• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton to have "private meeting" with J.R.

Catalyst

During his visit...

Makes sense and isn't really a surprise, but I think it tells us that we are indeed serious about this guy as an option with the pick.

Cam Newton from Auburn, who’ll be coming to Charlotte for a visit prior to the NFL draft for a private meeting with owner Jerry Richardson, according to a source close to the situation

http://www.carolinagrowl.com

MAKES SENSE. this is what i heard.

, QB, Auburn

While Ryan Mallett destroyed his draft stock Saturday, Cam Newton increased his chances of becoming the top pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.

The consensus was that Newton was very likable in the press conference. When asked to explain his "icon" and "entertainer" comments, Newton said the quote was misunderstood and taken out of context. He also explained the stolen laptop at Florida. Whereas Mallett barked at reporters for asking tough questions, Newton addressed everything, calmly and confidently.

Mike Klis of the Denver Post called Newton "respectful, intelligent and engaging." Klis added, "[Newton] is no JaMarcus Russell or Vince Young, another athletic quarterback who was a poor interview."

http://walterfootball.com/combine2011stock3.php

Mike Klis of the Denver Post called Newton "respectful, intelligent and engaging." Klis added, "[Newton] is no JaMarcus Russell or Vince Young, another athletic quarterback who was a poor interview."

FINALLY, someone in the media says what I've been trying to convince the haters of for weeks now. The VY/Russell comparisons are all about race. There's just no other explanation for it because anyone who looks deeper with an objective eye has to realize Newton is not the same numbskull that both those guys are.

I still don't buy the stuff with Mallet. He really didn't do much -.-

A private meeting with the owner eh? Is this part of the regular procedure? I would think that he would have to get passed Rivera and Hurney first. I guess if he's already here...

Mallet came off like a tool everytime he opened his mouth. He just seems very immature and can't handle the media pressure.

I wouldn't touch that guy before the 5th round.

Yes, my God Mallett seems like such a prick. First off, he was asked about the rumors that he has done cocaine and basically said "no comment" - of course that was after he (in a very smart-ass way) "first question, huh?" when it was indeed the first question he was asked.

Now, call me crazy, but if someone falsly accused me of doing coke and I had as much to lose as Mallett, I'd be JUMPING at the chance to set the record straight and say without any doubt that no, I did not. Instead, Mallett said it was "between him and the teams I interview with." Sounds like guilt to me.

Not only that, but for all the Jamarcus Russell comparisons Newton has gotten, that's EXACTLY who Mallett reminded me of today. I want anyone who thinks Cam is going to be that guy to go watch Mallett's interview and see what a real Jamarcus Russell in the making looks like. It was like watching 'top 10 draft bust" on NFL Network when they get to the end and start showing draft day clips of Ryan Leaf.

Absolutely pathetic. I wouldn't sign Mallett as an undrafted FA. I'd be SHOCKED if any team outside of Oakland or Cincy drafts him before the 4th round is done.

Yes, my God Mallett seems like such a prick. First off, he was asked about the rumors that he has done cocaine and basically said "no comment" - of course that was after he (in a very smart-ass way) "first question, huh?" when it was indeed the first question he was asked.

Now, call me crazy, but if someone falsly accused me of doing coke and I had as much to lose as Mallett, I'd be JUMPING at the chance to set the record straight and say without any doubt that no, I did not. Instead, Mallett said it was "between him and the teams I interview with." Sounds like guilt to me.

Not only that, but for all the Jamarcus Russell comparisons Newton has gotten, that's EXACTLY who Mallett reminded me of today. I want anyone who thinks Cam is going to be that guy to go watch Mallett's interview and see what a real Jamarcus Russell in the making looks like. It was like watching 'top 10 draft bust" on NFL Network when they get to the end and start showing draft day clips of Ryan Leaf.

Absolutely pathetic. I wouldn't sign Mallett as an undrafted FA. I'd be SHOCKED if any team outside of Oakland or Cincy drafts him before the 4th round is done.

Yeah Mallet's presser was painful to watch...

I still don't buy the stuff with Mallet. He really didn't do much -.-

A private meeting with the owner eh? Is this part of the regular procedure? I would think that he would have to get passed Rivera and Hurney first. I guess if he's already here...

I would imagine it would be for potential 1st overall picks, yeah. Usually we probably don't send our potential picks to J.R. but considering that he knows this pick will likely become a cornerstone player - or face of the franchise if it's a QB - I can't imagine J.R. not wanting a sit-down with the guy.

But yeah, I think if nothing else this proves we ARE legitimately interested in Cam Newton. Not that I don't think they'd leak it to get teams to make them an offer, but let's be real here, folks: we're NOT trading this pick. Not only will a new CBA likely not be done by draft day, but even IF it is and does include a rookie wage scale, all reports indicate such a scale wouldn't apply this year.

We WILL pick 1st overall. I'm absolutely 100% sure of that and anyone who is still riding the "trade down" train should probably come back to reality and accept the fact that it's probably not happening.

The only question left is whether it'll be Cam Newton, Marcell Dareus, or Blaine Gabbert because I honestly believe those are the only 3 guys in serious consideration, especially after the way Fairley's combine has gone. And for the record, I don't think Gabbert will be on that list long once the evaluation kicks-in. Hurney's a tape guy more than a workout guy and Gabbert's tape from last season is average at best.

So let's wait and see if we hear about Marcell Dareus getting a one-on-one with J.R.

I would imagine it would be for potential 1st overall picks, yeah. Usually we probably don't send our potential picks to J.R. but considering that he knows this pick will likely become a cornerstone player - or face of the franchise if it's a QB - I can't imagine J.R. not wanting a sit-down with the guy.

But yeah, I think if nothing else this proves we ARE legitimately interested in Cam Newton. Not that I don't think they'd leak it to get teams to make them an offer, but let's be real here, folks: we're NOT trading this pick. Not only will a new CBA likely not be done by draft day, but even IF it is and does include a rookie wage scale, all reports indicate such a scale wouldn't apply this year.

We WILL pick 1st overall. I'm absolutely 100% sure of that and anyone who is still riding the "trade down" train should probably come back to reality and accept the fact that it's probably not happening.

The only question left is whether it'll be Cam Newton, Marcell Dareus, or Blaine Gabbert because I honestly believe those are the only 3 guys in serious consideration, especially after the way Fairley's combine has gone. And for the record, I don't think Gabbert will be on that list long once the evaluation kicks-in. Hurney's a tape guy more than a workout guy and Gabbert's tape from last season is average at best.

So let's wait and see if we hear about Marcell Dareus getting a one-on-one with J.R.

I think Patrick Peterson is in the running as well, but point taken - it will be interesting to see who else JR has a private meeting with if anyone.

Archived