• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Torry Holt will lead us to the promised land

Fiz

I say stick with Jarrett. Light is very likely to come on in his third year. He flashed signs last year.

IMO he never got a shot to show what he could do. I think he is a solid #3 and could be a number 2 this year or next.

When players don't get a shot to "show us fans what they can do", it is because the coaches think they don't deserve one. Its not like Jarrett's been up against stiff competition at WR3.

So, who is more right about Jarrett's actual ability, YOU or the Panthers coaching staff?

When players don't get a shot to "show us fans what they can do", it is because the coaches think they don't deserve one. Its not like Jarrett's been up against stiff competition at WR3.

So, who is more right about Jarrett's actual ability, YOU or the Panthers coaching staff?

Well the coaching staff just got rid of Hackett because they have faith in Jarret. Besides he is only in his third year and had two very good receivers ahead of him on the depth chart, that with the fact that we don't see many 3 receiver sets should tell you that he just hasn't got his chance. And when he was on the field and thrown to he made show good catches. So you want to put him behind another guy who may or may not be any better, thus prolonging the coaching staffs assessment of his potential. Not to mention, why use that salary cap space on a #3 receiver that isn't even going to be used more then 3 or 4 plays a game if that?

Seems to strike a nerve everytime so it appears to be doing its job

Nope...just trying to get you to make things more interesting.

Back to the thread topic...I wouldn't mind having Holt here at all. The problem is that he's not even on the market, as far as I know, and I wouldn't trade anything more than a 6th or 7th rounder for him even if he was.

I'm not saying that he's not worth more than that though. It's just that I don't believe in trading away valuable draft picks for aging players. I believe that, in today's NFL, you win championships by building through the draft, and using the FA period to fill in the gaps.

Normally I try not to let my heart get in the way of decisions I think are good for the team. Normally I don't go gaga over wide receivers. Normally I don't think we should EVER under any circumstances use draft picks on things that aren't attempts at long term solutions.

but god damn I want Tory Holt to retire in North Carolina.

I'm still haunted by how he would single handedly destroy the Tarheels

Your normal heart stance is correct. If we were two pieces from the SB and a backup WR and OT were it, I'd say yes. But we're far from that. If we don't fix the D, we'll be struggling to get a wildcard.

Well the coaching staff just got rid of Hackett because they have faith in Jarret.

I'm inclined to think that Hackett was hired to plug a hole at WR3 for a reasonable annual cost. For mostly physical reasons, Hackett failed to plug the hole, and so he was cut to make opportunity for someone who can. One not need name Hackett's replacement to admit that one of several might be comparable.

Rookies are generally expected to develop for a full year before playing, but first day picks are also expected to make cameo appearances in their first year. First day picks will be put into situations in which success is likely, because the coaches are trying to build confidence, not replace starters in that year. When rookies are given chances, they should be REALLY GOOD chances. Carolina works this method religiously, and we did this for Jarrett.

Even in his rookie year, Jarrett was physically much more capable than Hackett, and yet in his second year he was still somehow inadequate to plug the hole which Hackett, a journeyman with a long medical history, was signed to fill.

If I'm hearing people correctly, I am supposed to believe that between last year and this year, Jarrett's playmaking will earn him a starting spot. Be specific now, what changed about Dwayne Jarrett in 2008, that our coaches can count on this year? What is his specialty? Name one play that we can count on him to make most of the time.

I'm inclined to think that Hackett was hired to plug a hole at WR3 for a reasonable annual cost. For mostly physical reasons, Hackett failed to plug the hole, and so he was cut to make opportunity for someone who can. One not need name Hackett's replacement to admit that one of several might be comparable.

Rookies are generally expected to develop for a full year before playing, but first day picks are also expected to make cameo appearances in their first year. First day picks will be put into situations in which success is likely, because the coaches are trying to build confidence, not replace starters in that year. When rookies are given chances, they should be REALLY GOOD chances. Carolina works this method religiously, and we did this for Jarrett.

Even in his rookie year, Jarrett was physically much more capable than Hackett, and yet in his second year he was still somehow inadequate to plug the hole which Hackett, a journeyman with a long medical history, was signed to fill.

If I'm hearing people correctly, I am supposed to believe that between last year and this year, Jarrett's playmaking will earn him a starting spot. Be specific now, what changed about Dwayne Jarrett in 2008, that our coaches can count on this year? What is his specialty? Name one play that we can count on him to make most of the time.

Nobody's saying he should be starting. This thread was about signing Torry Holt, and since we have a #1 (smith) and #2 (moose) receiver he would be the #3. And since Jarrett is our #3 he would be taking his spot when I have not seen enough out of Holt to think he will contribute more then Jarrett as the #3 (especially in our offense). Since he probably has as much left in the tank as Moose you would essentially be blocking Jarrett's only chance at seeing decent playing time. And besides I saw Jarrett make some great 3rd down catches for us this year and I want to see what he can do with a larger role in this offense before you go finding his replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived