• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Yas: By the numbers - Newton vs. Gabbert

blackcatgrowl

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/19015/by-the-numbers-newton-vs-gabbert

By the numbers: Newton vs. Gabbert

March, 9, 2011 Mar 910:31AM

By Pat Yasinskas

The debate about who is the best quarterback in the 2011 draft seems to be down to Auburn’s Cam Newton and Missouri’s Blaine Gabbert. It's relevant in the NFC South because the Carolina Panthers hold the first overall pick and could end up going with a quarterback.

With the help of ESPN Stats & Information, let’s take a look at the two quarterbacks. We’ll start by comparing them when throwing down the field.

On throws of 15 yards or more in their respective conference games last season, Newton completed 49 percent of his passes with seven touchdowns and three interceptions. Gabbert completed 37.5 percent of his passes with four touchdowns and two interceptions.

Newton also held the edge last season when facing the blitz. We’re talking only conference games again, but here’s what happened when opponents sent five or more pass-rushers. Newton completed 73.5 percent of his passes with five touchdowns and no interceptions. Gabbert completed 44.8 percent of his passes with four touchdowns and no interceptions.

Newton’s got a reputation for being mobile that’s backed up by his success throwing outside the pocket. In conference games, he completed 20 of 30 throws outside the pocket with two touchdowns and averaged 9.7 yards per attempt. In similar situations, Gabbert completed six of 20 passes with one touchdown and averaged 4.5 yards per attempt.

Newton’s mobility has some people thinking he’s not a pocket passer, but the numbers tell a different story. In conference games, Newton completed 67.7 percent of his passes with 14 touchdowns and three interceptions. Gabbert completed 61.1 percent with nine touchdowns and four interceptions.

One final note on Gabbert: He threw all 267 of his passes against Big 12 opponents after lining up in the shotgun.

You don't draft a QB based only on numbers in their last season in college... In fact, it doesn't play much of a role at all.

That said, Newton had a great college season last year, I don't think anyone doubts that. Gabbert did not.

Before I start, I'll agree that Newton is the better QB prospect(that is until I see Gabbert throw at his pro day)...

but I've said this numerous times, stats in college, especially for guys in an offense like Auburns, are misleading(and for the most part meaningless). A LOT of his deep throws were broken coverages where his receiver was 10 yards behind the nearest defender because everyone would key in on his run game.

You don't draft a QB based only on numbers in their last season in college... In fact, it doesn't play much of a role at all.

That said, Newton had a great college season last year, I don't think anyone doubts that. Gabbert did not.

That's my concern with Gabbert, TBH. If he can't produce in college what makes anyone think he can in the NFL? College stats don't mean much in the NFL, but at least Newton did perform and put up good stats so you know he can at least play at the college level. Gabbert's performance leaves a lot more doubt, IMO.

In the end, it won't play much of a role, but at the same time, you have to wonder if Gabbert can't produce in a system that typically produces huge QB stats, then what exactly is he doing rated ahead of a guy who played in a similar system whose stats blow his out of the water? I could understand if his physical talent was that much better than Newton's, but that's far from the case.

That's my concern with Gabbert, TBH. If he can't produce in college what makes anyone think he can in the NFL? College stats don't mean much in the NFL, but at least Newton did perform and put up good stats so you know he can at least play at the college level. Gabbert's performance leaves a lot more doubt, IMO.

To be fair though. He had a great year last year so he have produced on college.

Archived