• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All Signs Point to Newton as Panthers' #1

Catalyst

6'5 250 pounds is bigger than 6'0 237. Height per square inch is meaningless. A 2 and a half foot midget that weighed 100 pounds would be 3.33 pound per inch. That means nothing to me. I certainly wouldn't want him on my football team. :lol:

And regardless he is just as big if he isn't bigger. My main point is he is a big fugger and not a delicate little flower. I think we can agree on that.

Being taller and weighing more doesn't equal bigger, not to me at least. If Cam was bigger, he would have more pounds per inch. He doesn't. Yes Cam is big, but saying he is bigger than any LB on our roster is a lie.

Cam Newton would get killed in the NFL playing the same way he did at Auburn. Literally killed. Did you see how hard Oregon beat him up?? OREGON?? Grah. No offense to that defense or to Cam because they both play hard, but Oregon's defense didn't strike me as huge guys.

Good thing nobody in their right mind would want Cam Newton to play the same way in the NFL as he did at Auburn.

He'll end up being more of a scrambling threat on the edge than an option-offense threat. The threat of that run won't leave his guys open deep like it did in college but I bet it will open up a lot of intermediate and short routes to other guys that they can translate into some nice gains. Linebackers will have to consider his athleticism when he breaks the pocket and starts to scramble. The thing is, imo, this is true of most of the top 5-6 quarterbacks in this draft... Don't know a ton about Ponder and Mallett isn't scrambling anywhere, but the rest could take off and be a threat on the edge to get first downs.

He was hurt before the national championship game from a back injury in practice. Not because of Oregon.

But obviously no one want him to run 18 times a game like he did in college.

But you guys think NFL linebackers are bigger and stronger than they really are. Hell they had a hard time tackling The Golden Calf of Bristol this past year why would it suddenly be a piece of cake against Cam. They have a hard time tackling Big Ben. Why will it be so easy against Cam.

I just don't buy it the way you guys do.

Having said that we all agree we don't want him to run 18 times a game. That would be foolish I agree.

Being taller and weighing more doesn't equal bigger, not to me at least. If Cam was bigger, he would have more pounds per inch. He doesn't. Yes Cam is big, but saying he is bigger than any LB on our roster is a lie.

A midget could have more pound per square inch. It is meaningless!! That is why boxing and MMA is bracketed by weight and not weight per square inch. Because that is meaningless.

Cam Newton will be bad his first year if he starts. If he realizes that this isn't going to be like college where his natural skills and talents will carry him if he follows the scheme, he might have a chance at making it.

6'5 250 > 6'0 237 Any day of the week.

We're also not factoring in the speeds at which they would be moving... If I'm not mistaken, Beast clocked only about a 4.7 before he was drafted, although he said he was slightly injured at the time and I think he's more like a 4.5 guy. And Cam ran a 4.5.

Then again, Beast has a lower center of gravity.

Why any of this matters, I have no idea? :lol:

A midget could have more pound per square inch. It is meaningless!! That is why boxing and MMA is bracketed by weight and not weight per square inch. Because that is meaningless.

Except when you are talking about who is BIGGER!!!! Someone who is 50 inches and 200 pounds is bigger than someone who is 70 inches and 205 pounds.

Except when you are talking about who is BIGGER!!!! Someone who is 50 inches and 200 pounds is bigger than someone who is 70 inches and 205 pounds.

If a guy was 4'2 200 pounds his Body Mass Index would be so high he would biologically have be a lot fatter than a leaner 5'8 205 pounder. At those heights and weights it is probably a safe bet that the 5'8 205 pounder would have more lean muscle mass and likely be much stronger than a fat little 4'2 kid.

That is why in order to do a true apples to apples comparison you would need to know body fat%, etc.

You are also talking about extreme cases that are a biological improbability.

But if they were boxers and the cutoff weight was 201 pounds the little fat guy would be in a weight class lower than the taller trim guy because weight per inch doesn't really matter.

Same as a 30 inch midget that weighs 100 pounds would have a 3.33 pound per inch advantage over Beason and Newton.

If a guy was 4'2 200 pounds his Body Mass Index would be so high he would biologically have be a lot fatter than a leaner 5'8 205 pounder. At those heights and weights it is probably a safe bet that the 5'8 205 pounder would have more lean muscle mass and likely be much stronger than a fat little 4'2 kid.

That is why in order to do a true apples to apples comparison you would need to know body fat%, etc.

You are also talking about extreme cases that are a biological improbability.

But if they were boxers and the cutoff weight was 201 pounds the little fat guy would be in a weight class lower than the taller trim guy because weight per inch doesn't really matter.

Same as a 30 inch midget that weighs 100 pounds would have a 3.33 pound per inch advantage over Beason and Newton.

This is my last post before I hit the sheets. I used that extreme case on purpose. Yeah the 205 would be leaner and stronger but the 200 IMO is "bigger". And I would consider that midget bigger than both of them :thumbsup:

This is my last post before I hit the sheets. I used that extreme case on purpose. Yeah the 205 would be leaner and stronger but the 200 IMO is "bigger". And I would consider that midget bigger than both of them :thumbsup:

LOL. This might be the worst argument I have ever been in. I think we really accomplished nothing in the end. Oh well. :lol: Fighting over pounds per height. Jeebus.

LOL. This might be the worst argument I have ever been in. I think we really accomplished nothing in the end. Oh well. :lol: Fighting over pounds per height. Jeebus.

Least we debated without personal attacks :cornut: (now really logging off)

Archived