• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All Signs Point to Newton as Panthers' #1

Catalyst

Hadn't seen this posted yet, though I'm sure most of us have read it by now. I wonder if they know something we don't that they aren't allowed to report because it's 'off the record'?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/03/15/2143820/all-signs-point-to-newton-as-panthers.html

The Carolina Panthers will select Cam Newton with the first pick in the NFL draft, or are working hard to convince the football world they plan to.

Newton is hugely controversial. One Charlotte man plans to print anti-Newton T-shirts before the draft. Many of the fans who wear them will contend that Cam is a candidate only because Philadelphia's Michael Vick had an outstanding 2010.

But watch. Newton will play more like Roethlisberger than he does Vick or Vince Young, the running quarterback that washed out at Tennessee.

Wow. I just hope he understands how hard he's going to have to work to be a great NFL quarterback.

I did like this line:

No matter who you are or what you do, there comes a time when you disdain the safe and the predictable and you try to be great.

Perhaps you didn't understand what I meant by "informed speculation."

I was referring to the evidence we've all heard and read about regarding the Panthers' interest in Newton. It's the same information I'm using when I speculate that we're going to take him. That's what I meant, not that he had been told something officially.

Perhaps you didn't understand what I meant by "informed speculation."

I was referring to the evidence we've all heard and read about regarding the Panthers' interest in Newton. It's the same information I'm using when I speculate that we're going to take him. That's what I meant, not that he had been told something officially.

Oh, there has definitely been evidence that we may be leaning towards drafting Cam. But that article was fluff all the way.

I'm neither in love with Newton nor do I hate Newton but this quote from the article is the reason I'm for drafting Newton with the first pick.

No matter who you are or what you do, there comes a time when you disdain the safe and the predictable and you try to be great.

Or we could trade back which is what I want.

I'm neither in love with Newton nor do I hate Newton but this quote from the article is the reason I'm for drafting Newton with the first pick.

Or we could trade back which is what I want.

We would not be playing it safe by passing on Newton, management would be using their brains. Nothing about this guy shows he can be an elite QB at this level and just being a good athlete doesn't quite cut it. Cam either will be a wasted pick or even if he does pan out it'll take years. Too much at stake to have a bust or long term project.

Again, I'll puke.

Archived