• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Screw Cam Newton

chknwing

The guy is not an NFL qb. he had the simplest offense. Target 1 receiver, if covered, take off and run. Thats not gonna work in the NFL. Carolinas new offensive scheme is to use the TE alot, did cam Newton even throw to his TE's? He is a project and has to be taught what it is to be an NFL qb in a pro style offense. I think he shouldn't be a first round pick at all.

Yea, just because he didn't have to go through his progressions much at Auburn doesn't mean he is incapable of it. Just because he didn't throw to his TE much at Auburn doesn't mean he has a grudge against the position and will refuse to throw there in the pros. I think the kid has by far the most potential of any QB in the class for either greatness OR bust, but I wouldn't mind the Panthers picking him if they can trade down 5 or 10 spots. Not with #1 though, I'd rather more of a sure thing with #1. I wouldn't feel so bad about passing on AJ Green if we can pick up a #1 next year or at least a 2nd this year for moving down to take Newton. Still prefer Green, whether it's #1 or wherever.

Screw Clausen. He came from an NFL offense. Target 2 receivers, if covered, take a sack, throw it out of bounds, check it down or run. Threw to his TE quite a few times. Did Clausen run a spread? He was the most NFL ready prospect!! He was supposed to go top 5!!

We saw how that worked out :rolleyes:.

Sam Bradford, The Golden Calf of Bristol, & Colt McCoy were ALL spread option QB's in college and all had better rookie years than Clausen. I'm beginning to feel like this spread offense stuff isn't as big a deal as many make it out to be.

It's all about the player in question and whether they have the ability to adjust to the NFL game. I believe Newton does; he's not Vince Young (an idiot) or JaMarcus Russell (an idiot AND lazy). He's got a good head on his shoulders; he just needs a little time to adjust.

Bring on the MONSTER!

Sam Bradford, The Golden Calf of Bristol, & Colt McCoy were ALL spread option QB's in college and all had better rookie years than Clausen. I'm beginning to feel like this spread offense stuff isn't as big a deal as many make it out to be.

It's all about the player in question and whether they have the ability to adjust to the NFL game. I believe Newton does; he's not Vince Young (an idiot) or JaMarcus Russell (an idiot AND lazy). He's got a good head on his shoulders; he just needs a little time to adjust.

Bring on the MONSTER!

It's so sad that this is true. I saw it coming out of Bradford since he really was a great passer and knew what to do with the ball. But, for McCoy and The Golden Calf of Bristol to have better stats than Clausen with less games started to boot. That is just bad.

Negatives: Must improve his footwork. His height makes him take long strides in his drop. Fails to step into his throws or square his shoulders at times, relies on his arm strength too often. Inconsistent accuracy from the pocket and throwing on the run. Needs to anticipate downfield throws better, sometimes getting the ball to his receiver a second early or late. Prone to turnovers, makes poor decisions trying to make plays that aren't there. Does not feel backside pressure. Lacks touch on shorter throws. Ball comes out of his hands poorly at times, negating his arm strength. Sometimes pats the ball before the throws. Loose with the ball in the pocket and as a runner. Doesn't move the pile as you'd expect in short-yardage situations, but his height allows him to be effective.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/josh-freeman?id=79557#profiles-tabs:players-analysis

Just saying...if you told me I could get a Josh Freeman type QB with the #1 pick vs. any defensive lineman, I'd pull the trigger. Do I understand that we have a woeful Dline, yes, I do, but, we also have a very very woeful QB situation and while we might make the playoffs without a blue chip Dlineman, odds are very low we will make it without a blue chip QB; at least he is a risk with both his feet and his arm.

Isn't the San Diego offense based on timing and simplified routes where the OC on the sideline tells the QB his first, second, reads etc and where to the throw the ball every play so that its easy on the QB? I've heard Cam was fed his reads from the sideline in the same way at Auburn except out the gun. So should it really be so hard for him to adapt?

About his running too btw tell me he can't do that when Freeman was carving us up on the ground this year converting 3rd and longs over and over with his feet in week 2. Our LB group is one of the most talented in the nfl, and Cam is a better runner then Josh. Making the D put spys on the QB either reduces the rush or opens the field. The guy doesn't sound like an idiot to me. He can figure out a good running situation in the nfl.

The expected win/win scenario Cam sits, Clausen puts up something resembling average rumbers and becomes trade bait himself in a few years.

Archived