• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do we HAVE to take Newton?

Awesomeness!!

As an Alabama fan, I don't necessarily like Cam Newton to be honest. I don't think he is as evil as some on this board try to make believe. Hes probably a decent dude. I just don't think he is that awesome of a QB. He has talent, but so did half of this board at one time. Talent can only get you so far. I want to know about his work ethic to be honest. A shitty combine is irrelevant if hes willing to work to get better. I'm hoping he is. I think he'll be great if thats the case.

However, with that being said, look at our team. No, look at our franchise. We are nobodys in this league. We're right there with the Jags, and if we pass on Cam, we become the Bills (The Jags at least win every now and then). Jimmy Clausen is a bum. That can't be debated. He sucks. Take the L on him, and move on. Cam offers something that no player in this draft offers. Attention. Media attention can be good. We become a noticeable fanbase, FAs come here to play, we get more than one MNF game every 8 years etc. Vick wasn't that great of a QB (at first) but he turned Atlanta into the ATL. The Falcons finally mattered, and they won. We're at a crossroads.

We can either take the steps to become a team that matters, or continue becoming two steps ahead of the Jags. Drafting Cam Newton might be a must. He is the biggest boom or bust in any draft I can remember, but the positives far outweigh the negatives. If he is good, we're relevant. Charlotte becomes the CRT. Ok maybe not, but you get the point. If he sucks, after a year or two he realize he sucks, and we draft another QB. If we can, trade down, and pick him up. If not, draft him number 1. This franchise needs it.

We can either take the steps to become a team that matters, or continue becoming two steps ahead of the Jags. Drafting Cam Newton might be a must. He is the biggest boom or bust in any draft I can remember, but the positives far outweigh the negatives. If he is good, we're relevant. Charlotte becomes the CRT. Ok maybe not, but you get the point. If he sucks, after a year or two he realize he sucks, and we draft another QB. If we can, trade down, and pick him up. If not, draft him number 1. This franchise needs it.

You nailed it here. The rewards incredibly outweigh the risks with either Newton or Gabbert. We need someone who can elevate and redefine this franchise in the public eye. Yeah, it could be an awesome improvement if we go Peterson/Green, but if we end up selecting Newton/Gabbert we are risking either staying at our current level v. being elevated to a bigger spotlight with a new young gun. That's additionally why I don't understand the pull for a McNabb or Volek. What kind of life are they going to breathe into this franchise? Little to none, then be done with us in a year or two.

I continuously come back to the question: Why in the hell not?

Sorry, no :nonod:

The idea that the Panthers are doomed to perpetually suck if they don't draft Cam Newton is pretty silly.

(and that's being kind)

What would be worse is if we become perpetually average. Which could happen.

We are already the Bills. Sure, we may have had more recent success, but that doesn't change the fact we were the worst team in the NFL last season.

As for attention, who really cares what the media thinks of us? We will never be like Dallas or Pittsburgh. Remember when we finally got some attention last off-season with Jimmy being drafted? Look how fast that faded.

Honestly, we don't HAVE to do anything. Once again I find it a bad decision making model in general just to gamble with these cold odds. This is the draft, it's a recruitment process, so first and foremost you only draft him if you like him.

Sorry, no :nonod:

The idea that the Panthers are doomed to perpetually suck if they don't draft Cam Newton is pretty silly.

(and that's being kind)

That's not really the gist. Its about developing a young and exciting squad. Risking a QB at number one for a team with essentially no QB...hmm not much of a reach. Peterson/Green/Dareus could all be great, but why convince yourself we won't take a QB? If you are open to all of the possibilities you will probably be much less pissed come draft day.

We need a franchise QB and that's been the talk all offseason within this fanbase and the new coaching staff. You really think they don't want to hand select a young and exciting player rather going with some corpse that will do nothing for this franchise at a larger scale (Volek, McNabb, etc.)

I just don't get the 'No QB no matter what in the draft' perspective for a team in such dire straits.

Archived