• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All Signs Point to Newton as Panthers' #1

Catalyst

Still find it amusing that the Newton Nut-huggers want to give Newton a luxury (sitting for a year or two) that they were not willing to give Clausen.

But... but... Clausen was Pro Ready wasn't he?? When did he turn into a project???

I was all-for giving Clausen the same chance. I wanted him to sit for a year as well, but he didn't and had his chance to play. Had he showed something during that time I might be more inclined to stick with him. He showed nothing. No signs of development. Nothing.

And besides, Clausen was supposed to be "pro ready." Newton is not. I like him a lot, but even I admit he's not ready to start day one. You sit him and let him learn and develop I think we'll have a monster on our hands at QB. He gets forced onto the field too early and he may still reach his potential, but you're risking it a lot more than with a guy like Clausen who was familiar with a pro-style offense.

Still find it amusing that the Newton Nut-huggers want to give Newton a luxury (sitting for a year or two) that they were not willing to give Clausen.

Well, you know I'm a Newton fan... so I'll throw this in here...

September 20th, 2010

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2679138&postcount=28

For whatever reason it happened... Moore is finished... I can't disagree with the decision to change starters.

But I'm very concerned that Clausen is going to wind up in the same position. Playing behind an O-Line that isn't blocking well is a dangerous thing for any QB.

If we start this kid and he gets destroyed with poor ass protection, we'll not only have ended Moore's shot at a starter role, but potentially shell-shocked what could be a franchise QB. This is very risky

Starting Rookies, especially when your O-line isn't playing 100%, is generally a bad idea.

I find it amusing that "Haters" now think Clausen should have sat for a year to develop but think Luck would be able to start day 1.

Another thing I can't figure out with the Yo-Gabba-Gabba feast in the media, why they kept saying about Newton "His workout doesn't matter, his Pro Day doesn't matter.

But today I am surfing around the net and all I read is today Gabbert will be the best QB and number one overall pick after his pro day. He can't complete passes further than 15 yards down field on tape but now that he has his pro day everyone will be clamoring for the guy????? I thought game tape was more important? It was for Newton wasn't it.

And people still think the media is in love with Newton. LOL.

Yeah, I don't get the Gabbert love AT ALL. He's from a spread offense - same as Newton - has all the same on-field questions + his inability to throw an accurate deep ball, which isn't a huge problem for Newton.

So why is he the consensus top QB? I'm not one to jump on the racism bandwagon, but I have been wondering about it with Gabbert for a while now. From what I've seen of both of them he's not half the natural talent Newton is. Sure, the off-field questions are there with Cam, but that's not what most 'experts' reference when saying how much better Gabbert is.

I'd be surprised if we take Gabbert when he has such problems with the deep ball, which is what we're building our passing game around. Those two elements just don't mix.

Has any team ever went so public with their intentions except for the purpose of bluffing?

The team hasn't gone public with anything.

This is a speculation piece by Sorenson, who amusingly enough, generally gets ripped to shred on here :lol:

We haven't gone public. What's been reported has been leaked via league sources, just as our workouts/interviews with Peterson, Mallett, Dareus, etc.

Where in this article do you see a single source cited?

This is all Sorenson.

I love Tom. He is one of the few guys that if I shoot him an email he responds back. He is an opinion guy and so if his opinion doesn't coincide with your own you rip him. When it does you love him. I have sent him emails challenging his articles many times and he has always been gracious with his response.

I don't always agree with him but he seems like a pretty good guy in my limited correspondence with him.

Someone tell me how drafting a defensive player is improving the offense? We get a vet (Like so many of you want) and let Clausen and the Vet battle it out while Newton sits and learns for a year.

I guarantee if Brady would have started his first year, he wouldn't be in the position that he is now as an elite QB. The same can be said for Aaron Rodgers, Phillip Rivers, and Carson Palmer

Yeah, I don't get the Gabbert love AT ALL. He's from a spread offense - same as Newton - has all the same on-field questions + his inability to throw an accurate deep ball, which isn't a huge problem for Newton.

So why is he the consensus top QB? I'm not one to jump on the racism bandwagon, but I have been wondering about it with Gabbert for a while now. From what I've seen of both of them he's not half the natural talent Newton is. Sure, the off-field questions are there with Cam, but that's not what most 'experts' reference when saying how much better Gabbert is.

I'd be surprised if we take Gabbert when he has such problems with the deep ball, which is what we're building our passing game around. Those two elements just don't mix.

Exactley the Gabbert hype is crazy. Most media networks have been saying after the pro day he will be the number 1 guy. But if he was so good why he want the number 1 guy from the start.Thats what makes me believe that if we arent taking newton we arent going to take a QB. I just dont understand.

Someone tell me how drafting a defensive player is improving the offense? We get a vet (Like so many of you want) and let Clausen and the Vet battle it out while Newton sits and learns for a year.

I guarantee if Brady would have started his first year, he wouldn't be in the position that he is now as an elite QB. The same can be said for Aaron Rodgers, Phillip Rivers, and Carson Palmer

Well yeah, except Palmer is far from an elite QB anymore.

Archived