• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Yas: By the numbers - Newton vs. Gabbert

blackcatgrowl

Why do they like him?

Measureables and intangibles. Skills that can translate to the next level. Work ethic. Attitude, leadership ability... He has tremendous potential. It's just a question of if he'll reach it.

I don't want him #1 but I think a lot of people are putting too much stock in his stats. That's fine, we all value different things.

Yeah, this isn't about how college stats don't translate into NFL success.

It's a comparison between the two respective QBs based on the merit of their play IN THE SAME LEVEL OF THE GAME

But thanks for playing.

uhm, nobody has said that Blaine Gabbert had better college numbers last year than Cam Newton.

Most people who have watched Cam's games have not complained that the majority of his good throws come from outside the pocket(for a prospect where they have, see Jake Locker), but that the throws he makes are very quick reads that do not show a great deal of progression. So while I understand that Yas may be trying to show Cam is a pocket passer, I think that stats alone do not make a proper comparison between two quarterbacks in trying to evaluate how much of a "pocket passer" they were.

Measureables and intangibles. Skills that can translate to the next level. Work ethic. Attitude, leadership ability... He has tremendous potential. It's just a question of if he'll reach it.

I don't want him #1 but I think a lot of people are putting too much stock in his stats. That's fine, we all value different things.

What's funny is some of these guys who value stats are the ones saying Clausen is awful, yet completely ignore that Clausens stats were phenomenal his last TWO seasons in college.

What's funny is some of these guys who value stats are the ones saying Clausen is awful, yet completely ignore that Clausens stats were phenomenal his last TWO seasons in college.

there's abig difference between Clausen's stats and Newton's, mainly the 16-0 and Championship.

uhm, nobody has said that Blaine Gabbert had better college numbers last year than Cam Newton.

blah blah blah blah

I'm not saying anyone said he had better numbers. I'm simply posting what Yas pointed out.

Now... if you want to take the body of work between two athletes, in the same level of play, and throw out all their COMPARABLE statistical accomplishments, throw out any sort of tangible success, then what do you have left to evaluate the two?

One can... oh... umm... one is a better "pocket passer"! That's right! Gabbert is better at doing something neither one of them have done in a live game environment!!!

Please....

The fact Gabbert is sitting above Newton in some people's mocks is absurd.

I gave Pickles the benefit of the doubt. I HOPED he could do something out there. He failed. What he did in college is irrelevant now as we have NFL stats.

Besides, this is a comparison of Gabbert and Newton... not Clausen and Newton.

Most people who have watched Cam's games have not complained that the majority of his good throws come from outside the pocket(for a prospect where they have, see Jake Locker), but that the throws he makes are very quick reads that do not show a great deal of progression. So while I understand that Yas may be trying to show Cam is a pocket passer, I think that stats alone do not make a proper comparison between two quarterbacks in trying to evaluate how much of a "pocket passer" they were.

So if a guy looks at one or two recievers covered and then saw a lane open to gain 20 yards running he's get punished for it. You rather have a guy that gets happy feet looking at three recievers then decides to check it down for 5 yards or scramble for 2 1/2.

You're kidding yourself if you think Blaine's intangibles surpass Newton.

there's abig difference between Clausen's stats and Newton's, mainly the 16-0 and Championship.

hate to break it to you, but going undefeated in college does not even come close to guaranteeing success in the NFL.

The fact Gabbert is sitting above Newton in some people's mocks is absurd.

Why is it so hard for you to believe someone just disagrees with you?

The point I'm trying to make is that it's not about comparing statistics with the NFL draft. They play a very small role in it all. It's more about the film and what skills they show that can translate to the NFL. Some people think what Gabbert brings to the table is more pertinent to the NFL. Others don't agree. Obviously, if there was agreement over him or Newton or any other prospect in this draft we wouldn't even be discussing this because the Panthers would likely already knew who they were picking.

Gabbert's shown a variety of skills that can translate well to the NFL. Some of them relate to being a pocket passer. Yas was trying to show that Cam Newton is a great passer too, in and out of the pocket. That's fine, but the problem is that it's not just statistics that tell that story. Nobody is denying Cam Newton put up great stats and found a way to get his guys the balls. Some just question whether that success and the way he found it will translate to the NFL (many of those same people also are unsure of Gabbert, since I think there's only one or two posters here who actually want Gabbert with our #1).

So if a guy looks at one or two recievers covered and then saw a lane open to gain 20 yards running he's get punished for it. You rather have a guy that gets happy feet looking at three recievers then decides to check it down for 5 yards or scramble for 2 1/2.

You're kidding yourself if you think Blaine's intangibles surpass Newton.

Not punished for it. But that kind of thing isn't going to happen as often in the NFL as it did at Auburn. He's going to have to either check it down or make a tough throw.

I didn't say Gabbert's intangibles did outweight NEwtons, but they could. I don't know either man personally, I have not interviewed them. All I can say is that Gabbert's intangibles are off the chart according to people who have met him, talked with him, and worked with him. I'm sure the same could be said of Newton. They have certainly had different lives in college and Newton's early missteps still haunt him today. Gabbert hasn't really had any character questions at all.

They both came from spread offenses, QB A had better numbers than QB B, and QB A won a national championship, QB B did not.....QB A played in a tougher division with more NFL talent, QB B did not....I wish both QB A and QB B best of luck, whoever does their home work after every practice and game will have a higher chance to survive and thrive in the NFL

I find this thread pretty humorous. Guys that are Anti Cam and pro Gabbert are lining up to make excuses about how one year doesn't make the difference and how Gabbert didn't have aa great senior year but did better overall, he is more accurate, has better footwork, etc.

The Cam Supporters take this as evidence of what they already knew which is Cam is better.

My take on it is two fold. I think that Auburn's offensive system was better and customized to what Newton did best. Second I think that Newton is a much better production guy than Gabbert. In other words it may not look pretty, it may not be by the textbook or show pretty footwork, but Newton delivered more under pressure and was more successful when the game was on the line. He rose to the challenge and delivered under pressure.

That is a big reason I like him and what I think seperates him from Clausen for example. Clausen played not to screw up, Newton played to win. That is not taught, that comes frrom within.

I didn't say Gabbert's intangibles did outweight NEwtons, but they could. I don't know either man personally, I have not interviewed them. All I can say is that Gabbert's intangibles are off the chart according to people who have met him, talked with him, and worked with him. I'm sure the same could be said of Newton. They have certainly had different lives in college and Newton's early missteps still haunt him today. Gabbert hasn't really had any character questions at all.

So were back to "character issues".

You guys just need to fugin man up and say "I don't like Newton because he's been accused of stuff, not because of any football related facts!"

Nevermind none of that has any bearing on being a professional athlete.

Gotcha! ;)

Archived