete, and that is god-given and can't be taught.

I'm of the opinion, take a chance, Columbus did, if the tape shows promise and this young man starts showing maturity in interviews and understands what a priviledge it is to be the 'face of the franchise'.

Screw Clausen. He came from an NFL offense. Target 2 receivers, if covered, take a sack, throw it out of bounds, check it down or run. Threw to his TE quite a few times. Did Clausen run a spread? He was the most NFL ready prospect!! He was supposed to go top 5!!We saw how that worked out::::

Clausen is a bust, all that praise he got coming out, and look what he did. NFL Ready my donkey.

it's funny to know that people think newton would be any less able to learn how to read defenses than any other QB coming out of college.

pretty funny that people would be content passing on a talent like that because we have tony pike here who can compete.

unreasonable hate and a closed mind will do that to a person, though.

How any scout, or fan, thinks they can get a feel on a player based on system alone, is beyond any normal thinking and understanding.

Sure, it has a small part...but I'll take work ethic, willingness to learn, desire to be the best, and regular ol' football IQ into more consideration.

That being said...I'm not sold on cam. Of course ill also admit to not seeing enough of him to even have an opinion on him. Just think the OP was misguided in his quest.

The difference between McCoy, The Golden Calf of Bristol and Clausen is McCoy and The Golden Calf of Bristol WON GAMES, and I'm talking about college. McCoy was the NCAA Division I's All-time winningest quarterback and The Golden Calf of Bristol was a 2 time BCS champ. Plus The Golden Calf of Bristol might be the hardest working SOB ever to buckle a chinstrap with the biggest heart. Clausen is none of these things.

Archived