• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton to have "private meeting" with J.R.

Catalyst

He won't play as a rookie; he will play. And to answer your question: because Cam Newton has the potential to be insanely good.

But so did Jamarcus Russell and all of the other qb's that were drafted and were busts. If we do select Cam I have faith in Hurney that he made the right choice and I will be all for it because Hurney is one of the best at drafting in the first round. I just don't see it happening. If it did it won't really make a difference because if Clausen fails Cam will still be on the bench and we wont be that much better than last season. which means a top 10 pick? why not draft Green or Peterson this year where we at least no they can come in and make an impact right away and draft a qb next year if clausen doesn't work out?

It's an option. I just look at it this way: we're not sure what our record is going to be next year. Could be top-5, top-10 or we might go 7-9 or 8-8 and be picking in the middle of the 1st round, well out of reach of any of the top QB prospects.

In that case, we'd have to give up a ton to move up and take our QB. Probably two 1st rounders, a 2nd, and maybe even a 3rd to move into the top-5 for a QB like USC's Matt Barkley, who isn't exactly an Andrew Luck-level prospect himself. He's Mark Sanchez essentially.

But so did Jamarcus Russell and all of the other qb's that were drafted and were busts. If we do select Cam I have faith in Hurney that he made the right choice and I will be all for it because Hurney is one of the best at drafting in the first round. I just don't see it happening. If it did it won't really make a difference because if Clausen fails Cam will still be on the bench and we wont be that much better than last season. which means a top 10 pick? why not draft Green or Peterson this year where we at least no they can come in and make an impact right away and draft a qb next year if clausen doesn't work out?

ok, the part that I agree with is on Marty Hurney, Marty has a proven enough track record with first round pics that any he makes should not be questioned, as for Marty and the second round though that's fair game, but not much to worry about this year because we don't have one.

It's an option. I just look at it this way: we're not sure what our record is going to be next year. Could be top-5, top-10 or we might go 7-9 or 8-8 and be picking in the middle of the 1st round, well out of reach of any of the top QB prospects.

In that case, we'd have to give up a ton to move up and take our QB. Probably two 1st rounders, a 2nd, and maybe even a 3rd to move into the top-5 for a QB like USC's Matt Barkley, who isn't exactly an Andrew Luck-level prospect himself. He's Mark Sanchez essentially.

And I agree with that we may end up middle of the road but if Clausen doesn't work out I could see us maybe getting 4 or 5 wins with the schedule we have MAYBE. I don't think we will be able to make it to 8-8 or even 7-9 for that matter without a qb. I would be all for Cam if he wasn't going to have to sit and wait. It just seems like if a guy is the #1 overall pick he should be the most NFL ready player. Cam is not he could be great down the road from now sure...but I'd rather start winning sooner rather than later. I would have a completely different opinion if Cam could come in start from day 1 if he impresses in TC

If I'm Cam Newton..............I tell Richardson.......thanks.........but no thanks.

Rookie salaries are going to be reduced based on the new CBA, therefore the prestige of being the #1 pick would not be enough for me to accept a rookie QB job in Carolina. Carolina hasn't developed 1 rookie QB in 14 years and after watching what happened to Clausen, Newton should really think twice about pushing for the #1 pick.

Based on the new rookie salaries, the #1 pick has lost alot of it's significance. If I were Cam I would be doing the interviewing at this point...it's his career at stake and we all know what happens when a rookie QB enters a bad QB situation.....

Hurney picks players for athleticism amd potential. Look at Thomas Davis? Why pick a safety that we were try to conver to linebacker? Because he had great cover skills, was very fast and very athletic. Did he play right away? No. Was he a bust?? Still deciding that one. Would we draft Newton if we thought his athletic talent was high and he would be the face of the franchise? We drafted Edwards and gave up a second rounder for him.

Hurney actually has a long term sense of the draft and doesn't draft for immediate impact. Don't know what he will do but if JR likes him I could see us pulling the trigger.

Every player might bust...with low risk brings lower reward..If you are afraid to draft someone because they might bust you won't be drafting anyone at all. For someone like Cam it's going to be how he's coached and utilized that decides if he's a bust or not. Everything I've read is that he's going to try his hardest to be a great NFL player and he has the tools to do it.

People might have to face the fact that once players meet with Richardson,Theirs a good chance we will draft them. Just like interviews with coaches, if you dont meet Richardson you didn't get the Job.

Or could just be he is meeting with top picks but everyone else is blowing things out of proportion.

Archived